I'm so depressed

Rohip

After the Aussie series I thought we were going to rule cricket and beat South Africa but the first match was drawn and we lost the second match in 3 days. Even Bangladesh took 4 days for this South African side to beat but we gave up in 3. Now the best we can hope for is a drawn series but that means we have to win the next game and I dont think we will. Another test series loss, this is getting so depressing. Am I alone?

After the Aussie series I thought we were going to rule cricket and beat South Africa but the first match was drawn and we lost the second match in 3 days. Even Bangladesh took 4 days for this South African side to beat but we gave up in 3. Now the best we can hope for is a drawn series but that means we have to win the next game and I dont think we will. Another test series loss, this is getting so depressing. Am I alone?
nope whineleg, fineleg, and dandaroy are with u :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:
so you're happy about us losing in 3 days and now fighting to draw the series? What sort of fan are you?
should i be depressed or feel sorry for a team which was raped in its own home?? couldnt survive for more than 20 ovs?? the team that after the chennai test went for a IPL photoshoot?? the selectors who are hell bent on giving jaffer more chances blocking karthik, ghambhir or badrinaths place in the playing 11?

The problem is not with the team, its with the fans. Its unreasonable to expect 'em to win day in and day out. Like all of us, the players have their off-days too. This is not some video-game, where once you have timed a fast time on the Racing game, you keep beating that time everyday from then on. This is real-life sport, people make mistakes. I can understand we fans want our team to win all the team. Its partially due to the sense of patriotism and mostly due to the higher expectations due to recent wins. But a mature fan will rise above the mediocre expectations of win/loss and have a more sophisticated understanding and sense of enjoyment about the game. Simply put, its not about winning/losing, its about watching the game for fun, that is all. And most of all, the media needs to take a BIG share of the blame. They hype up cricket as some sort of life-style, a passion and way of expressing your 'Indianess'. They need something to make readers buy their newspapers and newscasts, so they will continue to use cricket as an instrument to attract the viewer so that they get advertising revenue out it. All of us conveniently fall for that trap, start having himalayan expectations of the team. For a change, lets all start looking beyond mere win/loss terms and start enjoying the cricket for the game that it is.

The problem is not with the team, its with the fans. Its unreasonable to expect 'em to win day in and day out. Like all of us, the players have their off-days too. This is not some video-game, where once you have timed a fast time on the Racing game, you keep beating that time everyday from then on. This is real-life sport, people make mistakes. I can understand we fans want our team to win all the team. Its partially due to the sense of patriotism and mostly due to the higher expectations due to recent wins. But a mature fan will rise above the mediocre expectations of win/loss and have a more sophisticated understanding and sense of enjoyment about the game. Simply put, its not about winning/losing, its about watching the game for fun, that is all. And most of all, the media needs to take a BIG share of the blame. They hype up cricket as some sort of life-style, a passion and way of expressing your 'Indianess'. They need something to make readers buy their newspapers and newscasts, so they will continue to use cricket as an instrument to attract the viewer so that they get advertising revenue out it. All of us conveniently fall for that trap, start having himalayan expectations of the team. For a change, lets all start looking beyond mere win/loss terms and start enjoying the cricket for the game that it is.
ok its unreasonable to expect them to win every game but to lose in 3 days at home is pathetic so its our fault that the team played like a bunch of sissies :cantstop:
every day the first thing zee news talks abt is cricket whether it be their perofrmance or team selection if they actually spent some more time on other important things, im sure india would be a lot better
And most of all, the media needs to take a BIG share of the blame. They hype up cricket as some sort of life-style, a passion and way of expressing your 'Indianess'. They need something to make readers buy their newspapers and newscasts, so they will continue to use cricket as an instrument to attract the viewer so that they get advertising revenue out it. All of us conveniently fall for that trap, start having himalayan expectations of the team. For a change, lets all start looking beyond mere win/loss terms and start enjoying the cricket for the game that it is.
Couldnt have said it better.

Good post mm. I feel that the OZ series was just so physically and emotionally sapping for most of the players that they simply haven't recharged yet and have almost no drive or motivation in this series so far. I hope that the 76 all out debacle has done something to wake them up.

