The clash of the summer - England v RSA

English batting attack is inexperienced for sure, but all top six average over 40. Their batsmen are capable of playing swing (although a certain ZK made them weep last summer) and all of them (except KP, who is genius) are the traditionally test batsmen. I like watching them bat, and if India is not playing, I support England every time.

It should really be a gud series..i think the english bowling attack is seriously underrated and they can really be potent in their conditions as in wen the ball is swinging around..no matter how gud a batsman u are, u are never comfortable against genuine swing bowling and one has to concentrate really hard to negate good swing bowling..both Anderson and Sidebottom are really gud swing bowlers so they wud keep the SA batsmen on their toes..and the SA attack is really gud also..so it shd be a very gud series with SA being the favorites by a very small margin..

SA batting heroes injured Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis have missed the second day's play against Somerset. More... SA batting heroes injured Patrick Compton July 01 2008 at 07:14AM South Africa's two batting heroes on the opening day of their tour match against Somerset, Hashim Amla and Jacques Kallis, missed the second day's play on Monday through injury. The more serious of the two, Kallis, was hit on the point of his right elbow when he missed a hook off Andy Caddick at the weekend. He left the field two balls later in discomfort, retiring hurt for 160. South Africa's physiotherapist, Shane Jabaar, said there was some swelling in the joint but no fracture. "I don't see the injury as serious and I don't plan, at this stage, to request an X-ray," said Jabaar. Jabaar said that the coaching staff would make a decision on Kallis's participation for today's third and final day of the match just before the start of play. But even if Kallis was to miss the rest of the match Jabaar was confident that the player would be fit enough to face Middlesex at Uxbridge starting on Friday in the second tour match. Amla, who struck 172 at the weekend, was diagnosed with a mild groin strain sustained during his innings. His absence on Monday, however, was purely precautionary. The right-hander, who did not play in the Indian Premier League, was playing his first innings in two months. Jabaar said that captain Graeme Smith, who is sitting out this match, was recovering from the hamstring tear he picked up in the IPL. Smith is set to lead a Test-strength team against Middlesex.

Proteas ready for Freddy South Africa coach Mickey Arthur will not be surprised if England recalls Andrew Flintoff for the first Test at Lord's - even though he believes it will be a gamble. More... Proteas ready for Freddy 2/07/2008 7:47:55 AM PA Sport 00022724-image.jpg South Africa coach Mickey Arthur will not be surprised if England recalls Andrew Flintoff for the first Test at Lord's - even though he believes it will be a gamble. Flintoff is playing for Lancashire against Sussex in the County Championship as he strives to prove his match fitness after his ankle problems. The England selectors will announce the side for the first Test on Thursday - in addition to the 30-man squad for the Champions Trophy in Pakistan in September. Arthur, speaking after his side's drawn game with Somerset at Taunton, believes Flintoff's inclusion will enhance the quality of the England side. But he also questioned whether England coach Peter Moores could risk playing him as a fully-fledged part of the bowling attack after his long lay-off and that he may have to be accommodated in the top six. "Flintoff certainly gives the England attack a different flavour because he has got that bustling pace. It will be tempting to play him if he is fighting fit," Arthur said. "I wouldn't be surprised if he came straight back in. I think he is a quality, quality cricketer. I think Flintoff coming back strengthens England." "But I wouldn't want to be selecting the side because I am not sure if you can bank on him coming straight back in and giving the amount of overs a Stuart Broad or a James Anderson would." "So then he really has to take the place of one of the top six. That is what they have got to weigh up. I am not sure they will get the balance right there." "But if I had a Flintoff, I'd have him back. It might be a gamble but Peter Moores knows what he is doing. He will assess things but when you've got a quality player like him available, you'll want to pick him."

i don't think we will get to see "OLD" freddy again...he is not getting younger now...he has cut down on his face...and without pace..he can never be dangerous for his style of bowling.. He extracts bounce from the pitch..hit the deck hard....and that takes toll on the body..and ankle is one part of a fast bowlers body which takes maximum pressure ... and ECB will save freddy for all important Ashes..they would not want freddy to get injured again... Lets see....although a fully fit and in-form freddy is good for international cricket....but England has bowlers for English conditions..which can give SA batsmen some challenge..

