India should distance itself from Russia immediately.

cowboysfan

On 12/30/2023 at 3:11 AM, rangeelaraja said:

Bharat is in it's own sphere. Also it is stupid to think that India can be in the "sphere" of a country like Russia whose economy is only 45 % of India's size.

In 10 years, India's economy will be atleast 5X Russia's size.

India made a massive mistake in the Soviet era of being ENTIRELY pro-Soviet - and not being friendly with the West ( we did not want to upset USSR)

The result was we were a sanctioned economy that was also closed.

Now we understand foreign policy, diplomacy much better - what we are doing is the best approach - be friendly with all - and extract mutual benefits from all.

Keeping old friendships that have helped India in time of dire need and cultivate new friendships that are both value based & need based & transactional.

If it wasn't was the erstwhile USSR/ Russia - Pakistan would have been on east borders as well along with China and our NE frontier would have been 100 times more vulnerable to being cut off by the force combine of China and Pakistan. Everybody knows it was USSR that prevented a global attack on India during the 1971 war.

They tend to have long memories and stay faithful to their friendships through thick and thin.

It isnt India's mistake that India wasn't pro-west. Its west's mistake that west wasn't pro-india and backed pakistan from the get-go. This is because the west has always seen India as a competitor, to be put down rather than aided. 

On 1/5/2024 at 6:13 AM, Lannister said:

It's a no-brainer. Putin is expected to align with China for his own survival, and China depends on him to counter the US. They need eachother.

India's scenario only seems plausible if it undergoes a shift toward autocracy, and the RSS seeks complete control over the country.

hindu autocracy is far better than leftist autocracy, who are bigger killers and genociders than even islamists in the last century.

6 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

But, no autocracy if far better than any autocracy, and that is what we must strive toward.

I have zero time for this type of throwaway dogmatism, especially one that is so simplistically binary. 
I can easily argue that autocracy under enlightened rulers who have the best interests of their subjects at heart is far better than autocracy of a schizophrenic tyrant who thinks his subjects are sinners and apostates who need to be brought to light else suffer. 

On 1/8/2024 at 4:49 PM, Muloghonto said:

I have zero time for this type of throwaway dogmatism, especially one that is so simplistically binary. 
I can easily argue that autocracy under enlightened rulers who have the best interests of their subjects at heart is far better than autocracy of a schizophrenic tyrant who thinks his subjects are sinners and apostates who need to be brought to light else suffer. 

I can see how the "best" authoritarian leader has a chance of being better than the "worst" democratically elected leader who does not care for his/her people, but as a general rule, I feel that autocracy can only lead to worse outcomes than that of leaders elected via a democratic process. I know your time is precious but honestly, I learn a lot from these interactions, so if you have time, could you expound a bit on your position when you have some time?  Some examples of autocrats who have succeeded in helping a nation's subjects progress would help me understand as well. Thanks!

Edited by BacktoCricaddict