Asian Champions Trophy (Hockey): India vs Pakistan, 20:30 IST, Chennai

Gollum

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

yes, on a given day, even a no. 4/5 squad can win the WC or olympics. we need to hope that stars align, that good coaches and players are selected (minimize nepo stuff), etc

PC is a big issue for me. We don't have a second battery. Yeah we can discuss more on that in the Asian Games buildup thread.

8 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I used to follow hockey intently in the '80s and we were complaining about this even then. Decades-old problem.

Rupinder pal the 6-4 guy is decent in panelty corners iirc but missing from team right now for some reason... thankfully we have excellent goalie, sreejesh, haven't seen new goalie pathak, any views

@Gollum

43 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Rupinder pal the 6-4 guy is decent in panelty corners iirc but missing from team right now for some reason... thankfully we have excellent goalie, sreejesh, haven't seen new goalie pathak, any views

@Gollum

Rupinder retired post Tokyo Olympics. Later said he is available for selection, but no progress after that, he was having lot of fitness issues and became quite slow on the field in his final couple of years, was in the team just for PCs. Jugraj is developing as a PC taker, Harmanpreet is good but we miss a force of nature like Rupinder.

Pathak is an excellent goalie, will be a worthy successor of Sreejesh. Anyway these days both of them share GK duties.

Malaysia dominated the first half. Our boys looked too nervous, and also Malaysians were very aggressive, lots of fouls and shoves, we looked rattled but then found the spark in start of Q3, created so many chances after that. Also refereeing was in favor of Malaysia whole match, if I am being brutally honest. 

India-Pakistan was one way traffic, we could have scored 7-8 goals easily and were never in danger of conceding. 

23 hours ago, Gollum said:

Rankings in the grand scheme of things means ZILCH if you cant convert this into WC, CWG or Olympic gold medals.

ICT is top ranked in all formats- have we got silverware to show for it? Nada. This is the difference with Indians and Westerners.. the latter place emphasis on winning and trophies at all cost and Indians focus on participation and rankings.

11 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Rankings in the grand scheme of things means ZILCH if you cant convert this into WC, CWG or Olympic gold medals.

ICT is top ranked in all formats- have we got silverware to show for it? Nada. This is the difference with Indians and Westerners.. the latter place emphasis on winning and trophies at all cost and Indians focus on participation and rankings.

Lol, Magnus Carlsen has given up his crown and says he is only interested in #1 ranking. Don't generalize. 

And why are you so upset if we are #3? I think we are a consistent top 6 team, unlike in my school days when we would struggle to break into top 10. Welcome change. 

30 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Lol, Magnus Carlsen has given up his crown and says he is only interested in #1 ranking. Don't generalize. 

And why are you so upset if we are #3? I think we are a consistent top 6 team, unlike in my school days when we would struggle to break into top 10. Welcome change. 

In the Olympics we got robbed in the semis for sure 100%. 

Horrendous refs totally against us. 

We would have been in the finals in all honesty. 

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

Im not 'upset'- i believe the true definition of a GREAT team is the trophies/medals they win and let's not compare Chess with team sports.