Donald: Smith v Sidebottom will decide series South African bowling legend Allan Donald knows what the Proteas have to do to win their first post-isolation Test series success in England. More... Donald: Smith v Sidebottom will decide series July 02 2008 at 07:42AM By Zaahier Adams Proteas skipper Graeme Smith has to stamp his authority over England's ace opening bowler Ryan Sidebottom if South Africa are to achieve their first post-isolation Test series success in England, says South African fast bowling legend Allan Donald. Donald, who is currently coaching at English county Warwickshire, believes the left-arm England Player of the Year poses a huge threat to Smith, and ultimately South Africa's chances of victory. "The series will be decided by who wins the Smith v Sidebottom battle," Donald told the Cape Times from Edgbaston. "Ryan bowls left-arm over the wicket and, uniquely for a left-arm bowler, shapes the ball away from the left-handed batsman. Graeme is going to find it really tough, and whether he survives will be pivotal to South Africa's chances." Although Smith sat out his team's opening tour match against Somerset - which ended in a draw yesterday - the 27-year-old is expected to be over his hamstring injury in time to face up to Sidebottom when the first Test gets underway at Lord's next Thursday. Smith enjoyed a prolific series during the Proteas' last visit to England in 2003, scoring back-to-back Test double-centuries, a national-record 277 at Edgbaston and a match-winning 259 at Lord's. Smith finished the five-match series with a staggering average of 70.41. However, Smith endured a wretched run of form during South Africa's 2-1 series defeat to the English on home soil two years later. Smith's arch-nemesis during the Basil D'Oliviera series was swing bowler Matthew Hoggard, who exposed major flaws in the skipper's technique. Hoggard, who is not in the England squad at present, collected the prize wicket of Smith in each of the first four Tests, forcing him to move down the order to No 5 in the second innings of the fourth Test and the two innings of the fifth and final Test at Centurion. "Smith's technique has always been suspect over the years," added Donald, who was England's fast bowling coach for three-and-a-half months last year. "Hoggy just can't get into England team at the moment, but I have to stress that Sidebottom poses a huge threat. He and James Anderson complement each other well."

An interesting test series but clash of the summer? Baah!! How many all time greats are going to featuring in the series? Will the series involve a top notch test side challenging someone's citadel at home? The clash of the summer is India vs. SL but having said that it promises to be a superb series and with the prospect of Jones returning England just might be able to avert a series loss.

Alma, Kallis passed fit On Wednesday the Proteas enjoyed a day off, heading off to Wimbledon to enjoy the men's quarterfinals. More... Alma, Kallis passed fit Patrick Compton July 03 2008 at 08:28AM This is the time of the phoney war, with South Africa still building momentum but generally staying under the media radar after their useful match practice against Somerset in Taunton. What has been remarkable so far is the almost complete lack of news or speculation coming out of the South African camp. Coach Mickey Arthur knew the identity of his Test line-up before leaving his country's shores. Indeed, he knew the identity of his XI during the Proteas tour to Bangladesh and India earlier this year. The only hiccup in Taunton was the injury to Jacques Kallis, hit on the right elbow by Andy Caddick when he had reached 152. Despite leaving the field two balls later both dispatched for four in some distress, the camp has issued assurances that he will be fit for Friday's match against Middlesex. Hashim Amla, who picked up the mildest of groin strains during his innings of 172, is also fine, while Graeme Smith batted successfully in the nets on the last two days of the match. Arthur's tone on Tuesday was one of genial satisfaction: "The batsmen had scored runs, while the bowlers had got overs under their belts on an admittedly placid pitch." No wonder he praised Somerset for providing the ideal conditions, and hospitality, for the opening match of the tour. On Wednesday the South Africans enjoyed a day off, heading off to Wimbledon to enjoy the men's quarterfinals. England, on the other hand, are less settled going into the all-important first Test at Lord's in a week's time. First of all, there has been considerable speculation over whether Andrew Flintoff will be included in the squad when it is announced by the England selectors later on Thursday. Secondly, there is concern over the fitness of England captain Michael Vaughan following news that he missed the last session of play in Yorkshire's defeat against Durham on Tuesday. Vaughan has had four operations to his right knee, and there were signs on the last day that he wasn't moving freely in the field. He didn't come out after tea and was spotted in the players' area holding an ice pack to his knee. After the match Yorkshire's director of cricket, Martyn Moxon, admitted that Vaughan had got "a few body issues" while denying that he wouldn't be fit for the first Test. "There's no danger of him missing the Test, but, yeah, the knee is a little bit sore. He needs to give his body time to recover and let the niggles settle, which is why he won't be playing in the FP Trophy semifinal (tomorrow)." The likelihood is that the England 12 will probably be the same as the outfit that beat New Zealand.

