IPL ... Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners ....

express bowling

15 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Sharjah is a lottery, puny ground. Lot of runs, was a graveyard for bowlers.

I am confused between Abu Dhabi & Dubai..but one had true pace and bounce. Other was spin friendly and sluggish.

some of the pitches were double paced with spongy bounce.

16 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Sharjah is a lottery, puny ground. Lot of runs, was a graveyard for bowlers.

I am confused between Abu Dhabi & Dubai..but one had true pace and bounce. Other was spin friendly and sluggish.

True pitch, especially under lights, is Dubai. 

Sluggish is Abu Dhabi.

A fresh Sharjah pitch is a great batting surface. 

But in those old Sharjah Cups, there were tired Sharjah decks where it was impossible to score.

Ambrose took 1/5 in 10 overs on such a Sharjah pitch. 

Just now, MediumPacer said:

yes ,stock ball should be slower if there is no grass on the pitch.

if there is grass then obviously it becomes difficult for the cutters, then need to bowl quickly and hit the deck 

Hmm...though I don't necessarily agree with it. I understand your thoughts here and I respect the rationale behind it.

Indian pitches are unforgiving for quicker bowlers, Ahmedabad has been the exception which has offered swing and movement for the quicks.

3 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

Hmm...though I don't necessarily agree with it. I understand your thoughts here and I respect the rationale behind it.

Indian pitches are unforgiving for quicker bowlers, Ahmedabad has been the exception which has offered swing and movement for the quicks.

It's not that straightforward. 

The problem with high pace in many Indian venues is that it's a double edged sword .  If you can consistently bowl in the channel , then there's nothing like it. 

But if you can't , its riskier than being 135 kph.

5 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

It's not that straightforward. 

The problem with high pace in many Indian venues is that it's a double edged sword .  If you can consistently bowl in the channel , then there's nothing like it. 

But if you can't , its riskier than being 135 kph.

Channels bowls in T20 is risk. We can't be predictable here on the slower pitches.

On slowish Indian pitches, T20 requires variations, a bowler should be able to change his lengths at will. Plus must have a strong yorker. 

A quick bowler who can clock 140+ should be able to surprise batter with a 106kph slower one and with a 145kph pin point yorker. Bumrah does well and hence he is the best T20 bowler for India.

Test cricket is all about attacking bowling, bowlers needs to create chances with no fear of RR.

T20 bowling is all about defensive bowling unless the bowler is Rashid khan or Malinga or is a mystery bowler. 

Stay away from batters hitting zone which seems to increasing every season lot many shots added batter making use of crease a lot better, they are able to spot slower one early (could be data thing as they know certain bowlers bowls more slower balls during certain period of time but they know slower ball is coming) and able to generate alot of power is their shots.

Bowlers are not evolving that fast, variations become usual stuff after a season or not what happened to Hrahal Patel. even mystery spinners are starting to finding it hard (Mujeeb and Theekshana).

Sandeep Sharma has been good in last 2 seasons he has variation and bowling defensively, but would like to see him against player who moves well in the crease and able to hit big square of the wkt, right now he is bowling away frm the batter mixing it up with some yorker and loopy bouncers. He is short and slightly side arm action (similar to Zaman-pak intnl who has the ability to bowl in early 140s kmph).

In T20 without any mystery bowler Pak has found some kind of balance with their bowling combination. Shaheen/Naseem to take wkts in PP then these defensive bowlers who hard to hit () take up the bowling , the batting side is already under pressure losing wkts in PP and then no-one is going after these defensive bowlers who are able to get wkts when batters start going after them(whn batters have to literally hit every ball)

We saw in WC pak failed to take wkts in PP and their defensive bowlers were unable to pick wkts as batters were not under pressure to hit every ball and they were able to pick their battles. And in last 10 over Pak bowlers would again come into play and get wkts as now batters were going after each ball (t20 stuff). Pathirana had similar story

So unless there is a mystery to the bowling right now no one knows what makes a good t20 bowler, the concentration should be make a good t20 bowling unit.  

Edited by tapandrun

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

Channels bowls in T20 is risk. We can't be predictable here on the slower pitches.

