Average batsmen of Ranji don't succeed in test cricket

It may happen in other countries where batsmen can be thrown into test arena and succeed without having good FC record, but even there it's more of exception than norm.

Players like Labu are such examples.

However, when it comes to Indian cricket seems there is no exception in 90+ years. 

All Indian batsmen have their test average either similar or less than their FC average.

Those who averaged 40-45 in Ranjis end up averaging 30s in test cricket. At best they go upto high 30s.

Those averaging 50+ end up with average of 35-50.

India has tried 40 averaging batsmen many times and none of them succeeded. Yuvraj, Raina, SKY and now Patidar. Best was MSD who ended up with avg of 38 which was valuable as he was a keeper.

5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

But Patidar had many many fans on ICF here.

Even if there was 1 batsman in history of Indian cricket who could be exception, not even norm, I would have believed in such players.

But there is no example at all.

2 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

For MO in the modern era:

2 year FC record.

>55 average

> 60 SR. Yes, it is FC and SR doesn't matter, but it suggests dominance of domestic attacks.

This is the minimum benchmark. It does not guarantee success but it is the best indicator. Anything less than this is a guarantee of failure.

Indrajith since 2018 (i.e., 5-6 yr) has 63-64 batting avg and SR over 60.

10 minutes ago, Vijy said:

That's unfortunate. What he lacks are "daddy knocks" - like 300+. What about impact-match knocks - like Duleep finals? Irani finals? Of course, I don't know if Patidar had all that coming in, so there may be some inconsistencies there. Hopefully it's not a missed opportunity for India.

Just now, BacktoCricaddict said:

That's unfortunate. What he lacks are "daddy knocks" - like 300+. What about impact-match knocks - like Duleep finals? Irani finals? Of course, I don't know if Patidar had all that coming in, so there may be some inconsistencies there. Hopefully it's not a missed opportunity for India.

Indrajith is generally known for scoring runs when his state team needs it. has not played much of Ind A. And I don't recall him featuring much and doing much in Duleep/Irani either.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

Indrajith is generally known for scoring runs when his state team needs it. has not played much of Ind A. And I don't recall him featuring much and doing much in Duleep/Irani either.

Tough. Hopefully TN makes it into Ranji SF/F and he hits a really big one to lead them to victories to catch the selectors' eye.

2 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Tough. Hopefully TN makes it into Ranji SF/F and he hits a really big one to lead them to victories to catch the selectors' eye.

I hope so. Here's one more article, which confirms what I suspected - that he has rarely played in Ind A, and didn't get to play in Duleep recently either.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/ranji-trophy-tamil-nadus-baba-indrajith-continues-to-knock-on-indian-teams-doors-9179155/

176(256) v NZ A
4(17) v NZ A
30(52) v NZ A
109*(135)
33(67) v SA A
111(141) v ENG Lions
151(158) v ENG Lions
4(17) v ENG Lions

Unofficial ODI-
45*(41) v NZ A
20(17) v NZ A

Last 2 Ranji Trophy Season - 658 & 565 Runs

Patidar is there on merit, though I agree fortunate to be in A team on back of IPl exploits ahead of Indrajith say

Unfortunately for him I don't think he should play test cricket again 

Edited by Sooda
On 2/24/2024 at 6:15 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

Yes hope so, this is first time in 6 years TN has reached QFs which has Hury Indras chances on big stage

2 minutes ago, Sooda said:

176(256) v NZ A
4(17) v NZ A
30(52) v NZ A
109*(135)
33(67) v SA A
111(141) v ENG Lions
151(158) v ENG Lions
4(17) v ENG Lions

Unofficial ODI-
45*(41) v NZ A
20(17) v NZ A

Patidar is there on merit, though I agree fortunate to be in A team on back of IPl exploits ahead of Indrajith say

he shouldn't play even ranjis again. sub-rathod level batter

3 hours ago, Sooda said:

176(256) v NZ A
4(17) v NZ A
30(52) v NZ A
109*(135)
33(67) v SA A
111(141) v ENG Lions
151(158) v ENG Lions
4(17) v ENG Lions

Unofficial ODI-
45*(41) v NZ A
20(17) v NZ A

Not everyone who is great in domestic cricket will make it big in Internationals, not many do. See Graeme Hick as a case in point. But you gotto give them a shot based on domestic performances, and if they don't make it then move on to the next one.

Edited by Sandz
13 hours ago, Sandz said:

Not everyone who is great in domestic cricket will make it big in Internationals, not many do. See Graeme Hick as a case in point. But you gotto give them a shot based on domestic performances, and if they don't make it then move on to the next one.

Yes my point exactly... it was right that he got his chances. Very unfortunate that he could not make the most of it, may still be a spot as a fringe LOI bat