Fab Four back and knocking at the door: England boosted by return of Ashes heroes Geoff Miller will send the same England team out next week for the sixth successive Test but made it clear that their chances of making it seven in a row is under threat.326450047More... Fab Four back and knocking at the door: England boosted by return of Ashes heroes By PAUL NEWMAN Last updated at 8:39 AM on 04th July 2008 Geoff Miller will send the same England team out next week for the sixth successive Test but made it clear yesterday that their chances of making it seven in a row will come under threat from the return to form and fitness of the famous four fast bowlers who won the Ashes. Failure to defeat South Africa at Lord's in the first Test of the four-match npower series will see the clamour for the inclusion of the men who did so much to provide England with their finest achievement in years gain momentum. It is a call that is likely to be answered by the selectors. article-0-01D650A100000578-54_468x435.jpg On the edge: Simon Jones is battling to win back his England place Flintoff stays in the cold as England named unchanged Test side for sixth time in a row Andrew Flintoff is at the front of the queue for an England recall, and looks sure to play in the second Test at Headingley if he comes through another week of action for Lancashire unscathed, but his partners in the destruction of the Aussies in 2005 are all now just behind him and close to making unexpected but hugely welcome international comebacks. Steve Harmison and Matthew Hoggard both seemed to have been consigned to the England scrapheap when they were dropped after the first Test in New Zealand at the beginning of this historic unchanged run. And the odds against Simon Jones ever regaining the pace and reverse swing that briefly made him such a potent force were enormous. Now all of them are knocking on the door again to raise the stakes in the business end of this summer of mixed fortunes for England. Jones, who has endured three miserable years since limping out of the fourth Test against Australia at Trent Bridge in 2005, took the first step towards an emotional return when he was named yesterday in the provisional 30-man squad for the Champions Trophy one-day tournament in Pakistan in September. It is the reward for his determination in refusing to give up when knee and ankle problems seemed to signal the premature end to a career of rich promise. "It's such a great feeling," said the Welshman, who has rebuilt his career this year at Worcestershire after an acrimonious end to his long association with Glamorgan. "I've worked hard, kept my head down and just tried to bowl as well as I could. "The last couple of years have been a bit of a write-off because physically I wasn't up to the demands of the game but this year I've felt strong, the ball has come out really well and I'm feeling upbeat." So upbeat that Miller, the national selector, said Jones could well feature against South Africa if the bowlers in possession struggle next week and was also positive about Harmison's chances of once again providing the pace and bounce which makes him, at his best, such a formidable proposition. Hoggard, meanwhile, is bowling well for Yorkshire and remains the best swing alternative to Ryan Sidebottom. "If Jones can perform again like he did in the Ashes then we've got something special there," said Miller. "We've monitored him stringently this summer and he's on the mend. "ve had a chat with Harmison, too, and if they, and others, are knocking on the door then it's a good situation for us." That is music to the ears of Jones, who has taken 26 first-class wickets for Worcestershire, admittedly in the Second Division, including three five-wicket hauls. Other counties offered him pay as you play contracts last winter but it was only Worcester who showed enough faith to offer him a no strings attached deal. "I just wanted someone to believe in me, to show me faith, and Glamorgan wouldn't do that which was hard for me to accept after 12 or 13 years there," said Jones, 29. "It was a bitter pill to swallow but I had a chat with Steve Rhodes (the Worcester coach) and liked what he said. I didn't feel as if I was leaving much behind and it was an easy decision to join Worcester in the end. "I worked so hard to get where I needed to be last year and when it didn't go right I did doubt myself. It's been hard watching England play without me but sport can be cruel. "Now I've got a new lease of life and physically I feel brilliant. It would be superb if the Ashes boys could get together again but I'm not looking too far ahead. I want to play a full season and take it from there." The most unexpected name in a Champions Trophy squad which will be whittled down to a final 15 next month was Darren Pattinson of Nottinghamshire, surely the first Grimsby-born roof tiler who has played most of his cricket for Dandenong in Melbourne to be selected by England. At least on a Thursday. England squads Test v South Africa Michael Vaughan (capt)....Yorks Alastair Cook......................Essex Andrew Strauss .................Middlesex Kevin Pietersen .................Hants Ian Bell................................Warwicks Paul Collingwood...............Durham Tim Ambrose (wkt) ............Warwicks Stuart Broad ......................Notts Ryan Sidebottom...............Notts Monty Panesar...................Northants James Anderson................Lancs Chris Tremlett ....................Hants

