Oppenheimer (2023)

zen

5 minutes ago, zen said:

Released now and it is getting good reviews. This one is shot with IMAX cameras and on 70mm film (only available at select venues): 

oppenheimerimax_2_small.jpg

For details on various formats - Link

almost every nolan film gets good reviews, but I am going to watch it with some skepticism... read the book, etc

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

almost every nolan film gets good reviews, but I am going to watch it with some skepticism... read the book, etc

It is a 3-hour "drama" film so may not be for everyone. 

If you watch it try to watch it in IMAX 70mm if available in your area. If not, Dolby Cinema or equivalent. 

At this point, I am not too interested in the subject. If I watch it, it will be for:

• A Nolan film where one can expect good cinematography and also a suitable score 
  • Many segments are shot on IMAX 70mm film. However, only a handful of theatres have that. Luckily, I have two theatres that show in IMAX 70mm in a 20-30 minute driving range. The theatre closest to me is UltraAVX, which is usually my preferred format esp. because of audio (unless a movie is shot on IMAX 70mm film like this one)
  • An ensemble cast where you can expect to see good acting performances (potential Oscar nominations)

PS and for Paul Schrader's comment (which is difficult to ignore):

361617546_10226964133082574_370610520821

"OPPENHEIMER. The best, most important film of this century. If you see one film in cinemas this year it should be Oppenheimer. I’m not a Nolan groupie but this one blows the doors off the hinges."

Edited by zen

"There are currently only 30 IMAX 70mm theater locations in the world. Seven of them are in California, one of which is in San Francisco, while there are two in both Michigan and Texas. Tennessee, Pennsylvania, New York, Indiana, Georgia and Florida also each have an IMAX 70mm location. Providence, Rhode Island, is the nearest location to Boston.  The rest of the cinemas are in Canada, the UK, Australia and the Czech Republic ... but those that are too far from an IMAX will still enjoy the film at a normal cinema, Nolan said, as his team spent six months digitizing it for other formats to ensure the "best experience" on every screen."

Croppenheimer

4 hours ago, zen said:

At this point, I am not too interested in the subject. If I watch it, it will be for:

• A Nolan film where one can expect good cinematography and also a suitable score 
  • Many segments are shot on IMAX 70mm film. However, only a handful of theatres have that. Luckily, I have two theatres that show in IMAX 70mm in a 20-30 minute driving range. The theatre closest to me is UltraAVX, which is usually my preferred format esp. because of audio (unless a movie is shot on IMAX 70mm film like this one)
  • An ensemble cast where you can expect to see good acting performances (potential Oscar nominations)

PS and for Paul Schrader's comment (which is difficult to ignore):

361617546_10226964133082574_370610520821

"OPPENHEIMER. The best, most important film of this century. If you see one film in cinemas this year it should be Oppenheimer. I’m not a Nolan groupie but this one blows the doors off the hinges."

it will be a grand spectacle, I think. it's just that I have higher expectations of this one because of the connections it has to me in various ways (physics & academia & other stuff)

as for paul schrader, I have much respect for him as a scriptwriter and film director, less so as film critic. I agree he cannot be ignored though

Edited by Vijy

13 hours ago, zen said:

Released now and it is getting good reviews. This one is shot with IMAX cameras and on 70mm film (only available at select venues): 

oppenheimerimax_2_small.jpg

For details on various formats - Link

IMAX tickets are steep in comparison to run of the mill ones. Hope the extra bucks are worth it.

Chuckte Raho

TC

I've always been fascinated by Oppenheimer. He was also really into Hindu philosophy hence his quote from the Gita after the successful test at Los Alamos. 

I don't want too many spoilers but do they show the bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki in the film? 

5 hours ago, Ranvir said:

I've always been fascinated by Oppenheimer. He was also really into Hindu philosophy hence his quote from the Gita after the successful test at Los Alamos. 

I don't want too many spoilers but do they show the bombings of Hiroshima/Nagasaki in the film? 

Very interesting complex person. Not unlike many great scientists. Interesting to note that he was also a communist for early part of his life and his wife was an active one. During the first test, there was potential risk of blowing up the whole of existence. In hindsight, we know better, but at the time, lot was riding on it.

6 hours ago, Ranvir said:

no, we only get verbal accounts, and that too tangentially

9 hours ago, diga said:

From whatever books I have read, Feynman would make much more of an interesting subject for a film

Feynman, von Neumann, Turing, Oppy (Oppenheimer), Einstein, Dirac, Landau, etc would all be interesting subjects (some have already been made, e.g., turing)

9 hours ago, Throwaib_Chuckter said:

IMAX tickets are steep in comparison to run of the mill ones. Hope the extra bucks are worth it.

It should be. The issue for many could be the subject matter as it is not a typical Nolan film. It is a 3-hour "drama" film.