IPL 2023 Playoff venues

zen

Schedule for IPL 2023 Play-offs:

May 23rd - Qualifier 1 (Chennai)

May 24th - Eliminator (Chennai)

May 26th - Qualifier 2 (Ahmedabad)

May 28th - Final (Ahmedabad)

So Chennai & Ahmedabad with both CSK and GT expected to make it to the playoff esp. if they pick up/maintain momentum!

Edited by zen

Honestly, I think they need to start making neutral ground stadiums as the locations for these games or give the higher ranked team a home game. I know the current format is how they always have done it, but right now, CSK and GT are the 3rd and 4th ranked teams but they would end up with home games in the knock-outs. 

11 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

Honestly, I think they need to start making neutral ground stadiums as the locations for these games or give the higher ranked team a home game. I know the current format is how they always have done it, but right now, CSK and GT are the 3rd and 4th ranked teams but they would end up with home games in the knock-outs. 

Statistically speaking, is playing at home in the IPL an advantage?

What if we were to consider only knockout games played at home, is it still an advantage?

Asking out of curiosity.

Intuitively, I don't feel its much of an advantage. At least for :mi: it seems like home win rate is around 50-60%

5 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

What if we were to consider only knockout games played at home, is it still an advantage?

Asking out of curiosity.

Intuitively, I don't feel it’smuch of an advantage. At least for :mi: it seems like home win rate is around 50-60%

Assuming that pitches remain relatively good, not necessarily an advantage as the game depends on a lot of factors - ability to handle pressure, form of players and playing combination, toss,  dew, etc. 

Only team that has won 70% of games at home (maybe due to pitches in the past) is CSK

22 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Asking out of curiosity.

Intuitively, I don't feel its much of an advantage. At least for :mi: it seems like home win rate is around 50-60%

I am not sure, I just posted this article in another thread

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/how-can-rcb-turn-the-chinnaswamy-stadium-into-a-fortress-1370568

It says that RCB and DC have the worst home records, RCB only wins 50% of their home games and DC less than 50% of their home games

This other website has this table for the original 8 teams, it looks like you guessed MI's home win percentage almost exactly, it's 61.9%, a true superfan:hatsoff: 

https://www.indiafantasy.com/cricket/cricket-news/best-winning-percentage-at-home-in-ipl-what-is-csk-record-at-ma-chidambaram-stadium-chennai/

CSK, SRH, and RR win around 70% of their home games!

Team

Matches Won Lost No Result/Tie Win%
CSK 56 40 16

SRH

44 30 14 68.10
RR 47 32 15

MI

71 44 27 61.90
KKR 74 45 29

PBKS

57 31 26 54.30
RCB 77 37 36 4/0

DC

70 31 38 1/0

It looks like I was onto something

https://www.indiancricketfans.com/topic/131097-monday-night-southern-derby-rcb-vs-csk-bengaluru-match-24-tata-ipl-2023/?do=findComment&comment=4728205

RCB, DC, and PBKS are the 3 original teams which haven't won an IPL cup as of yet, and they have the three lowest win percentages at home. 

Now the teams need to figure out why their teams don't win at home. They may be selecting players not suited for the conditions. 

7 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

I am not sure, I just posted this article in another thread

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/how-can-rcb-turn-the-chinnaswamy-stadium-into-a-fortress-1370568

It says that RCB and DC have the worst home records, RCB only wins 50% of their home games and DC less than 50% of their home games

This other website has this table for the original 8 teams, it looks like you guessed MI's home win percentage almost exactly, it's 61.9%, a true superfan:hatsoff: 

https://www.indiafantasy.com/cricket/cricket-news/best-winning-percentage-at-home-in-ipl-what-is-csk-record-at-ma-chidambaram-stadium-chennai/

CSK, SRH, and RR win around 70% of their home games!

Team

Matches Won Lost No Result/Tie Win%
CSK 56 40 16

SRH

44 30 14 68.10
RR 47 32 15

MI

71 44 27 61.90
KKR 74 45 29

PBKS

57 31 26 54.30
RCB 77 37 36 4/0

DC

70 31 38 1/0

Those stats mainly encompass group games where teams play all kinds of teams from weak to strong. Of the 7 games at home, you beat 3 weak teams and have a 50% ratio against 4 other teams, you have won 5 out of 7 games (in the 2023 format, teams play a total of 14 games, 7 at home, 7 away, 2 against teams in the other group, 1 against teams in the same group)

Playoff has a different pressure attached to it. At most venues, pitches offer no home advantage. Chennai though can make turning pitches but there are teams now that can beat CSK on those pitches too.

8 hours ago, Tibarn said:

It looks like I was onto something

https://www.indiancricketfans.com/topic/131097-monday-night-southern-derby-rcb-vs-csk-bengaluru-match-24-tata-ipl-2023/?do=findComment&comment=4728205

RCB, DC, and PBKS are the 3 original teams which haven't won an IPL cup as of yet, and they have the three lowest win percentages at home. 

Now the teams need to figure out why their teams don't win at home. They may be selecting players not suited for the conditions. 

I am nowhere near as well versed with maths/stats as you are. But here is what I make of the data:

The team with a 60% win rate at home, :mi: has the maximum number of IPL wins. In the table you've linked its a middling value.

RCB, DC and PBKS have the lowest home win ratios, but instead of linking it to IPL wins I would link it qualifying to the final 4. They would also have the lowest number of final 4 qualifications (my hunch).

Once in the final 4, it is unlikely that both the qualifier 1/eliminator and final are at the same venue. So the winning team has won either two away games or a home and an away game. 

So is home game advantage a decisive factor in the knock outs?

I'd peg more importance to the toss.