Devdutt Padikkal vs Rajat Patidar for #3?

3 hours ago, New guy said:

By that logic players like Kohli and dhoni would never have made it after their initial strikes.

and players like muzumdar didn't even get to play at all. both Kohli and MSD proved themselves in ODIs, and didn't look like a scared rabbit as Patidar has so far. It's all a moot point though, since he will play

5 hours ago, mishra said:

I kind of see your point but These lads have deicated their life to cricket and I think a fair mechanism has to be devloped.

TBH, we need to ensure a consistenet policy of showing opportunity and confidence. If every new comer is told that they will get 3 test matches to showcase their pottential, I  think they cant complain. I dont mind it can be made 4 Tests or 5 Tests or 2 Tests but it should be consistent. For me 3 Tests is arbitary but still decent number

that's fair enough

2 hours ago, The Realist said:

Rathour backs Patidar to come good

Rathour was steadfast in backing the newcomer. "As far as having conversations with him [Patidar], yes, we have been having a lot of conversations with him but one thing he needs to understand is that this is how this game goes. He has been batting really well, he has scored a lot of runs to get into the team and doesn't become a bad player from two matches.

"He is a very good player. He has really batted well in whatever cricket he has played. He has had a few tough games, a few awkward dismissals where the ball has stopped on him, this can happen, this is how the game goes. Absolutely no doubt that he is a good player and on his day he will come up with a very impactful innings," he emphasised.

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/129579/rathour-backs-patidar-to-come-good

:adore:

of course rathod would back him. I think he sees himself in Patidar: domestic level beast, int'l level rabbit

15 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Even if he does perform, I dont genuinely believe he has the ingredients of being an elite Test batsman for India.

Reminds me too much of Vihari. Serviceable at best.

I think some people are bit harsh on Vihari. I remember him having good defence and temperament and also he had to play most his tests in overseas conditions which are never easy for subcontinent batsmen. He even batted a whole day and saved a test match at Sydney, scored 5 fifties and a century in 15 test matches.

That's pretty decent if you consider the opposition and conditions he played. Even Gill played 45 innings so far and averages around 30 and if you take his latest form (since World Cup) the average dips to 20. So who gets to have a long rope and who gets relegated seems a bit arbitrary and based on whom the TM and the big superstars think based on their supposed talent. 

Edited by srgadjon
5 hours ago, srgadjon said:

I think some people are bit harsh on Vihari. I remember him having good defence and temperament and also he had to play most his tests in overseas conditions which are never easy for subcontinent batsmen. He even batted a whole day and saved a test match at Sydney, scored 5 fifties and a century in 15 test matches.

That's pretty decent if you consider the opposition and conditions he played. Even Gill played 45 innings so far and averages around 30 and if you take his latest form (since World Cup) the average dips to 20. So who gets to have a long rope and who gets relegated seems a bit arbitrary and based on whom the TM and the big superstars think based on their supposed talent. 

vihari is better than patidar. vihari played some early tests in very tough conditions, and out of his regular position as well

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

vihari is better than patidar. vihari played some early tests in very tough conditions, and out of his regular position as well

Vihari did well down under for what he needed to do, defend and hold down one end.

On 2/21/2024 at 2:37 AM, Frustrated said:

It has been nearly 25 days since the 1st test ended.   Kela still injured?   LOL.  This despite having failed to last even 20 balls in the 2nd inning (1st test).  Captain and TM did everything possible to make sure he remained injury free. No keeping duties assigned to him.  Still this loser (who averages barely 35 in tests) sucks with his fitness.   

He will be bak to full fitness for IPL!

13 hours ago, Vijy said:

and players like muzumdar didn't even get to play at all. both Kohli and MSD proved themselves in ODIs, and didn't look like a scared rabbit as Patidar has so far. It's all a moot point though, since he will play

Patidar looked calm and composed in his first innings when he scored 30+ and looked good for a 50. But he got out in a weird way, and has been looking awkward against spin ever since. He should try to play his natural game and stop trying to please the coaches and TM with tuk tuk batting. 

9 hours ago, nevada said:

Patidar looked calm and composed in his first innings when he scored 30+ and looked good for a 50. But he got out in a weird way, and has been looking awkward against spin ever since. He should try to play his natural game and stop trying to please the coaches and TM with tuk tuk batting. 

he is awkward vs spin coz he can't even handle the poor eng spinners

28 minutes ago, Lord said:

Right decision to back Patidar. Should play next Test too. Paddikal is an opener so shouldn't even be in squad. 

If Patidar still fails, we can get in another MO batter in next series.

you are a year or so behind in following cricket, I presume. Padikkal has played at no. 3 in multiple formats over the last 12 months, including this Ranji season and for Ind A

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

you are a year or so behind in following cricket, I presume. Padikkal has played at no. 3 in multiple formats over the last 12 months, including this Ranji season and for Ind A

That is top order only. Like Gill is playing at 3.

We need no. 5-6.

Just now, Lord said:

That is top order only. Like Gill is playing at 3.

We need no. 5-6.

Patidar is playing at 4. Gill can play at 4, since he has done so in the past (e.g., some FC matches). And Padikkal could have played at 3. The gap between #3 and #4 is not that large, so even Padikkal could have played at 4.

Anyway, it's good Patidar got another game. If he is not int'l level (which I suspect he might be), then it will be shown up more clearly.

13 hours ago, tweaker said:

Patidar may be not that bad vs spinners.He may be confused between his playing style and what the coach wants him.

He may score big in this test 

or he fails and proves once and for all he is not int'l class