Oppenheimer (2023)

zen

8 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Stunning to say the least. 

Chilling. I simply cannot fathom how any one at any time can justify that level of destruction. Anyone who is trying to justify it is just fooling themselves. 

Most stunning is how the Japanese nation literally rose from the ashes to become a world leader in technology.

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Chilling. I simply cannot fathom how any one at any time can justify that level of destruction. Anyone who is trying to justify it is just fooling themselves. 

Most stunning is how the Japanese nation literally rose from the ashes to become a world leader in technology.

not about fooling themselves. it was a well-directed campaign by the US to market the narrative that Japan would have never surrendered, blah blah.

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

not about fooling themselves. it was a well-directed campaign by the US to market the narrative that Japan would have never surrendered, blah blah.

I had seen a veteran interview about WW2 and he totally justified the bombing. He said that seeing all the devastation it caused, he would still decide to bomb to avoid all the US  deaths that an extended war would have caused. Chilling! 

53 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I had seen a veteran interview about WW2 and he totally justified the bombing. He said that seeing all the devastation it caused, he would still decide to bomb to avoid all the US  deaths that an extended war would have caused. Chilling! 

the US propaganda machine went into full action, and of course many subscribed to that worldview fully, especially vets

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

the US propaganda machine went into full action, and of course many subscribed to that worldview fully, especially vets

Attack on Pearl Harbor which was a full fledged military base was earlier said to be cause of all this...  Then when they had no answer to justify killing of innocent Japanese civilians..  The propaganda of means to an end was started. 

9 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Attack on Pearl Harbor which was a full fledged military base was earlier said to be cause of all this...  Then when they had no answer to justify killing of innocent Japanese civilians..  The propaganda of means to an end was started. 

yes, US propaganda machine is fearsome

On 7/27/2023 at 6:09 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

The more I read about this, the more I am amazed. After the defeat of Germans, to have dropped the bomb on hapless japanese right in the middle of the city to inflict maximum damage. It was a message to the world on new world order. Power is about capacity to create fear and influence. What better way to bomb the daylights out of the country and then get your private contractors to rebuild it. And then to try the opposition in Nuremberg on the war crimes. 

https://twitter.com/Chellaney/status/1687714419168481281?t=F2Jldmvr7prcdbzvCRjoeg&s=19

Edited by ravishingravi

Only major downside to Oppenheimer is the inconsistency in tone. Also I found no connect with any of the characters which could mean that Nolan was biting lot more than he can chew. Perhaps if the movie ended at Nuclear test or Hiroshima it could have been enough. Cilian Murphy was phenomenal.