India and Refugees citizenship

gattaca

Does India grant citizenship to refugees ?  It looks like only people from pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh would get citizenship. I am a bit surprised all the srilanka tamils who escaped genocide are not qualified. I know CAA was supposed to handle it but now with srilankan situation this will get worse.

Edited by gattaca

I am not sure CAA is implemented as of now.  So as of now nothing.  2014 was the cutoff I guess for Hindus/Sikhs & others to be eligible for it.  When will that happen no idea.  Sri lankan Tamils should forget about settling into India.  Indian GOI will likely make a special province for them in Lanka the way things are going.  We will get our fair deal with all the help we are giving to Lankans 

Prior to that West Pakistan refugees have been given Indian citizenship.   In late 1940's after Kashmir war...  Mirpuri hindus,  Sailkoti Hindus were given lands in Jammu.  They still live there & are proud Indians. 

The political drama over CAA was just that.  It was a well meaning piece of legislation that was unfairly characterized as bigoted.  

Goes to show you that the 'media analysis' and perception can really go wrong, no matter how widespread or accepted the narrative is.  Eye opening really.  

32 minutes ago, sandeep said:

The political drama over CAA was just that.  It was a well meaning piece of legislation that was unfairly characterized as bigoted.  

Goes to show you that the 'media analysis' and perception can really go wrong, no matter how widespread or accepted the narrative is.  Eye opening really.  

It was/is a good move when u think about it.  More than CAA actually NRC was vital for Indian security.  So sad politics surrounding has delayed or maybe put an end to it.  The dramebaazi from both sides was pathetic to witness. 

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I am not sure CAA is implemented as of now.  So as of now nothing.  2014 was the cutoff I guess for Hindus/Sikhs & others to be eligible for it.  When will that happen no idea.  Sri lankan Tamils should forget about settling into India.  Indian GOI will likely make a special province for them in Lanka the way things are going.  We will get our fair deal with all the help we are giving to Lankans 

Prior to that West Pakistan refugees have been given Indian citizenship.   In late 1940's after Kashmir war...  Mirpuri hindus,  Sailkoti Hindus were given lands in Jammu.  They still live there & are proud Indians. 

Kind of injustice to srilankan Tamils who fled war.

CAA and refugees are different issues. CAA was passed for people already in India before a cutoff date. Even that CAA is on hold to be implemented due to Covid priorities of the government. Tamils can apply for refugee status and take asylum in India any day and time