Morkel in threatening form Morne Morkel saw off Andrew Strauss in quick time at Uxbridge this morning to serve notice of the threat his extra pace will pose to England. More... Morkel in threatening form 5 July 2008 morkel1crop-102419.jpg South Africa seamer Morne Morkel steams in at Uxbridge Morne Morkel made short work of Andrew Strauss and was the clear pick of South Africa’s dangerous pace attack on the second day against Middlesex at Uxbridge. England opener Strauss appeared set to make a point for the Test series about to start at Lord’s next week but was cut off in his prime by first change Morkel, in Middlesex’s teatime total of 163 for three in reply to 359 for five declared. Strauss was into his stride with two boundaries this morning in a first over from Dale Steyn which cost 15 runs. Strauss and Billy Godleman continued to bat with purpose against new-ball pair Steyn and Makhaya Ntini, and the England man looked in good form with five convincing boundaries in his 29 - before Morkel struck in only his second over. Granted the chance to bowl on a pitch with useful pace and carry, Morkel was soon thudding the ball high into wicketkeeper Mark Boucher’s gloves. It was one such delivery which Strauss attempted to deflect for runs fine on the leg-side, only to be undone by Morkel and was caught behind. Youngsters Godleman and Dawid Malan (57no) were therefore required to deal with Morkel and the rest of the attack for the remainder of the session - and duly did so without major alarm but plenty of necessary concentration. Godleman was to go disappointingly early in the afternoon, clipping a catch to second slip as Jacques Kallis angled the ball into him from round the wicket - and the fourth of Middlesex’s five successive left-handers, captain Ed Joyce, was bowled through the gate driving at left-arm spinner Paul Harris. Eoin Morgan survived a confident lbw appeal from Harris first ball. dawidmalan-102428.jpg Dawid Malan drives Paul Harris into the leg side But it was the return of Morkel, sparingly used for just four overs before lunch, which began to trouble the well-organised Malan. He played and missed more than once before edging to third slip on 39, only to be reprieved by a no-ball - on the way to a 113-ball half-century which was completed with a cover drive for his eighth four, off Kallis in a productive final over before tea. For the Roehampton-born but South African-bred and raised 20-year-old, it was doubtless a highly-satisfying moment. The tourists’ overnight centurion Ashwell Prince (114) and AB de Villiers had earlier shown little obvious urgency in half-an-hour’s batting, adding 20 runs in 8.3 overs. It was Prince’s dismissal which brought the declaration just before it would have become mandatory in the 100th over. South Africa were clearly concerned with preparation for the Test series rather than extra runs off the Middlesex attack - and each batsman allowed several balls to pass by, taking only what was easily on offer with minimal risk. Prince’s accomplished 206-ball innings ended when Morgan intercepted a crunching cut shot off Danny Evans to take an athletic catch at point.

