Mendis Mystery !

After seeing Mendis win the Asia cup final for Sri Lanka we all have been taken by surprise with this mystery spinner's technique. He seemed unplayable and at the moment there is nothing in his action that gives away any hints about the delivery that he is about to bowl. This made me think about what can possibly happen now. There is no other option for the batsmen from around the world but to figure out what he is doing and how is he doing it. If one thinks about it , why is Mahela hiding him.. why is it that Sanga is able to read him with ease from behind the stumps ? I think there is something silly or basic in his action which will be highlighted very soon. If we think about it Bhajji also made a similar debut and in his first few test matches he was unplayable but very soon most players around the world figured him out. Since then Bhajji has been an ok spinner and has never been as threatening as he initially was. Also, Tanvir was pretty difficult to face with his awkward action but batsmen have more or less figured him out (al though Tanvir was never as threatening or different as Mendis is). If batsmen fail to figure it out then Mendis can be a real big threat since he will be spending a lot of time with Murali in the nets and team meetings. Murali will try to pass on as much knowledge as possible to the newbie to leave Sri lanka in good hands..

well I wanted to discuss if his technique and action can be figured out ...I dont think there is any other thread where we are discussing this
good point. It's amazing how Sanga picks him, More importantly though, we should have just played out Mendis and attacked the others including Mendis. They thought they could hit him out of the attack. Wrong move.

I was reading somewhere that Sanga practiced upto an hour every day before Mendis made his debut just so he could get used to his variations. Regarding handling him, I think a slightly squarish stance(not as ridiculous as Chanderpaul's) can help a batsman tuck most of his variations to the onside for runs. And in test cricket, using the bat against him is a must. Padding will be result in a violent end.

In all honesty I dont think there is much mystery to Mendis's bowling and yes I am not going nuts. What I personally feel is that it is the batsmen who are not able to read him simply because of the way they have been raised to play the game. Most of us who have played cricket one way or the other have tried bowling both kind of spin. And I would say a lot of us would be capable of bowling both off spin and leg spin. However as we progress up the ladder we are taught to bowl one kind of spin only with the usual logic of line and length, control etc etc. So anyone who ends up playing at highest level becone uni-directional. This obviously is how batsmen read the bowler as well. Hence Murali is an off spinner and Kumble is a leggie. What I beleive Mendis does is to bowl without much change in action. This is what the key would be. Right now batsmen are playing him on intution, once they start seeing the ball out of his hands they would be better placed. Of course I dont mean to take anything away from Mendis. This also reminds me of how Sidhu tackled Saqlain. When Saqlain came out with his doosra he was quite deadly. Sidhu had a tough time reading him and he saught advise from Mohinder Amarnath. Jimmy asked Sidhu to watch for Saqi's run up to the wicket. The moment he got closer to the umpire, it was almost always a doosra. Sidhu used it very effectively and scored runs. Point being batsmen will dissect Mendis and it should be interesting to see the development.

it all seems all are Batting Legendz here...:hysterical:.. Mendis is lucky that ...people from here are not playing..otherwise..he would have retired after his first game itself...:haha:
:hahaha: this guy will be same as tanvir... once batsman figure him out.. he will get killed..
it all seems all are Batting Legendz here...:hysterical:.. Mendis is lucky that ...people from here are not playing..otherwise..he would have retired after his first game itself...:haha:
:hysterical::hysterical: seriously.... we are talking as if we are better than sachin or even bradman!! But i sincerely hope masta will teach who the boss is in SL :-D
the keeper has more time to react than the batsman. Sanga(the batsman) vs AM in a domestic match would offer better clues (if they have TV coverage of such matches ) . What MSD did today is the simplest thing one could do against AM ... read him off the pitch. That reduces reaction time but atleast you have some chances.
But, BB, Sangakkara moves before the ball pitches.
But' date=' BB, Sangakkara moves before the ball pitches.[/quote'] its not tough to figure out.Sanga knows what is coming.this happens in baseball too where the catcher signals the pitcher(or enquires the pitcher) on the type of pitch coming up.just because we dont know the signals doesnt mean that they(sanga and mendis) are communicating before the ball.
But' date=' BB, Sangakkara moves before the ball pitches.[/quote'] thats the thing , there is something in his action or run up which gives it away. Also, his grip and release of the ball is not much different for his various deliveries. I guess some Indian batting coach can be of great help to India .. to have gary kirsten talk about spin is actually a little funny :giggle: