Asian Champions Trophy (Hockey): India vs Pakistan, 20:30 IST, Chennai

Gollum

@Austin 3:!6 bro please sticky this. 

Some interesting stats:

Last 15 games between the 2 sides, India has won 12. 2 draws, one when we fielded our juniors in Jakarta (Asia Cup) and the other was a late equalizer by them courtesy umpring howler and us not having any referral left (2018 CWG). 2018 ACT final was NR because of rain. 

Sultan Azlan Shah Cup 2016 Malaysia Ipoh 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 5–1
Asian Champions Trophy 2016 Malaysia Kuantan 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 3–2
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 3–2
FIH Hockey World League 2016–17 United Kingdom London 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 7–1
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 6–1
Asia Cup 2017 Bangladesh Dhaka 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 3–1
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 4–0
Commonwealth Games 2018 Australia Gold Coast Draw, 2–2
Champions Trophy 2018 Netherlands Breda 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 4–0
Asian Games 2018 Indonesia Jakarta 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 2–1
Asian Champions Trophy 2018 Oman Muscat 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 3–1
Asian Champions Trophy 2021 Bangladesh Dhaka 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 3–1
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India, 4–3
Asia Cup 2022 Indonesia Jakarta Draw, 1–1
Asian Champions Trophy 2023 India Chennai

Their last win was in 2016 South Asian Games when we fielded our U-19 team against full strength Pak seniors. They won twice by 1-0 margin. That time we had Rio Olympics, where Pak hockey team hadn't qualified. 

Their last clean win against India was 2014 Asian Games group game in Incheon, South Korea. We beat them in the final though!!!!!

I'll be there at the stadium, hope for a narrow win ensuring they qualify to SF, where we can give them a proper dhulai. 

Edited by Gollum

Standings[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India (H) 4 3 1 0 16 5 +11 10 Semi-finals
2 23px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.png Malaysia 4 3 0 1 11 8 +3 9
3 23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea 4 1 2 1 6 6 0 5
4 23px-Flag_of_Pakistan.svg.png Pakistan 4 1 2 1 7 8 −1 5
5 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan 4 0 2 2 6 9 −3 2 Fifth place game
6 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China 4 0 1 3 5 15 −10 1
Updated to match(es) played on 7 August 2023. Source: FIH
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) matches won; 3) goal difference; 4) goals for; 5) head-to-head result; 6) field goals for.[7]
(H) Host

We are through to the SF, so might take it easy today. Pak in a must-win situation because Japan should beat China. Still don't see them giving much of a fight, look at their coach/captain PCs, general demeanor against us, 15 members in their squad have never tasted victory against India. If our boys are motivated even a little bit, this should be a massacre. But let us hope to meet them twice in this tourney!!!!!
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Standings[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India (H) 4 3 1 0 16 5 +11 10 Semi-finals
2 23px-Flag_of_Malaysia.svg.png Malaysia 4 3 0 1 11 8 +3 9
3 23px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea 4 1 2 1 6 6 0 5
4 23px-Flag_of_Pakistan.svg.png Pakistan 4 1 2 1 7 8 −1 5
5 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan 4 0 2 2 6 9 −3 2 Fifth place game
6 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China 4 0 1 3 5 15 −10 1
Updated to match(es) played on 7 August 2023. Source: FIH
Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) matches won; 3) goal difference; 4) goals for; 5) head-to-head result; 6) field goals for.[7]
(H) Host

We are through to the SF, so might take it easy today. Pak in a must-win situation because Japan should beat China. Still don't see them giving much of a fight, look at their coach/captain PCs, general demeanor against us, 15 members in their squad have never tasted victory against India. If our boys are motivated even a little bit, this should be a massacre. But let us hope to meet them twice in this tourney!!!!!

I will be happy with just one monumental thrashing.

Overnight journey now, kal subah phir se duty.

Hadn't even planned for this game, booked only the weekend tickets, Sunday group games and this Saturday's final and bronze medal match. Few of my old friends forced me to join them today just for the night fixture, and my throat is gone now.

Pak actually played well in Q1, some major scares right from 2nd minute but by the end of the quarter we gained control. Toyed with them for the rest of the match, gulf in fitness/speed was hard to believe sometimes. Our finishing was sloppy, missed so many sitters, if the India from Sunday (vs Malaysia) had turned up today, minimum 8-0. 

We played structured hockey today instead of just counterattacking. Let's see where this new coach Fulton takes us.

Far from our best today, but this 4-0 is flattering for Pak. Many of their players were about to cry in the second half the way we kept stealing balls and imposing our will on them. Young Vivek Sagar Prasad was my MOTM and Karthi Selvam is another gem, but I think they can be physically bullied by the gora sides. Anyway have to catch some sleep now.

Having watched all these Asian sides from up close must say India's fitness is different level. Once upon a time South Korea was famous for its speed, now tables have turned. Also the way we ramp up intensity in last 2 quarters while our opponents wither away, unbelievable.

