Most interesting WC final of the 2014-2023 period!

2014-2023 world cup finals  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the most interesting world cup final?

• 2014, Dhaka, SL v Ind (T20)
    • 2015, Melbourne, Aus v NZ (ODI)
    • 2016, Kolkata, WI v Eng (T20)
    • 2019, Lord's, Eng v NZ (ODI)
    • 2021, Dubai, Aus v NZ (T20)
    • 2022, Melbourne, Eng v Pak (T20)
    • 2023, Ahmedabad, Aus v Ind (ODI) 

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 03/14/2027 at 06:30 AM

Was thinking about cricket. Walked down memory lane of world cups in the last decade. A question popped up - which is the most interesting final of the 2014-2023 (a 10-year) period?

Let's go through the LOI finals:

2014, Dhaka, SL v Ind (T20)

Coming into this one the Sri Lankans had lost 4 finals since 2007 -> 2007 ODI F v Aus, 2009 T20 F v Pak, 2011 ODI F v Ind, & 2012 T20 F v WI. SL's golden boys Sangakara, Jayawardane, Malinga, etc. had yet to win a World Cup. The last time SL won a World Cup was in 1996. Its last surviving member, Murali had retired too. SL was lucky the 5th time and the golden boys got to finally hold a trophy. 

2015, Melbourne, Aus v NZ (ODI)

I am sure if NZ played any game before the final in Aus, which traveled to NZ to play NZ in a group game, IIRC. Well NZ should have played a few games in Aus too rather than remaining in NZ. NZ looked out of depth in a relatively new environment and Aus powered to another title. 

2016, Kolkata, WI v Eng (T20)

The 2010 Champion Eng took on the 2012 Champion West Indies. One of the most dramatic games with WI needing 19 runs off the last over.  Eng future World Cup superstar Ben Stokes was handed the responsibility for bowling the last over. Carlos Brathwaite dispatched the each of first 4 balls out of the ground to hand WI its 2nd T20 World Cup title. 

2019, Lord's, Eng v NZ (ODI)

Oh boy, what a game. The ODI game ended in a tie. The game went to the super over. Heading into the super-over both teams knew that if super over were to tie too, the team that hit the most boundaries would win. On the last ball, NZ needed just 2 to win. Martin Guptil attempted a 2 but got run out. A tie. Eng wins. Stokes who had that disappointing last over at the 2016 T20 World Cup F was the Man of the Match. For many, this is probably the best LOI game ever especially considering the occasion and the nail-biting drama.

2021, Dubai, Aus v NZ (T20)

Aus takes on NZ in a final. Aus wins its first T20 World Cup title. 

2022, Melbourne, Eng v Pak (T20)

Eng enters its 3rd LOI final of the period. A low-scoring affair where Ben Stokes took Eng home with 6 balls to spare. Eng which hadn't won a title till 2010 now had 3 LOI World Cup titles in no time!

2023, Ahmedabad, Aus v Ind (ODI) 

This is the first World Cup that I did not follow live on TV. I followed it mostly on scorecards. From what I believe, India had seen Aus always bat first in a final. Therefore, it probably created a tactic of bowling first believing that if Aus won the toss, it would bat first, and if India won the toss, it would put Aus in. However, Aus won the toss and put Ind in and went on to lift its 6th ODI and 7th LOI World Cup title! 

I have added a poll. So vote and discuss on what you think is the most interesting final! 

:beer:

2019 Eng vs NZ is not only the best ICC final in last 10 years but of all-time. Simply, no comparison really. You would feel like you are watching a WrestleMania main event. 

The closest to it in terms of pure thrill was 2007 India vs Pak T20 World Cup Final.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

2019 Eng vs NZ is not only the best ICC final in last 10 years but of all-time. Simply, no comparison really. You would feel like you are watching a WrestleMania main event. 

The closest to it in terms of pure thrill was 2007 India vs Pak T20 World Cup Final.

The 2016 T20 final is my pick for #2. Carlos "Remember the name" Brathwaite made it quite memorable with a stunning last over assault! We are used to seeing 18-20 runs being chased down quite regularly in T20, but to do it in a WC final is quite something. 

10 minutes ago, nevada said:

The 2016 T20 final is my pick for #2. Carlos "Remember the name" Brathwaite made it quite memorable with a stunning last over assault! We are used to seeing 18-20 runs being chased down quite regularly in T20, but to do it in a WC final is quite something. 

also against the (overrated) "superman" mr. stinks, I mean mr. stokes.

Appears as if finals with Eng have all/mostly been more interesting esp. from  the drama element:

2019 ODI, 2016 T20, & even 2022 T20 to an extent relatively where the chase early on was difficult with Pak bowlers firing on all cylinders.