Thoughts about IPL as the tournament has progressed from fans, critics and players

The Outsider

What gets to me is the English/Australian writers tempering their views of IPL by adding a stat on people below the poverty line in India. For most of the critics' date=' it's more a case of 'how the eff did these guys even dream of implementing such a tournament' than anything else.[/quote'] well I disagree ,,, its more like "Jeeez so many people in India are paying to watch 20-20 club cricket" .. I think they talk more about India's growing economy than poverty

they may have point there (from their point of view) but I fail to understand how they ENJOYED every min of ICL but think IPL doesn't have anything to offer to anyone and in fact its killing the sport. I would respect that point of view if they had said same thing about ICL.
NOPE, ACTUALLy its ACB who had to take decision if Australian players are to tour pak or not and frankly, i mean the situation was/is terrible in pak. Bhutto had just been assasinated. and other crazy stuff kept happening in pak. more over, waqar younis house or i think ramiz raza house was in trouble too. how the eff can a board decide to send it's player to such a country where bombs are making the news like cats and dogs.. and then pak is jelouse of India hosting such big tourny, and pak isn't capable of doing such. seeing India in good shape and hostinb big events makes them jelous of us.

Yes, in the same way we don't complain if an unsuccessful bowler is a chucker, but raise our voice the moment he starts taking wickets. Patrick Kidd has written an article on Times yesterday - http://timesonline.typepad.com/line_and_length/2008/04/my-view-of-twen.html - analysing this issue. NZ has reason to be pissed off because they banned their only good bowler, and hastened the exits of a few others, to please BCCI. In the end, BCCI got the billions and NZ ended up with a worse team and without a penny. I don't know whether you are arguing for the sake of it. Several generations of West Indian cricketers benefited hugely from playing in the English leagues and the county cricket. Not only did they help the West Indian cricketers who are usually not well off financially, it hastened the development of several cricketers like Richards and Greenidge. Also remember that you are talking about a world where there was little cricket between April and October, outside England.
nz banned their best bowler well ask them to remove the ban now who is stopping them, and regarding the west indies cricketers as you put it it developed their cricketers , well Ipl will not develop say NZ cricketers like mcallum and shane watson so why are they complaining , is IPl stopping the players to playing for their countries, pakistani cricketers were playing odis against bangladesh did Ipl stop them, so my friend it is all about money and sour grapes nothing else.

ICL too had it's share of errors. i mean, ppl keep barking about IPL copying ICL.. i mean it's a freaking business.. in business the word "copy" is nothing. regarding IPL completely trying to put down the ICL folkz.. well if u see the ICL contract.. it has lot of restrictions.. see the ipl contract.. it term INternational cricket as the first priority.. hence aussie players and windies players are allowed to leave the tourney in middle.. what about the Yousuf fiasco??? he had signed the contract at first or was about to sign the ICL contract.. why did he back off later?? ICL was very demanding..
and its not a new idea anyway ... ECB has been organizing domestic 20-20 club cricket competition for years now.

and its not a new idea anyway ... ECB has been organizing domestic 20-20 club cricket competition for years now.
well don't compare it to the crappy one played in England.. that might be entertaining, but it actaully has most of the english players, which doesn't interest the aussies and other folkz really. not all games of 2020 are showing in India and other parts of the world, which happen in England. this was a complete new set up and a strong set up done by Lalit Modi and Co. even Channel 10 of Australia signed up a deal and is casting it's games in Aus. never did this happen during england regular 2020 season. also it has the former players, likes of warne, mcgarth. also India has invited domestic players who haven't played international for their country.. Geeves, Luke right etc..

Same here. I won't use the word "great" but it is certainly better than I expected it to be.
But, the brand name is with ICL...! ICL certainly have edge over IPL...its different!! Full respect to players, all big names are in ICL, inspite of lack of facilities created by BBCI - IPL, it really faired well in both the tourneys.

jealousy of Pakistanis are understandable.... Had it been APL or EPL or SAPL or SLPL...they would have sang songs... But how can they like anything which has something to do with INDIA... they don't admit that they watch matches...but they do.. IPL is here to stay..already Ponting..Sanga...Dhoni have asked ICC to create a window for IPL.. Once ICC creates window for IPL....there won't be much space left for any other future leagues...in FTP.. IPL will be the sole 20-20 league of repute.. and once English players too come in IPL...any voice of rebel will be crushed with demons power.. love it or hate it.....IPL is here to stay...and just the indian market is more than enough to make IPL a marketing success..

jealousy of Pakistanis are understandable.... Had it been APL or EPL or SAPL or SLPL...they would have sang songs... But how can they like anything which has something to do with INDIA... they don't admit that they watch matches...but they do.. IPL is here to stay..already Ponting..Sanga...Dhoni have asked ICC to create a window for IPL.. Once ICC creates window for IPL....there won't be much space left for any other future leagues...in FTP.. IPL will be the sole 20-20 league of repute.. and once English players too come in IPL...any voice of rebel will be crushed with demons power.. love it or hate it.....IPL is here to stay...and just the indian market is more than enough to make IPL a marketing success..
Goodness ! You must be Lalit Modi posting under a pseudonym.