PC is a headache despite today's 3 goals. How much we took Rupinder Pal for granted when he was a regular.

Always a good win over Pakistan.  Pakistan has regressed a lot. Indians still not up to the level of Aussies though.

Btw, Punjab, the hub, the mecca, the factory of Indian hockey needs to setup home tournament games in Punjab.  It is the home of Indian hockey and should be rightly recognized. Majority of players have been from Punjab, from 75% to alteast 50% since the beginning.  A single village, Sansarpur, has produced 14 olympians. No one can match its contribution to Indian hockey.  But can't recall last major tournament held in Punjab.

10 hours ago, Norman said:

We beat them 4-0 in the SAFF championship too...

And now 4-0 here..

And the thing is noone here even cared about these thrashings. Now imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. Mard e chowmins would have done nanga naach here on ICF and on social media even for narrow wins.. :giggle:

Football score was fair. 

Yesterday's scoreline should have been at least 6-0. With the kind of chances we created Aus or Bel forwards would have made it double digits. And we didn't even play that well while Pak played its best match of the tournament.

Edited by Gollum
4 hours ago, vice said:

Always a good win over Pakistan.  Pakistan has regressed a lot. Indians still not up to the level of Aussies though.

Btw, Punjab, the hub, the mecca, the factory of Indian hockey needs to setup home tournament games in Punjab.  It is the home of Indian hockey and should be rightly recognized. Majority of players have been from Punjab, from 75% to alteast 50% since the beginning.  A single village, Sansarpur, has produced 14 olympians. No one can match its contribution to Indian hockey.  But can't recall last major tournament held in Punjab.

if there is no appetite from the Punjab Gov or private sector to invest in facilities in Punjab for international standard stadiums then you cant blame anyone else. Everyone recognises that the bedrock of Indian hockey is from Punjab but the ROI and ease of doing business in a state always takes precedence for a private investor. Also why doesnt Punjab Gov do a Odisha gov to sponsor tournaments or upgrade infrastructure to the level of Odisha? Whats stopping them?

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

Overnight journey now, kal subah phir se duty.

Hadn't even planned for this game, booked only the weekend tickets, Sunday group games and this Saturday's final and bronze medal match. Few of my old friends forced me to join them today just for the night fixture, and my throat is gone now.

Pak actually played well in Q1, some major scares right from 2nd minute but by the end of the quarter we gained control. Toyed with them for the rest of the match, gulf in fitness/speed was hard to believe sometimes. Our finishing was sloppy, missed so many sitters, if the India from Sunday (vs Malaysia) had turned up today, minimum 8-0. 

We played structured hockey today instead of just counterattacking. Let's see where this new coach Fulton takes us.

Far from our best today, but this 4-0 is flattering for Pak. Many of their players were about to cry in the second half the way we kept stealing balls and imposing our will on them. Young Vivek Sagar Prasad was my MOTM and Karthi Selvam is another gem, but I think they can be physically bullied by the gora sides. Anyway have to catch some sleep now.

How were the facilities in Chennai compared to Odisha? i think the Asian tournaments they can hold here but dont think if the facilities are on par they will even let the European/Aus teams come here.

13 hours ago, Gollum said:

Having watched all these Asian sides from up close must say India's fitness is different level. Once upon a time South Korea was famous for its speed, now tables have turned. Also the way we ramp up intensity in last 2 quarters while our opponents wither away, unbelievable.

PC is a headache despite today's 3 goals. How much we took Rupinder Pal for granted when he was a regular.

Vera level as vvvslazman would say.

3 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

How were the facilities in Chennai compared to Odisha? i think the Asian tournaments they can hold here but dont think if the facilities are on par they will even let the European/Aus teams come here.

Well organized but Eastern stand wasn't comfy. Southern stand was like Eastern but view from behind the goalpost, even worse, but luckily I didn't book that.

Western stand (Kalaignar Centenary Pavilion) was very good, saw yesterday's match from there. Looked like newly built, mazaa aa gaya. 

Haven't been to upgraded Kalinga or Rourkela but have heard a lot of good things about them. Even Europeans say Kalinga is the best hockey complex in the world. Odisha has invested a lot in hockey infra, unfair to compare them with the others. For instance the Chennai stadium has a capacity of 8.5 k, the newly built Birsa Munda stadium in Rourkela has 20k capacity with chair seating everywhere. in Chennai only the Western stand had those bucket chairs,rest still had the concrete step structure. Odisha operates at a different level, no other state compares.

Edited by Gollum

I booked my tickets quite early, for the weekend games. Hadn't booked for the Indo-Pak game because it was weekday and I wasn't sure I'd be able to fit in my schedule. 

Kalaignar stand was inaugurated later and booking also opened late. So unfortunately all early birds got an inferior stand. Next time if I watch in Chennai it will be from Kalaignar stand only. 

Bengaluru has only one stadium I am aware of, near Nanjappa circle. Chennai stadium is far better than the Bengaluru one, not just the stadium but connectivity as well.

Edited by Gollum