"Welcome to England, if anyone is out of form or hasn't played in a while, don't worry, we've done everything we can to make sure you get into form as soon as possible." Andrew Caddick's tongue-in-cheek response to the pitch in Taunton where the South African batsmen made merry in their tour opener
:laugh: This series buildup is reaching a crescendo. It could be make or break for Strauss and Collingwood.

Morkel ready to crank up the pace South Africa’s emerging fast bowler Morne Morkel is promising to “crank up” the pace this summer - and warns he has his eyes on a couple of England batsmen in particular. More... Morkel ready to crank up the pace 8 July 2008 morkel1crop-102419.jpgMorne Morkel says he has a number of England batsmen in his sights South Africa’s emerging fast bowler Morne Morkel is promising to “crank up” the pace this summer - and warns he has his eyes on a couple of England batsmen. Some English fans have already had a glimpse of the 6ft 6ins, 23-year-old’s capabilities in tour matches at Taunton and Uxbridge, where he was used in short but nonetheless alarming spells. Andrew Strauss lasted just six balls for Middlesex before Morkel’s extra pace and bounce saw him off caught behind, leaving the England opener to muse on similarities between the young South African and Steve Harmison. Morkel warns ominously that he can bowl faster when the force is with him - and he is impatient to see if everything clicks when the first Test gets under way at Lord’s this week. “When everything is feeling 100% and my rhythm is nice, I’ll definitely be trying to crank it up,” he promised. Morkel has eased his way back to fitness just in time for the start of the four-match series, having featured prominently in South Africa’s spring trip to India only to suffer a hamstring injury shortly after joining Yorkshire. The bad news for England’s batsmen is that he is feeling stronger than ever. “The break has helped me,” he said. “India was a stressful time, my comeback series after I got injured in Pakistan (last year). “I was mentally a bit drained - but I’m a different man now. “The ball is coming out quite nicely and it’s nice to see the batsmen jumping around a bit. “Come Thursday, it will be the England batsmen who are in my sights. I can’t wait.” Several of Morkel’s team-mates have divulged that South Africa will, unsurprisingly, be targeting Kevin Pietersen in an effort to undermine the home batting. The man himself is too coy to name names, but did spell out: “I’ve got my eye on a couple of batsmen that I would really love personally to get out. “Any of the top five or six will be special wickets for me.” kevin-pietersen-29199.jpgMorkel will be hoping to get rid of Kevin Pietersen cheaply As for the Harmison template, Morkel acknowledges the connection. “When I was growing up I used to idolise guys like Glenn McGrath, and later on when Steve came on the scene, I also saw myself as bowling like Steve,” he said. “I see myself as similar and have watched a lot of tapes of him.” Also like Harmison, Morkel appears to be a gentle giant, preferring to let the ball do the talking for him. “I use my energy behind the ball rather than to verbally abuse the batsman,” he said. It is a method which appears to work if South Africa wicketkeeper Mark Boucher’s testimony is a reliable guide. “I was standing with the slips, bowling with the wind, and the ball is taking off from a length,” Boucher said. “I turned around to Graeme (Smith) and said ‘thank goodness he’s in my side, and I don’t have to face him’.” It is all a far cry from Morkel’s first stab at cricket in this country - as a teenager in 2002, when he began so badly that he thought his first match might be his last. “I played for a little village after school called Endons, in Stoke-on Trent,” he remembered. “That was my first taste of English cricket. I struggled for my first couple of games, had a terrible game in the first one, and I think they thought of chasing me back home.” He has come a long way since - as England’s batsmen are about to discover.

England vs SA: teams Probable teams and officials for the first Test between England and South Africa starting at Lord's. More... July 09 2008 at 09:51AM Probable teams and officials for the first Test between England and South Africa starting at Lord's on Thursday: England: Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook, Michael Vaughan (capt), Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Tim Ambrose (wkt), Stuart Broad, James Anderson, Ryan Sidebottom, Monty Panesar South Africa: Graeme Smith (capt), Neil McKenzie, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, AB de Villiers, Mark Boucher (wkt), Paul Harris, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Dale Steyn Umpires: Daryl Harper (AUS) and Billy Bowden (NZL) TV umpire: Nigel Llong (ENG) Match referee: Jeff Crowe (NZL)