Karnataka government bans carpooling in Bengaluru

coffee_rules

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/karnataka-bans-carpooling-in-bengaluru-netizens-blame-state-govt-saying-cauvery-or/amp-11696156386867.html

Karnataka Government's transport department advised residents of Bengalurunot to take rides from the carpooling apps like BlaBla car, Quick Ride among others.

Ride-hailing apps like BlaBla Car, Quickride, Rideshare, Commute Easy, and Carpool Adda have been running carpool services for those who want to share their ride with others for affordable and available rides.

since i am at the scene i can actually say that they have only banned the Apps,you can still car pool with your friends but you cant carpool using a private car.I understand both sides but anything to reduce pollution and number of cars on the roads is to be encouraged.

36 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

since i am at the scene i can actually say that they have only banned the Apps,you can still car pool with your friends but you cant carpool using a private car.I understand both sides but anything to reduce pollution and number of cars on the roads is to be encouraged.

not sure about that - these middlemen "platforms" kill the local taxi/auto freelancers and small businesses and then eventually jackup their prices.  

Regulation is important and necessary.

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

not sure about that - these middlemen "platforms" kill the local taxi/auto freelancers and small businesses and then eventually jackup their prices.  

I agree but still carpooling as a concept is good especially for bangalore,for the time being they should be doing it without the apps.

44 minutes ago, sandeep said:

These olaUber drivers are nasty. Due to volume of business, they are choosy and pick only those that favor their route. I have been rejected or canceled every ride in a day.  It’s a pain and a nightmare for emergencies  These carpooling apps are very popular and convenient among office-goers with less hassle than coordinating with other users. 

Edited by coffee_rules

6 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

These olaUber drivers are nasty. Due to volume of business, they are choosy and pick only those that favor their route. I have been rejected or canceled every ride in a day.  It’s a pain and a nightmare for emergencies  These carpooling apps are very popular and convenient among office-goers with less hassle than coordinating with other users. 

Ola Uber Zomato all these pieces of **** are going to be in trouble once ONDC well and truly gets going.  

Then its going to a race to the bottom for fees and commissions for all of these useless platforms that want to make serfs out of drivers and exploit customers using algorithmic pricing. 

42 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

I agree but still carpooling as a concept is good especially for bangalore,for the time being they should be doing it without the apps.

hmmmm if its "free" carpooling apps that are the target then it smells like some "lobbying" grease has been at work.

9 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

they are choosy and pick only those that favor their route. I have been rejected ...

Sounds like the typical auto rickshaw driver from the 1980s/90s, who already had a preordained direction in which he was traveling and would give you a ride if you are lucky enough that your destination was in the same direction.

56 minutes ago, sandeep said:

hmmmm if its "free" carpooling apps that are the target then it smells like some "lobbying" grease has been at work.

Not sure about "free", some have membership fees and some have a fee structure. This is from BlaBlaCar (which was banned):

"

How the service fee is calculated

The amount of the service fee is calculated from the price the driver sets for their ride. Passengers browsing carpool rides are shown the total price they’ll pay to book the carpool ride. Drivers get the exact amount they set when offering a ride. We don’t take any money from the driver.

Learn more about the carpool service fee and how helps us run our platform and build a trusted community."

So, the driver is making money, it needs regulation, - safety checks, background checks, taxes for money made etc.