Which Test team is better? Graeme Smith's South Africa Or Virat Kohli's India?

Jay

Two of the greatest Test sides from their respective countries in this century are Graeme Smith led South Africa from 2007-2014 and Virat Kohli led India from 2015-present.

So the question is which of these two Test teams is better Smith's South Africa or Kohli's India ?

saw an interesting topic on our neighbours forum. interesting i would say.

i think virats india will demolish them at home. the indian side saffers faced in 2011 was a declining team and still managed to draw in s.africa. vriats india plays bounce and pace better albeit struggle with swing. 

india will lose away but it will be a close affair.

india wins at home 2 - 0 in a 3 test series. 

south africa wins 2-1 in their home.

imo india has a better chance of winning in south africa than the other way around. 

This thread looks familiar :hmmm:.

I would go with Smith’s team.

Smith’s team is missing a world class spinner. We have a pool of all types of bowlers. Batting Smith’s team has the edge.

Overall maybe Smith’s  team as pitches are more bowling friendly these days and a line up of Smith,Kallis,ABDV,Amla,Faf sounds much stronger on paper than Rohit,Kohli,Gill,Rahane,Pujara to counter bowling friendly conditions.

Edited by Global.Baba
4 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

This thread looks familiar :hmmm:.

I would go with Smith’s team.

Smith’s team is missing a world class spinner. We have a pool of all types of bowlers. Batting Smith’s team has the edge.

Overall maybe Smith’s  team as pitches are more bowling friendly these days and a line up of Smith,Kallis,ABDV,Amla,Faf sounds much stronger on paper than Rohit,Kohli,Gill,Rahane,Pujara to counter bowling friendly conditions.

dont see them winning in india though. prime virats team of 2017-2018 would demolish all teams at home. Rahane's team is even better. 

smith kallis abd would have problems vs our brutal pace attack. 

the bowling they faced in 2011 is no where near the current level of quality. 

in s.africa, yes it will be close but saffers should win. 

Smith’s SA ... competed superbly ... also another team where S Waugh had some great battles with (WI of 90s was another) making those encounters memorable 

Ind is great too esp. for Ind fans because of the two wins in Aus but apart from that take those home pitches out and you are left with a hollow feeling. Doing well primarily in one country pales in comparison to a team that competed almost everywhere 

Edited by zen
29 minutes ago, adi B said:

Smith's team definitely. 

That team had a record of not losing an away series for like close to a decade, unbelievable!

Also our batting looks dud in front of that mighty batting unit

In a h2h of 3 test series home and away, I believe 100% India Under rahane in particular will come out victorious overall. Also under Kohli. 

Edited by Jay
1 minute ago, MultiB48 said:

how many matches did sa win in asia?

Between 2007-14,

2 -2 in India( over two tours)

3-1 in Pakistan ( over three tours)

1-0 in SL( in 2014)

Overall, 6-3 in Asia.

Smith's SA became a great team between 2007-14. Before that, he was young himself and ABD, Steyn, Amla weren't established either.

Can't just win away and draw at home. They lost 2 series at home as well. 

Virat never lost a series at home. 

One more win for varaaat kulli in England and or n.z then it is all over for Smith's staffers. 

On a h2h battle, India should win.