What happened to Lyon?

Serpico

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

He took 6 wickets at 57.67 in the first three tests. Even Jadeja outbowled him in just two matches.. is he declining or has indian batsmen worked him out finally? Or is it just that pacers are taking all the wickets? 

in 2012 tour: played only 3 matches- 7 wicekts at 41

2014 tour: 23 wickets at 34.8

2018 tour: 21 wickets at 30.43

Combination of pacers taking wickets (especially Cummins), and in the last innings Paine dropping catches :whack:

To quote an exchange from Cricinfo on the final day (I think this after Paine dropped Pant for the second time off Lyon):

Bobbe: "Can Saha come and keep for us too?"

Nitin: "@Bobbe When I was a kid and we played on the streets of my hometown, there was a concept of player who played for both teams. Employed when there were odd number of kids available to play. Maybe these 2 teams can utilize Saha in that way. "

Edited by Hojoborolo

Also, the pitch just didn't deteriorate as much as expected for Day 5. It happens more commonly elsewhere -- e.g., in New Zealand, where the pitches typically go flat as a pancake by day 4 and you need something really extraordinary (see: Neil Wagner) to take wickets in the 3rd and 4th innings (if the visiting team can survive that long ... so when India was touring, it didn't really come to that; but see for instance the first test against Pakistan this year: Wagner had to bowl marathon spells filled with patient and repetitive use of well-directed bouncers to get the job done).

Edited by Hojoborolo
8 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Even at home O keefe, Panesar, Swann,Shaun Udal ( incredible)..and Moeen Ali in England..and the most gutting one .. Herath ( we lost that match though we had a lead of 189 freaking runssss) 

No shame getting out to Panesar, Swann or Rangana Herath (the last one is surely one of the ATG). Shaun Udal is a bit of a what-might-have-been (especially if he had debuted earlier, and if England had better management of spinners with plans specifically for away tours, rather than have Ashley Giles bowl over the wicket wide of leg stump into the rough and wait for the new ball), so again no real shame in that either ...

Finally, non-subcontinental spinners are often underrated, because they typically toil away in unhelpful conditions, especially Graeme Swann. He had, at his best, quite good dip and spin, and should have debuted earlier -- again, instead of having Giles bowl wide of leg stump into the rough, etc.

23 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Oh gosh the pain.. how did we lose this match. Yes Rohit didnt play extravagant shot which he unfortunately played in Adelaide in 2018 first innings which we fortunately won. But this video brings back sad memories..pitch was not a minefield.. fast bowlers were being played with ease.. we should have won this.. but again who knows if India won it Dhoni might not have retired!!

I don't know why bcci didn't want DRS. Yesterdays match could have easily been lost if not for the reviews

12 hours ago, Serpico said:

Rohit had a bat pad catch in adelaide chase

watch at 5:30 

Ah, memories !!!

We were cruising at tea and then this happened. Lyon was turning square that day. If not for Vijay's tentativeness in Ninties, India could have closed this match. Rahane was given out wrongly, if I remember it correctly.

1 hour ago, Bigg Brother said:

India could have closed this match. Rahane was given out wrongly, if I remember it correctly.

Also given out wrongly earlier in the NZ test 2013/14 when we were chasing 400 odd, pretty BS that we've had to suffer so many *ing umpiring errors over the years :whack3:

I distinctly remember at least half a dozen probable chases that were ruined by the likes of *nor & Co :hmpf:

1 hour ago, R!TTER said:

Also given out wrongly earlier in the NZ test 2013/14 when we were chasing 400 odd, pretty BS that we've had to suffer so many *ing umpiring errors over the years :whack3:

I distinctly remember at least half a dozen probable chases that were ruined by the likes of *nor & Co :hmpf:

Yeah. Rahane was given out Lbw despite big inside edge when we were chasing 400 odd against NZ. Thanks to Kohli and new TM, they agreed to bring DRS.

Ashwin has owned Lyon this series, and he wasn't even fit in the SCG match. Too many inferiority complex ridden Indians keep downplaying Ashwin and putting Lyon on a pedestal, if this series doesn't change their view nothing ever will. See Lyon is still a champion bowler but folks here love to mock Ashwin's achievements to praise Lyon, why so?

Ashwin with back spasms (like peak VVS in some of his great 4th innings knocks) heroically batting for 45 overs in 4th innings on day 5, playing so many overs of Lyon and comfortably must add. If situation were reversed, injured Lyon defying Ashwin on day 5 Indian pitch for last 1.5 sessions in 4th innings, I am sure the server here would have crashed. The Ashwin-Lyon H2H is the main reason series is still 1-1.  

I don't care what happens at Gabba, this isn't a fair contest anymore. 

Edited by Gollum