Indigenous senator in Australia told to repeat oath of allegiance

gattaca

Indigenous Australian Senator Lidia Thorpe called the UK's Queen Elizabeth II a "colonizing" queen as she was sworn into parliament on Monday, adding the term to her recital of the country's oath of allegiance.

"I, sovereign, Lidia Thorpe, do solemnly and sincerely affirm and declare that I will be faithful and I bear true allegiance to the colonizing Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second," she said in parliament while holding her arm up in a Black Power salute.

Thorpe was then interrupted by Labor Senate president Sue Lines, who told her to repeat the oath as printed on the card before her. Other lawmakers in the room were also heard protesting over Thorpe's actions.

"You're not a senator if you don't say it properly," one of her colleagues says off-camera.

https://www.businessinsider.com/australia-senator-made-repeat-oath-after-calling-queen-colonizer-2022-8?amp

why do Australians still pledge to English queen. They are an independent country. Think Canada might do that too. It was bad considering an aboriginal had to pledge her allegiance to the queen. Similar to what I alluded when Indians were wishing RIP to the queen. They have unleashed famines, communal violence and we had to participate in their wars and lost millions. 

Edited by gattaca

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

Indigenous Australian Senator Lidia Thorpe called the UK's Queen Elizabeth II a "colonizing" queen as she was sworn into parliament on Monday, adding the term to her recital of the country's oath of allegiance.

"I, sovereign, Lidia Thorpe, do solemnly and sincerely affirm and declare that I will be faithful and I bear true allegiance to the colonizing Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second," she said in parliament while holding her arm up in a Black Power salute.

Thorpe was then interrupted by Labor Senate president Sue Lines, who told her to repeat the oath as printed on the card before her. Other lawmakers in the room were also heard protesting over Thorpe's actions.

"You're not a senator if you don't say it properly," one of her colleagues says off-camera.

https://www.businessinsider.com/australia-senator-made-repeat-oath-after-calling-queen-colonizer-2022-8?amp

why do Australians still pledge to English queen. They are an independent country. Think Canada might do that too. It was bad considering an aboriginal had to pledge her allegiance to the queen. Similar to what I alluded when Indians were wishing RIP to the queen. They have unleashed famines, communal violence and we had to participate in their wars and lost millions. 

Ridiculousness.  For all the lip service given to upliftment of indigenous peoples, colonial hangover is alive and well.

6 hours ago, gattaca said:

Australians voted against republic in 1999...  So queen technically remained head of state. 

It's only the British origin people there who want a monarchy. The Italians, Greeks, Lebanese and other minorities most likely don't. Same in Canada. 

Unlike America both Australia and Canada didn't fight for independence, they achieved it gradually without any resistance from Britain and so that anger and rebellion against Britain is non existant.