Breaking News: Mohammed Asif caught at Dubai Airport

OK, so they are waiting for urine test right? and whats the point of that! Isn't possession enough to prosecute? so is dubai conducting some kind of before series test? He can smoke, drink alcohol and land in dubai with all toxins in his blood, how does it matter, the law talks about possession right? so whats this urine test about

Asif hearing deferred to Sunday Mohammad Asif's ordeal in Dubai will continue for at least a few more days, after his hearing today was deferred to Sunday. Asif has been in detention at Dubai International Airport since Sunday after authorities allegedly found a banned substance in his wallet. He made a statement today in front of the chief prosecutor though still no charges have been laid against him. "The hearing has been deferred till Sunday," Shafqat Naghmi, PCB's chief operating officer, told Cricinfo. "Friday and Saturday are weekends there, but Asif recorded his statement today. No charges have yet been laid against him." Sources close to the case confirmed to Cricinfo that the substance found in his wallet was a banned, recreational drug, though the urine tests conducted on Asif have come back negative. The PCB, it is learnt, is still working through diplomatic channels to have the case resolved as soon as possible, though no Pakistani government official has yet become involved in the matter.

seriously holland is the best place in the world.... words cant explain tht.. u have to feel it to realize tht...
I concur ,i have only seen Amsterdam airport .But i would say that is the best airport i have ever been to ,people were so warm and friendly .

At the rate at which this is going, I wouldnt be surprised if one day, a Pakistani player is held at Heathrow suspect terror charges. Seriously, why are the Pakistani cricketers so intent on embarrassing their country and fellow country-men?

it will be so much fun...if we could get the photos of Asif Charsi...in Detention dress...Handcuffed...and witha bowl in Hand.... can some Photo-shop expert make a photo like that... i will use that as my avatar...:cantstop:
asif-BB.jpg :cantstop: credits : rizmusicanada @ pakcricket.org forums

That has actually happened to Pakistani cricketers ,i think in 1994 in WI where Akram ,waqar ,Mushtaq .etc got arrested and were inside the bar for the same ''case '' ,possession of charas . Asif has got great predecessors .

Asif to be DEPORTED!!!! http://www.mid-day.com/web/guest/sports/news/article?_EXT_5_articleId=1166548&_EXT_5_groupId=14 Cricketer Mohammed Asif to be deported soon Author: Agencies Date: 05 Jun 2008 Forensic tests proved the Pakistani pacer was carrying a small amount of hashish but the authorities may not refer the case to court and deport the player, media reports said on Thursday. Dubai: Forensic tests proved Pakistani pacer Mohammad Asif was carrying a small amount of hashish but the authorities may not refer the case to court and deport the player, media reports here said on Thursday. The Dubai General Department of Forensic Science had submitted its report on the substance which Asif was carrying and it turned out to be hashish, said the reports, quoting sources in the police and attorney general office. "The Dubai Attorney General is expected to sign administrative deportation orders, thereby ensuring that the case is not referred to the Dubai Courts," Khaleej Times quoted the sources as saying. Senior Pakistan Cricket Board official Nadeem Akram, who is here to bail out the pacer, confirmed that the laboratory test result had been out and authorities have not pressed any charges against Asif. "Any decision in this regard is likely to be taken only on Thursday," he said. Chief prosecutor Mohammed Rustom, meanwhile, made it clear that he would go by the forensic reports. "We will proceed according to reports of the tests from the Dubai General Department of Forensic Science," he said. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If he really carried Hashish in his pocket, how stupid is he? That too, to Dubai!!! It doesn't add up. It was not traced in hisblood. So, what was he doing with it? May be Peddling? He is lucky to be alive.

Dubai AG to adjudicate on Asif soon. Get in your views now, guys. Show us where you stand. Is he guilty, a victim of circumstances, or a simply naive? Is he a repeat offender? He had Hashish in his purse, and may face imprisonment. Is this excessive punishment for using a recreational drug? What would you wish for him? Freedom, and restoration to the Pakistan team, a limited ban, a life ban, or a custodial sentence? Important issue. Let's speak up.

Get in your views now, guys. Show us where you stand. Is he guilty, a victim of circumstances, or a simply naive? Is he a repeat offender? He had Hashish in his purse, and may face imprisonment. Is this excessive punishment for using a recreational drug? What would you wish for him? Freedom, and restoration to the Pakistan team, a limited ban, a life ban, or a custodial sentence?
I didnt reply to this post earlier because I am not very clear about what exactly happened here. So he was caught, but for what? That is the question. As a fitness buff who has to travel a fair bit I often get held up at the Airports myself as I see the Security Officials run through my little bottles of supplements. These are basic supplements we are talking about - Fish Oil tablets, Multivitamins, BCAA(Branch Chain Amino Acid powders) etc. On occassion that I am lifting heavy I will carry some Cortisol containing tablets and/or Caffein/EGCG tablets. However it is scary to see how little average Airport Security people understand about health supplements. In case of Asif I am not sure what he was carrying. He could have easily been carrying supplements of a slightly more potent nature, a la Test boosters, oral steroids like Deca etc. I find it a tad suprising that he would be carrying Hashish. I mean it would be stupid for a person, let alone a person who has travelled so much, to not know that carrying drugs inside any country(let alone Middle East where laws are very strict) is a crime. So I suppose I will wait to make my opinion till I am sure what exactly Asif was carrying.

Whatever the case maybe, the average Indian cricketer seems to be more grounded and level headed off the field than the average Pakistani cricketer. A reason for this is probably that most of the Pak cricketers Pakistani youngsters look upto have had a colourful life outside of cricket and the idea of partaking in similar colourful activities seems to be an attractive aspect of cricket, for a budding Pak cricketer. Youngsters in India however have people like SRT, Dravid and Kumble to look upto, who's personas off and on the field are more or less the same and they lead unbelievable model lives in today's morally corrupt world.

Whatever the case maybe' date=' the average Indian cricketer seems to be more grounded and level headed off the field than the average Pakistani cricketer. A reason for this is probably that most of the Pak cricketers Pakistani youngsters look upto have had a colourful life outside of cricket and the idea of partaking in similar colourful activities seems to be an attractive aspect of cricket, for a budding Pak cricketer. [b']Youngsters in India however have people like SRT, Dravid and Kumble to look upto, who's personas off and on the field are more or less the same and they lead unbelievable model lives in today's morally corrupt world.
I dont think that is the sole reason though you have a point there. Pakistani cricketers are more prone to drugs than their Indian counterpart. The answer can be summed up in 1 word - Afganistan. Ever since Russia attacked Afganistan millions of refugees sought shelter in Pakistan. The trade and economy was completely devastated and the only revenue earner, and a massive one at that, has been the Opium trade. Every Afgan warlord tries to control this trade. And over the years the number of druggies have only increased in Pakistan. Cricketers ultimately are a reflection of the society and so no wonder that Pakistani cricketers are more suscept to drugs than their Indian counterpart since the latter society is not much into drugs.

If we assume the most common things that are being said about the incident are correct - Asif was carrying a bit of opium on him but had no trace of it in his body - in an ideal world he should be just let off. However, this is the middle east we are talking about and it would be unfair on others who have been jacked by the drug laws of the Middle East for Asif to walk away just because he is rich and famous. As Indian politicians say, "Let the law take it's own course".:D