Civilian deaths in Srinagar

sandeep

Thread worth reading - I have been following this guy for a couple of years now - he's a legit pro-India Kashmiri politician - an endangered species.  And what he has to say about this incident should trouble all Indians. 

This is why AFSPA should be abolished - this is not acceptable.  

10 hours ago, sandeep said:

Thread worth reading - I have been following this guy for a couple of years now - he's a legit pro-India Kashmiri politician - an endangered species.  And what he has to say about this incident should trouble all Indians. 

This is why AFSPA should be abolished - this is not acceptable.  

What happened actually? Not much details in the thread.Jhadi terrorists killed a civilian and police held his mortal remains in the name of a probe?

21 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

What happened actually? Not much details in the thread.Jhadi terrorists killed a civilian and police held his mortal remains in the name of a probe?

Not clear what has happened, but police is not releasing bodies of the dead to the families.  

Some folks are saying the police is doing this to bury the incident, possibly because the police used the civilians as human shields in pursuit of the terrorists.  

I understand the challenges faced by police and security forces in dealing with terrorists in areas with a lot of sympathizers, but I don't think using human shields is acceptable.  

The security conflict in the parts of the valley with strife - its not a short conflict that India is going to be able to 'end', its a long marathon with multi-faceted fronts, one that requires slowly weaning away the support base for perpetrators of violence.  This sort of tactic may temporarily help some local officers, but its hurting the Indian objectives, especially in the long run.  So why bother violating norms of morality and ethics only for it to backfire?  

7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

This is a fallacy.  An ignorant one.

Better than the narrative of whole of J&K is against India. Article 370 was abrogated after 70 years of dangling the fruit to Kashmir with a fear of public turning back. I don’t think this quelling can happen in India. It happened in Hyd by Patel and few 100 Police. 

6 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I was exaggerating, but the point was about the Will of the state. 

Hyderabad is not a comparable case - that was a short-term conflict aimed at taking over a Nizam run state, it did not turn into a multi-decade insurgency replete with consistent external supply of guns and murderers.  

The problem in J&K is different.  Its a marathon, not a sprint.  The geographical terrain, and the demographic attitudes in certain parts is simply not going to allow for "gill tactics" or Sardar Patel tactics to "solve the problem".  That only provides short-term "results", only for the hydra heads to pop up again.  And those short term "results" incur a heavy cost of worsening demographic attitudes.  Which is not in India's favor.

This is a complex problem that needs a Kautilya, not a Bheem.

Sure, its not at all emotionally satisfying to hear anything that smacks of 'appeasement'.  But an 'iron hand' can be accompanied by a velvet glove.  There is no downside to that.  Yes, it will increase risks to security forces, but that's the job unfortunately.  

The problem can be easily resolved by giving all the administrative power to proper rulers of the state..  The Dogra people & other Hindu minorities.  No outsiders allowed.  Follow the code of Dogra empire.  Give minority rights to Hindus in the state... Various petitions have been blocked in the name of appeasement policy by BJP already. 

Once the power is shifted & local hindus get economically superior than Muslims.  Witness peace. 

Right now Kashmiris have money...  They don't give a flying f*** about anything.  They know Goverment is out to appease them.  Article 370 removal doesn't hurts them Coz they know nobody is crazy enough to come live in Kashmir or steal their jobs. 

Kashmir cannot be and should not be seen with its status in 2021 to decide what resolution one can have. When 1000s of native people have been killed by terrorists since last 70+ years and god knows what happened for last 1000 years during invasion times, we cannot sit in living rooms and say now someone else has majority, so $uck off this area is ours, plebiscite !! plebiscite!!. 

Nobody is stupid to buy that argument. UN or US or China or whoever. We shouldnt give up that place and strongly claim PoK and CoK. For 1000s of years that area was ours. If these were innocent people and if the majority happened naturally by the way of progression, I would have gladly accepted the fact. But here it is extremely complicated.

In that context, everything else will look very bad if we look through a modern HR lenses. Having said that, wherever possible security forces should be considerate to accommodate human sentiments. I hate to admin this but Security Forces will always be culprits and special people (not referring to awaam) will always be victims.