Shubman Gill : Just too many weaknesses ?

Number

4 minutes ago, Jamadagni said:

**** it up guys. The forum used to have many good posters with an eye for talent. It's gone **** these days. I mean how can anyone not rate Gill? He is a generational talent and definitely an ATG in the making. 

No. He is not. He looks talented the way Hooper looked talented, but his game has just too many flaws for him to average 50+ in any format. Mark my words, he won't finish with an average of 45 at best and i won't be surprised if he finished with an average sub-40. But he will at the same time, play crunch situation or spank world class bowling on occasion. Because despite Gill's technical & discipline issues, he has ample time to play his shots and his shot selection itself is decent. Much like Hooper. I would love to be wrong but only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

No. He is not. He looks talented the way Hooper looked talented, but his game has just too many flaws for him to average 50+ in any format. Mark my words, he won't finish with an average of 45 at best and i won't be surprised if he finished with an average sub-40. But he will at the same time, play crunch situation or spank world class bowling on occasion. Because despite Gill's technical & discipline issues, he has ample time to play his shots and his shot selection itself is decent. Much like Hooper. I would love to be wrong but only time will tell.

ODIs these days for top order bats are just very easy. Even an Imam ul Haq averages 50+ with a s/r of 80. 

So ODIs are no more a criteria to judge greatness.

I will be very happy with Gill if he touches an average of 45 in tests.

Some crucial knocks this series from him and needs to build on this now.

1 minute ago, Number said:

ODIs these days for top order bats are just very easy. Even an Imam ul Haq averages 50+ with a s/r of 80. 

He's bit like Rohit,somehow seems to have same trajectory

Will be good in Lois and decent in tests later(not great as some think ,I too was one of them)

55 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

He's bit like Rohit,somehow seems to have same trajectory

Will be good in Lois and decent in tests later(not great as some think ,I too was one of them)

Yes. Technical limitations aside, he is a bloody gifted timer. When he overcomes this habit of throwing away starts, he will score big runs and his average will start moving upwards. With this series he has shown some hope on that front.

Maybe i am getting old but he reminds of VVS Laxmans early start in test cricket. Laxman too started his career out of position as an opener and averaged 35 with only 2 centuries after 45 odd innings. he didn't really break into averaging 40+ after he was moved down to number 6 and accumulated a lot of not outs. His technique and lack of foot movement was also heavily criticized. VVS laxman turned out to be one of India best match winners and hopefully Gill can replicate that only time will tell. Last thing you want is a game of musical chairs where they drop gill and play sarfaraz or someone out of position at number 3 and then bring back gill after that batsman fails after a few away tours.

On 2/26/2024 at 6:40 PM, Number said:

Thats why rohit is responsible for our wc loss. And kohli and gill. 

Lack of accountability. 

On 2/29/2024 at 11:16 AM, TellTheTruth said:

Maybe i am getting old but he reminds of VVS Laxmans early start in test cricket. Laxman too started his career out of position as an opener and averaged 35 with only 2 centuries after 45 odd innings. he didn't really break into averaging 40+ after he was moved down to number 6 and accumulated a lot of not outs. His technique and lack of foot movement was also heavily criticized. VVS laxman turned out to be one of India best match winners and hopefully Gill can replicate that only time will tell. Last thing you want is a game of musical chairs where they drop gill and play sarfaraz or someone out of position at number 3 and then bring back gill after that batsman fails after a few away tours.

VVS always had quite a bit of mental toughness even at start of career, which Gill has not yet shown. second, VVS was a beast vs spin unlike Gill.

however, another similarity between the duo is that they seem good on Oz pitches.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

VVS always had quite a bit of mental toughness even at start of career, which Gill has not yet shown. second, VVS was a beast vs spin unlike Gill.

however, another similarity between the duo is that they seem good on Oz pitches.

i have a feeling gill will be bowled or lbw by an inswinger upcoming test.