On slowish Indian pitches, T20 requires variations, a bowler should be able to change his lengths at will. Plus must have a strong yorker. 

A quick bowler who can clock 140+ should be able to surprise batter with a 106kph slower one and with a 145kph pin point yorker. Bumrah does well and hence he is the best T20 bowler for India.

I was talking generally. Not just T20's.  In the World Cup we saw that. Express bowlers were absolutely smashed every time they bowled wider than 6th stump.  Rauf and Wood particularly.  A slower bowler wouldn't have been hit so badly.

6 hours ago, MediumPacer said:

When they clock 140, even if it is for 1 ball, it isnt slow ,no matter what format it is .

And extra pace is of no use in india in tests if not directed properly ,didnt you watch wood getting spanked in india after his ashes heroics, how fast did he bowl? and mukesh has bowled 130-140 in tests as well ,i have never said he is quick but bowlers like mcgrath or pollock were of similar pace to him.

and if you bowl around 120-125 k then ball doesnt come on to the bat ,this is sandeep sharma's strength in these conditions, it's lot more difficult to time him.

Mcgrath 6'5 has bounce

Steep

So did Pollock. 

Vyshak has bowled really well but I don't think he's a long format bowler

Some of these guys - Mohit, Vyshak etc. have pretty good control and some good variations for certain pitches especially in this format. 

I can understand IPL teams not wanting to play quicker bowlers as it's a bit risky. 

What is problematic is giving foreign quicks a go ahead of Indian quicks when they are getting belted just the same.

Akashdeep should be given a go ahead of Alzarri. 

13 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Some of these guys - Mohit, Vyshak etc. have pretty good control and some good variations for certain pitches especially in this format. 

I can understand IPL teams not wanting to play quicker bowlers as it's a bit risky. 

What is problematic is giving foreign quicks a go ahead of Indian quicks when they are getting belted just the same.

Foreigners have better ability when it comes to pace and height,same with power hitting and fielding as well.

14 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

Foreigners have better ability when it comes to pace and height,same with power hitting and fielding as well.

You yourself said pace doesn't work on Indian pitches.  Then what's the harm giving Akashdeep a go ahead of Alzarri who is getting smashed anyway. 

13 hours ago, express bowling said:

Yes

it is a wrong decision by BCCI to select yash ahead of Khaleel.

Alzari was bowling only bouncers yesterday and venky had picked his bat half way UP as he knew a bouncer was coming - his job was just to touch the ball.

Alzari had to give few yorker or length balls too- if the batsman know what your next ball is , even if you are STARC or BOOM - you can get hit. alzari is such a highly talented bowler but he has to be intelligent too...smarter.

38 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

You yourself said pace doesn't work on Indian pitches.  Then what's the harm giving Akashdeep a go ahead of Alzarri who is getting smashed anyway. 

I was talking about cutters,not fast medium pace.He can be picked on a greenish quickish pitch but foreigners will get preference over Indians  because of their physical attributes.

1 hour ago, MediumPacer said:

Said who? India have plenty of quicks. It's some self hating mentality that's stopping our dumb selectors from picking our quality young quicks. 

Hitting ability maybe. They have better technique with batting in general but nothing that can't be trained. 

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Vyashak seems to have done very well in domestic cricket along with Kaverappa.  He is supposed to be a yard quicker than Kaverappa.  Last season he was hitting 140k frequently. 

He also got fast bowling contract from BCCI. 

Any idea what were his top speeds last night? 

41 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

I was talking about cutters,not fast medium pace.He can be picked on a greenish quickish pitch but foreigners will get preference over Indians  because of their physical attributes.

Akashdeep is 10 times the bowler alzarri would be in the format that matters - tests. 

30 minutes ago, MediumPacer said:

Interesting. Are you a talent scout ? Or are an analyst at some level ? 

10 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Vyashak seems to have done very well in domestic cricket along with Kaverappa.  He is supposed to be a yard quicker than Kaverappa.  Last season he was hitting 140k frequently. 

He also got fast bowling contract from BCCI. 

Any idea what were his top speeds last night? 

He's definitely quicker than Kaverappa.  

Didn't see all his deliveries yesterday. I've seen effort deliveries around 142 but he's definitely around 135 average range.