Good post mm. I feel that the OZ series was just so physically and emotionally sapping for most of the players that they simply haven't recharged yet and have almost no drive or motivation in this series so far. I hope that the 76 all out debacle has done something to wake them up.
You put your finger on it Gambit. That is EXACTLY the problem. And the innings loss in three days is exactly the SOLUTION to wake them up from their slumber.
ok its unreasonable to expect them to win every game but to lose in 3 days at home is pathetic so its our fault that the team played like a bunch of sissies :cantstop:
It happens, to every team in every sport. Upsets and unexpected performances arent new to us. The history of the game is littered with examples of how teams that were expected to win handsomely lost unexpectedly. Can there be a bigger proof for this, than the WC'83 finals ? You, me, as well as everyone on this board know we are far far better than managing a mere 76 against the Saffie attack. Unfortunately, it was one of those days, those freakish occurrences. Unfortunately, we had to pay a heavy price for it. Too bad, but cant help it.
every day the first thing zee news talks abt is cricket whether it be their perofrmance or team selection if they actually spent some more time on other important things, im sure india would be a lot better
The truth is, no sport is bigger than the other. Its just that the media decides which bandwagon it wants to jump into, so that it can get maximum profit out of it.
I am not so sure about that, to be honest. I have feeling that we would have lost that match anyway. For those conditions, the Saffies were one quantum level ahead of us, both interms of talent and form. If things had gone as usual, I would like to think we would have made somewhere around 300 in our first innings, and lost the match by end of 4th day or beginning of day 5, and not by the third day itself.
It happens' date=' to every team in every sport. Upsets and unexpected performances arent new to us. The history of the game is littered with examples of how teams that were expected to win handsomely lost unexpectedly. Can there be a bigger proof for this, than the WC'83 finals ? [/quote'] Oh for f#ck's sake, why do people still maintain that was a fluke win? Read the GD history books - India beat West Indies earlier in the tournament as well. Look up the history for yourself instead of just reading revisionist nonsense and the standard hype about the WI team, consider the conditions and it becomes very evident that India did NOT win out of a sheer raw fluke. They were the better team in those conditions with a well balanced lineup to take them to victory over WI. As far as SA's win, not a fluke either. Enough signs were present at Chennai, where India's bowlers couldn't learn anything and kept making the same stupid mistakes in both innings, whereas SAF's bowlers showed a fantastic learning curve and responded brilliantly (150-odd/9 on day 4, was it?) after being cleaned up by Sehwag on day 3. They figured out how to bowl in the conditions better than India, they figured out how to bat in the conditions better than India and were the better team.
Fikar not birather...all of us are with you! :cheers: This is the best best quality that our team has, it takes no time to come down from the peak of Mount Everest to Gangetic plane...ours is very honest and spontaneous team. In one match it touches the unmatched heights and in the next it avoids all the pride and credit of it. Inconsistency is the secret of our team's combination, dukh to hota hai dost... humein to apni team ne ruswa kiya, auron se kya shikwa karna badaldaalne ki himmat nahin, murat banakar pooja karte hain but, lets hope that someday until we live India will prevail consistently like Aussies did the last decade...
Oh for f#ck's sake' date=' [b']why do people still maintain that was a fluke win? Read the GD history books - India beat West Indies earlier in the tournament as well. Look up the history for yourself instead of just reading revisionist nonsense and the standard hype about the WI team, consider the conditions and it becomes very evident that India did NOT win out of a sheer raw fluke. They were the better team in those conditions with a well balanced lineup to take them to victory over WI.
Never said it was a fluke Win, All I said was that we have seen ENOUGH instances of unexpected results and performances. And I think you will win agree with me when I say the Windies were *expected* to win handsomely against the Indians in the finals. No one here is actually doubting the Indians' capability to have won the match.
As far as SA's win' date=' not a fluke either. Enough signs were present at Chennai, where India's bowlers couldn't learn anything and kept making the same stupid mistakes in both innings, whereas SAF's bowlers showed a fantastic learning curve and responded brilliantly (150-odd/9 on day 4, was it?) after being cleaned up by Sehwag on day 3. They figured out how to bowl in the conditions better than India, they figured out how to bat in the conditions better than India and were the better team.[/quote'] :dontknow: This was the latter part of the same post that you had quoted earlier.
I am not so sure about that, to be honest. I have feeling that we would have lost that match anyway. For those conditions, the Saffies were one quantum level ahead of us, both interms of talent and form. If things had gone as usual, I would like to think we would have made somewhere around 300 in our first innings, and lost the match by end of 4th day or beginning of day 5, and not by the third day itself.

the worst part is that after chennai's run fest Vengsarkar declared " we're the best in the world". It is this eagerness to declare ourselves the best that is so immature. our team is frankly a bunch of naturally talented flair players. they are not the kind of sporting machines that aus or saf produce. so they will win against impossible odds one day and then lose as badly the next day to half a cricket side. that's how it is and we need to accept that that's how indian cricket is. unless the whole cricketing system is utterly professional from the ground up, we would struggle to have teams that deliver superb consistency. and if the team is told that they are not expected to be the best and the leading torch bearers of intnl cricket, i have a sneaking feeling they will play much better and give smacking performances more often.