Tendulkar to miss Bangladesh tri-series and Asia Cup

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/3natbdesh/content/current/story/352857.html Tendulkar to miss Bangladesh tri-series and Asia Cup Cricinfo staff May 29, 2008 Sachin Tendulkar's groin hasn't healed completely © AFP Sachin Tendulkar will miss the upcoming tri-series in Bangladesh and the Asia Cup that follows because he hasn't recovered fully from his groin injury. The injury had forced Tendulkar to miss the second and third Tests against South Africa in April as well as the first half of the Mumbai Indians' campaign in the Indian Premier League. "Tendulkar is not available for the tri-series as well as the Asia Cup on the advice of Mumbai Indians physiotherapist Nitin Patel," Niran Shah, the BCCI secretary, said. "He has not recovered sufficiently from the groin injury." Tendulkar was instrumental in India winning the tri-series in Australia earlier this year, scoring an unbeaten 117 and 91 in the best-of-three finals. His IPL form, after missing Mumbai Indians' first seven games, hasn't been as good, with 188 runs at an average of 31.33 and strike-rate of 106. Besides Tendulkar, Zaheer Khan, the fast bowler, is likely to miss out owing to the recurrence of his ankle injury, which ruled him out of the recent Test series against South Africa. Zaheer took part in the IPL, picking up 13 wickets in 11 matches before succumbing to the injury. India will travel to Bangladesh to compete in a tri-series also involving Pakistan between June 8 and 14. The Asia Cup is scheduled to be held in Pakistan between June 24 and July 6. © Cricinfo

I don't think India can win these competitions without Sachin Tendulkar. He is irreplaceable at the top of the order. Sri Lanka are a good team in these conditions and Pakistan, whilst they may be crap, can still spring a suprise or two and they will be craving revenge against India.

revised team yusuf pathan sehwag ghambhir sharma yuvi dhoni irfan/praveen mishra/chawla RP Sree Ishant
Yusuf Pathan along with Sehwag could be an interesting opening combo for India. He could be handy even at #7 IMO. Zaheer Khan was an automatic choice a couple of series back before he got injured in the ODIs I think so he may be back as well.
Yusuf Pathan along with Sehwag could be an interesting opening combo for India. He could be handy even at #7 IMO. Zaheer Khan was an automatic choice a couple of series back before he got injured in the ODIs I think so he may be back as well.
Besides Tendulkar, Zaheer Khan, the fast bowler, is likely to miss out owing to the recurrence of his ankle injury, which ruled him out of the recent Test series against South Africa. Zaheer took part in the IPL, picking up 13 wickets in 11 matches before succumbing to the injury.

Seems like some the players were under pressure to play in the IPL for some matches. Unless, its a different injury, it was very sheepish of these players to in the IPL and now to skip the Int'l matches. But saying that, I might've done the same.

disappointing from Sachin. Mind you, Sachin's body is a mess. He is at that stage, where one of those big lunges or a sharp effort injures him. But at the same time, i am not too miffed about it. Maybe Sachin sees what i see : 3 tests in 22 days, starting in less than 2 months. Expect a few dead bodies (from our players, temporarily atleast) in THAT series. Not to mention, it is then practically non-stop ODI cricket for the two months after this test series, followed by 4 tests by Australia. You guys are dreaming if you figure Sachin's going to even TRY playing that many games in that short a span. So long as he does well in Tests and doesnt absolutely SUCK in ODIs ( hell, i'll settle for a low 30s average from Sachin if he ups the tempo early on -which he can) he plays, i don't mind it one bit. Cricket has gotto be one of those FEW sports left where players have little/no control over how many games they can CHOOSE to play (or deal with a FIXED amount and period of commitment, not 'you play whatever the f*ck we can dream up in the next 3 months for Int. cricket) and i won't be surprised if 'manufactured excuses to miss cricket' are being even used- nor would i blame them- coz that's exactly what i'd do too! I doubt Sachin is going to be pushed out of one format or another so easily.

Ready for IPL. Not ready for internationals. Should become a familiar theme in the future. Good thing is some new guy will get a chance in the XI.
Wow when he was avoiding IPL ,he was a coward ,now that he is selfish . That was a bit too much .
Guest HariSampath

Sachin and those "injury stunts".....*yawn*......just accept the fact you are getting older Sachin, and want to play those games only where you get more money and get more visibility....nothing wrong....just stick to test matches and let others play odi, t20 etc

Sachin and those "injury stunts".....*yawn*......just accept the fact you are getting older Sachin' date=' and want to play those games only where you get more money and get more visibility....nothing wrong....just stick to test matches and let others play odi, t20 etc[/quote'] u blind sparrow, tendulkar has been regularly saying that whenever his body won't suit, he would quit. and whenever he feel he can't give 100 percent, he won't take part in any cricket series untill he is 100% fit. here he could have played another series. but he opted out. and u blind haters would continue to just talk crap.. get a life
Sachin and those "injury stunts".....*yawn*......just accept the fact you are getting older Sachin' date=' and want to play those games only where you get more money and get more visibility....nothing wrong....just stick to test matches and let others play odi, t20 etc[/quote'] wha? Sachin is possibly one of the best ODI batsmen of all time! Didn't his performance in the recent CB series count for anything? He was finding form in the finals
I don't think India can win these competitions without Sachin Tendulkar. He is irreplaceable at the top of the order. Sri Lanka are a good team in these conditions and Pakistan, whilst they may be crap, can still spring a suprise or two and they will be craving revenge against India.
Of course we can win without him, we've just got to believe we can do it anyways i dont see this tourney as anything important, rest sachin and lets see what we have in reserves, lets see them play in a 50 overs game, where they just dont swing the bat, but use some brain too
Guest Hiten.

I would have praised this decision of his, had he decided to skip ONLY the BD series. BD series is as pointless as hari's post in this thread. BD tri series seems to come out of the blue :confused:. Asia cup is an important tournament because it enables us to stamp our authority over our other Asian counterparts. Winning Asia cup gives us the right to brag about being the # 1 team in Asia. Moreover, this tournament is in Pakistan so wouldn't that add an extra "yeehawww" if we are able to lift the trophy :D