Ajanta Mendis : So, let me ask

Guest dada_rocks

itz gonna be a good contest i believe....yuvi, dhoni,raina versus SL spinners.....these middle overs are goin to be cruical...yuvi and raina dnt need to prove to any fools about their ability to score against quality spinners just wait and see
Jatta...Yuvi has to prove something. If he does well against spin here, he might get another look in for tests. I really want him to play tests man!
Guest dada_rocks
man how well did Gambhir face murali in that cwb series. just watching the hilites agian.. fantastic stuff
Gambhir is in different class altogether against spinners.. i will put him along side boss dada sehwag etc..

Naah... India played Murali cautiously just for the heck of it. We could have blasted him out of the attack if we wanted to, but gave him respect just to lull the Lankans into thinking that Murali+Mendis combo will work wonders for 'em in the finals. All part of a grand plan!

well not really..Gauti got a bad decision and knowing how well Gauti played Murali in the CB series it wudnt ahve been a big problem to negotiate him again here..and he was looking gud also..Raina showed he is no mug against Murali as well..the only factor with Mendis is there is this mystery surrounding him..but i really feel that the Indian batsmen wudnt care wat kinda ball that guy is gonna bowl..they wud read him off the pitch and dispatch him..the only player susceptible to spin bowling in our batting line up is Yuvi and that too early on in his innings..so if v dont take these 2 spinners lightly and treat the gud balls wit respect and hit the bad balls im sure v wud do well..v are reading muralis doosras pretty easily..so it wud be a gud challenge but im putting my money on our players :two_thumbs_up:

I dont think Mendis will make a huge difference. Most of them have not. We are very well equipped to play the noob surprises.
Hope y'all are right. And, for some reason, I completely missed the fact that Vaas didn't play either. Now that you have allayed one fear, I found another one :-D

Sri Lanka should win the final easily. Their bowling in the middle overs, with Mendis, is just on a different level than India's even though Ojha did bowl decently today. On these pitches a Murali/Mendi combo is going to guarantee them 20 overs for no more than 110 runs plus at least a couple of wickets making the difference in the match.

Would Ajantha Mendis have made any difference in this match? I shudder to think of him and Murali bowling in tandem in the final.
I dont think he would have. So long as we keep attacking the spinners we are good. The problem starts when we try to play-off the main bowlers, in this case Mendis and Murali. This in turn means 20 overs gone for nothing to show for. I like the positive frame of mind shown by the batsmen and even more encouraging is that atleast 5 batsmen - Sehwag, Gambhir, Raina, Dhoni, Yuvraj - seem to be in good knick with Rohit Sharma showing improvements today. If 3 out of these 6 click in the finals we should see a good healthy score by Indians.