I want captaincy someday : Yuvraj

I want captaincy some day but no rivalry with Dhoni: Yuvraj He continues to harbour hopes of captaining the Indian cricket team some day but Yuvraj Singh insists that being overlooked for the job has not created any rift between him and incumbent MS Dhoni and speculation about a rivalry between the two is baseless. "I think things like rivalry and confrontations are talks stirred up by the media. Me and Dhoni are very good friends and help each other at any time because we understand how the game has to be played," Yuvraj said in an interview with BCC's 'Ek Mulaqat' programme. Yuvraj, however, admitted that he still desires to lead the team but would never let his personal ambitions come in the way of team's good. "It is an honour to captain the Indian cricket team, I also wish to be the captain but the most important thing is to do what is good for the team and what are your goals as a team. I think, what the team wants is more important than personal desires," he explained. Yuvraj, who led the race for captaincy before Dhoni was surprisingly handed the reins, said Dhoni has the backing of the team and rubbished talks of a rift in the team. "Dhoni is very young. He came in 3-4 years after I had started playing and he is captaining the Indian cricket team and as a youngster he needs the support of the team and the team likes him a lot. He is a very cool headed person which is very necessary for a captain," he said. Captaining one of the most successful franchises in the Indian Premier League, Yuvraj said it was a high-pressure job with the owners turning on the heat on teams that failed to live up to expectations. "As a franchise, an owner must understand the game of cricket. Someone who hasn't played cricket cannot understand the game. And it is not easy to endure the pressure we come under," he said. The left-hander had a word of advice for the owners getting impatient with their teams -- have faith in the players and understand the kind of pressure they endure on field. "Every team makes an effort, no one likes to lose. The franchises are successful people in their own field and they don't like to lose which is good but they should also understand the kind of pressure we have to put up with," he said. Yuvraj felt IPL was a revolutionary concept but on the downside the amount of travelling during the league was certainly a cause of concern. "... Definitely the players have to work more and subsequently keep themselves fit. The travelling has increased so much that each player is even more accountable," he pointed out. On the increasing display of aggression on the field, Yuvraj said no player needs to be told where to draw the line as they understand the importance of keeping their temper under control. "Every one knows that anger is something that should be under your control in crucial situations. I believe that there should be a balance of everything in life. But where aggression is concerned it is within the player itself. "An aggressive player has always been like that. It is in his nature. One should not cross the limits. Aggression and pomp is fine within its limits," he said.
Link Yuvi-> :mama:

I am starting to get sick of Indian cricket and it's primadonnas - guys like Yuvraj, Harbhajan, Sreesanth. The guy has shown himself incapable of buying a test run outside the subcontinent and comes up frothing about how he wants captaincy. Failed completely in the two ODI series against Australia, but no nothing can stop these Porsche driving limelight hoggers from blurting gibberish in front of the media. Yuvraj and Harbhajan are masters of press manipulation to make one bravado statement after another and keep themselves in the team in the face of $hit performances.

"Dhoni is very young. He came in 3-4 years after I had started playing and he is captaining the Indian cricket team and as a youngster he needs the support of the team and the team likes him a lot. He is a very cool headed person which is very necessary for a captain' date=" he said.
Yuvi, we read ur mind.. :D
I am starting to get sick of Indian cricket and it's primadonnas - guys like Yuvraj, Harbhajan, Sreesanth. The guy has shown himself incapable of buying a test run outside the subcontinent and comes up frothing about how he wants captaincy. Failed completely in the two ODI series against Australia, but no nothing can stop these Porsche driving limelight hoggers from blurting gibberish in front of the media. Yuvraj and Harbhajan are masters of press manipulation to make one bravado statement after another and keep themselves in the team in the face of performances.
tell me where u live..:viking:

I was going to post my thoughts here, but shwetabh seems to have articulated the same far more coherently and eloquently than I would have. Still, one thing he missed: SHUT THE HELL UP AND WORK ON GETTING THAT F/C (AND HOPEFULLY TEST) AVERAGE UP TO SOMETHING RESPECTABLE.