The fact of the matter is if the Indian public laps it up, IPL will be a massive financial success. IPL doesn't really need large amounts of viewership from abroad to make a profit. The massive Indian market is enough to make it a hit.

well don't compare it to the crappy one played in England.. that might be entertaining, but it actaully has most of the english players, which doesn't interest the aussies and other folkz really. not all games of 2020 are showing in India and other parts of the world, which happen in England. this was a complete new set up and a strong set up done by Lalit Modi and Co. even Channel 10 of Australia signed up a deal and is casting it's games in Aus. never did this happen during england regular 2020 season. also it has the former players, likes of warne, mcgarth. also India has invited domestic players who haven't played international for their country.. Geeves, Luke right etc..
arey puttar I meant that its not the first time that a board has organized a 20-20 tournament so why would someone accuse BCCI of copying ICL's idea ..

Some IPL franchisees can make profits in first year: Modi

The enthusiastic response to the IPL could result in some franchisees making profits in the 1st year of the tournament itself. More... The enthusiastic response to the Indian Premier League could result in some franchisees making profits in the first year of the tournament itself, IPL Chairman Lalit Modi said on Thursday. "The IPL is a very robust business model. In fact, some of the owners will end up making profits in year one itself," Modi said. He outlined the benefits and revenues that team owners stood to make from the IPL. "Team owners get 80 per cent of broadcast revenues, 60 per cent of sponsorship revenues, 100 per cent of team sponsorship revenues, 80 per cent of ticket revenues, 87.5 per cent of all merchandising revenues and 100 per cent of all hospitality revenues," Modi said. He said there would be tax deduction on the income of the overseas players and they would get the full amount bid on them in the players' auction but would be paid for the number of matches they are available for. "It does not matter if they play or not. If they are available and even if they are on the bench they will get paid for the match," he stated. Modi said the tax deductions would be based on each country's bilateral trade treaty with India. "As the players are earning their money in India, they are subject to the bilateral trade treaty conditions," he said. He also ruled out any chance of IPL turning into a playing field for bookmakers and the betting mafia. "Since the IPL is being organised by an independent body of the BCCI, we have the anti-corruption and security unit of the International Cricket Council taking care of things and keeping an eye on things in the tournament," he said. Modi pointed out that the IPL operates through a governing council that has a five-year term and has to report to the BCCI once a year. "Structurally, it is an independent operating body of the BCCI and we have professionals running things," he added.
Here we go, as I mentioned above the IPL has been quite a remarkable success. Again the concept is good but it is the players and fans that are making this a success. Administrators just laze around and do nothing other than try and create hiccups.

IPL 'already under pressure' CRICKET Australia chief executive James Sutherland yesterday claimed the Indian Premier League was already facing financial pressure after just one week of play in the much-hyped Twenty20 competition. More... IPL 'already under pressure' April 25, 2008 CRICKET Australia chief executive James Sutherland yesterday claimed the Indian Premier League was already facing financial pressure after just one week of play in the much-hyped Twenty20 competition. Sutherland also defended Cricket Australia's plans to tour Pakistan next March in what will be an obvious clash with the IPL and a lost opportunity for our players to share in the huge player payments. Just hours after Matthew Hayden belted 81 off 46 balls to lead Chennai to a six-run win over Mumbai - and became the fourth Aussie in eight games to be named man of the match - Sutherland questioned the long-term viability of the multi-billion-dollar Indian spectacle. "It's all very well to have a whole lot of hype around a competition ... (but) in order for it to be sustainable it needs to have its own virtuous cycle that keeps all the parties happy," Sutherland told Sydney radio 2KY. "It's nice to pay the players well and get big money from TV rights and sponsorships, but ultimately you've got to provide a return for the owners or in this case the franchises. As I understand it, the franchisees are starting to ask questions already. "As we know, they're giving away a lot of tickets to these matches and there's arguably promotional costs to build crowd interest. "It's going to be a long six weeks for the franchisees if they struggle to sell tickets. I think in Hyderabad for the first game they only had a third of the ground full." The eight IPL franchises sold for between $70million and $118million with player payments reaching as high as $1.47million for Australian all-rounder Andrew Symonds. "Look at the numbers," Sutherland said. "All those millions and they pay the players on top. How do they get their return?" As for the revised tour of Pakistan next March, Sutherland said there was no other time available on the crowded international calendar. "We've got a very busy schedule and it was the only window available to us," Sutherland said.

Looks like Sutherland is yet another administrator that has no clue about the game or has watched a single IPL game. Every single game has had fantastic crowd participation and the kind of atmosphere that is present there is missing in most other nations. Not withstanding the players from overseas the home teams now are getting huge cheers as against visiting teams. On the contrary most of the franchaises have mentioned they are not looking for a short term returns at all. They are looking at a long term returns and from what I can see IPL is here to stay. I suppose Sutherland must be feeling the heat just like the rest of the administrators from around the world. He's trying his best to keep the Aussie players to keep away from the IPL next year and this will only lead to more rift between Aussie players and the administrators. Money aside the Aussie players are playing IPL with flair and amazing commitment. The recent survey that was conducted asking the opinions of the Aussie players wanting to play IPL over representing their nation must have been a hard gulp to swallow. The survey mentioned more than half the Aussie players preferred to play IPL than playing for the nation. Although this is not a good sign the administrators will try their best to nip this in the bud. That is what the administrators do, divide and rule. Cricket Australia will need to brace for a tiff with the players next year just like they had to this year. Majority of the players were not ready to visit Pakistan this year and I don't see that changing next year if Australia continues to persuade players not to participate in IPL for their national duty next year. We have already seen the England players complaining about not being able to participate in IPL this year.