Three under-19 stars to train in Australia

120607bccilogo_313.jpg Mumbai: India’s under-19 World Cup winning skipper Virat Kohli and two of his teammates, Pradeep Sangwan and Tanmay Srivastava have been awarded the Border-Gavaskar Scholarship for 2008. The Indian cricket board (BCCI) is happy to announce that the three juniors will undergo six weeks' training at the Centre of Excellence in Brisbane in Australia and would be leaving for the training on June seven, a BCCI release said on Wednesday. Mumbai youngster Dhaval Kulkarni too has been selected to undergo six weeks training at the Australian Cricket Academy also situated in Brisbane. Kulkarni, who did well in the IPL, is being sponsored by the Mumbai Cricket Association, under their recently-instituted Dilip Sardesai Scholarship, the release adds. Awesome news :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:

Kohli was a flop in IPL and many other under 19s did better than him who probably deserved a chance ahead of him. Seems to be a lot of hype with little substance surrounding him at the moment. Yes, he looks compact, has some strokes, is a brilliant fielder but just throws it away.

no shwetabh. looks like u are giving too much bow and arrow to this. Kohli is good.. a much better player then what how he perfored in twenty20. give him time. he will deliver. it's not that he was hyped for his showing in the un19 world cup. he has performed well in England and South africa alredy, hence was in the news before the cup. this one off poor performance from Kohli shouldn't really decide how the player is.. just like how this one off performance of Ishant sharma shouldn't decide how much better he is then rest of the INdian bowlers..

I have no problem on Kohli being picked for things like this based on potential. It's one thing to pick the kid for int'l cricket based on the look alone, another to think he's a phenomenal raw talent (which he is) and send him to Australia to grow a few brains and balls to go with the talent. Hopefully this lot will mature and develop over that time there. Good to see Kulkarni and Sangwan getting sent there as well. Both have mucho potential in the bowling department.

coming from a guy who said yusuf pathan should be in the test team:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
that was based on his ranji trophy performances, not ipl. i used to talk about his 27 wickets in 7 ranji matches. while talking of yusuf pathan for tests, i never talked of his batting. it was all about his off-spin bowling
that was based on his ranji trophy performances' date=' not ipl. i used to talk about his 27 wickets in 7 ranji matches. while talking of yusuf pathan for tests, i never talked of his batting. it was all about his off-spin bowling[/quote'] sure u did :winky:
Money has never been an issue for the BCCI for many many years now. It's brain and will which are lacking.
The BCCI's wealth is often overestimated. Their turnover prior to the IPL was very near to the ECB's and think of how much vaster area the BCCI have to cover.
Srivastava is a more phenomenal talent than Kohli - pity he didnt get to bat much unlike Virat
This is a response to your statement as much as it is a description of what I think everytime I feel someone has been left out (which is very often). In a country like ours, someone will always feel left out or others will feel someone has been left out. They are correct in their thinking but after sometime, we need to realize (for better or for worse) that if they've missed one opportunity, they've gotta look forward and try to make the best of what they have. I agree with you that during the entire U-19 WC, he was the batting mainstay of the tournament - so he probably deserved to go there. But he didn't, that doesn't mean he is deprived of being a future consideration of our national squad (and I sincerely hope that he makes it!). To fix this, I think we ought to make more centres of excellence in India itself - which will help but its not a panacea.

Why would they send them over to Australia during the winter? The players will stay indoors and will train on nice artificial tracks that does no good to them. I would have rather preferred them to have visited Australia during Australia's domestic cricket season.