Yuvi shd first learn to play spinners properly and then he can think abt a test place and then he can start dreaming abt ODI captaincy..he is still in the first level and he talks abt dreams..hope he concentrates on his batting..he shd learn frm KP..KP is not as gifted as yuvi but look how he is performing..guess Yuvi has still not got over the fact that the selectors chose MSD over him :giggle:

Shwetabh, you reply is like a professor reasoning with his student who wanted higher grade marks for his thesis. Very Nicely put Look what captaincy has done to him so far, I haven't seen a decent knock from him in this PL tourney and he wats to captain more, he is an awesome bat and should stick to what he does best I admire sachin for this, atleast he came out in the open and denied captaincy; some people are not cut out for it

I was going to post my thoughts here, but shwetabh seems to have articulated the same far more coherently and eloquently than I would have. Still, one thing he missed: SHUT THE HELL UP AND WORK ON GETTING THAT F/C (AND HOPEFULLY TEST) AVERAGE UP TO SOMETHING RESPECTABLE.
FC and tests are looking like a bridge too far. At the moment Mr. Showpony is unable to score even in T20s and a couple of more poor series should ideally have his spot under the scanner with the likes of Raina and Badrinath waiting in the wings. But that's as likely to happed as snowfall in the Sahara thanks to the ravaging interviews he'll hand out in the press and make the world think so much injustice has been meted out to this could have been Bradman.

I want captaincy some day but no rivalry with Dhoni: Yuvraj NEW DELHI: He continues to harbour hopes of captaining the Indian cricket team some day but Yuvraj Singh insists that being overlooked for the job has not created any rift between him and incumbent M S Dhoni and speculation about a rivalry between the two is baseless. "I think things like rivalry and confrontations are talks stirred up by the media. Me and Dhoni are very good friends and help each other at any time because we understand how the game has to be played," Yuvraj said in an interview with BCC's 'Ek Mulaqat' programme. Yuvraj, however, admitted that he still desires to lead the team but would never let his personal ambitions come in the way of team's good. "It is an honour to captain the Indian cricket team, I also wish to be the captain but the most important thing is to do what is good for the team and what are your goals as a team. I think, what the team wants is more important than personal desires," he explained. Yuvraj, who led the race for captaincy before Dhoni was surprisingly handed the reins, said Dhoni has the backing of the team and rubbished talks of a rift in the team. "Dhoni is very young. He came in 3-4 years after I had started playing and he is captaining the Indian cricket team and as a youngster he needs the support of the team and the team likes him a lot. He is a very cool headed person which is very necessary for a captain," he said. http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IES20080531081014&Page=S&Title=Sports&Topic=0&

This guy is a slow acting poison, he will start to infect minds of young players who may get dropped or not picked for poor form with things like Id pick if you if I was captain. This Dhoni v Yuvraj rivalry is not good for our future

Cant fathom why people would really want to question his captaincy credentials in ODIs. Yuvi is the undoubted 'Top Gun' in our one-day outfit. The teams looks palpably weaker without him and one can just sense the change in tempo as he even walks in. Besides, Yuvi is no youngster, he has played in the team for nearly 8 years now. His stake for captaincy is definitely worthwhile. BUT, as long Dhoni is doing what he is doing currently, then there's certainly no place for Yuvi in that spot. But, its kinda intriguing to see him call Dhoni a 'Youngster', almost like how Shoiab calls every Pakistan captain or captain-in-waiting as his 'small brother'. Dhoni is no 'youngster'. He is one of the strongest pillars on top of which India's recent successes have been built. First it was Ganguly who openly went to the media and challenged Dhoni's decision to drop him, now its Yuvraj's turn to drop feelers. Things getting interesting!

i dont think he has said or done anything wrong. It will be an achievement and a dream come true if he gets to captain the side. I think every cricketer would love to do that and thats all he is saying. He is not complaining or anything, someone asked him "would u like to captain team India one day" and his reply is "of course " As for calling dhoni a youngster, I think he means that Dhoni doesnt have as much experience as some of the other team members do (like Uv , Bhajji and SRT).