Russian squad has:

Nepomniachtchi

Grischuk

Dubov

Kosteniuk

Goryachkina

Esipenko

Shuvalova

Not winning against that team. Their junior boy Esipenko is 18 yo, girl Shuvalova is 19, come on that is unfair on Indian kids. Nepo at the peak of his powers against a 50 yo who qualifies for FIDE's senior tournaments, Grischuk against Vidit who he outrates by 150 points in rapid, their women are good (one is ex-world champ, other is reigning runner-up) but we may have a slight edge there.

Our time will come.

Edited by Gollum

Just now, cowboysfan said:

what is Armageddon chess?

Tie breaker.

White gets 6 minutes, black 5....white has to win to win TB, black just needs to draw to get home the point. Exact time may differ from tournament to tournament but white always has more time, can be white 3 mins, black 2, 4/3, 7/5 whatever. 

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

Hate armageddon chess, crazy invention of Kirsan. I would prefer sudden death like situation except in blitz mode. 

Armageddon is bad but probably has some logic ...no increment somehow I think lessens the chance of draws,( black can be flagged without increment much more easily)... otherwise, with 5 mins vs 4 mins with say 2 sec increment gives massive edge to black (because draw chances increase)..

Edit: flagging means losing the game on time.

Edited by randomGuy

Valiant effort, 1st set 3-3, going equal in 2nd set but net connection issue meant 2 of our players lost on time, one was even winning. Internet chess is not a solution precisely because of this. Ok never mind, we can only improve from here. Good tournament Team India. 

1 minute ago, randomGuy said:

Had the match continued without internet connection loss Divya may have won as she was in a advantageous position and we would have had an Armageddon if we Nihal would have drawn ..fair result would have been a final decided by Armageddon not by internet connection loss

Even Humpy lost her net connection and therefore the time pressure when she finally reconnected. 

Chinese federation housed its players in some research institutes which had secure net connection and proper backups. We don't even have a chess fed now with 2 camps in AICF. 

9 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

Been really interested in chess off late..can anyone suggest any good books..I am looking for one on middle game

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Dunno about books, but you can solve puzzles, train tactics on sites like lichess, chess24 or chess.com...if you have subscription you can get access to middlegame lectures on those sites. 

This YT channel has some fine video series by GMs/IMs/WGMs like Finegold, Akobian, Shahade, Ramirez, Rosen, Abrahamyan etc. If you have sufficient time, some great learning content there, and free!!!

https://www.youtube.com/c/STLChessClub/videos

Edited by Gollum

8 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Even Humpy lost her net connection and therefore the time pressure when she finally reconnected. 

Chinese federation housed its players in some research institutes which had secure net connection and proper backups. We don't even have a chess fed now with 2 camps in AICF. 

Right but it was chess.com server issue

1 minute ago, randomGuy said:

Right but it was chess.com server issue

Ok then, bad luck. I was following the games on chessbomb, so didn't have access to commentary. 

Edited by Gollum