too much quota-system in indian team selection

Okay, lemme sum up the conversation so far. Half the people are arguing RANJI is the best indicator of test match worthiness. Theoretically, yes but even a cursory look at difference between standards of Ranji and Test matches will tell you its just one part of the story. Sure, it tells about SOME technique and all, but at the international level, technique is one component. Plus we have flat pitches anyways. Lots of other things like clear thinking, pressure handling and big match temperament are tested only in international fixtures. Sharma has shown enough of it, plus whatever technique he could, to merit a place. MOST, if not all selections to the test team in India are made on the basis of ODI performance, since most people get a look in for ODIs first. Ranji records are looked at, but not given too much importance, and for a good reason. There are lots of people who have scored thousands of runs (Dharmani comes to mind), but have failed to do anything of note on test level. This approach is in contrast with what happens in Australia, and we could debate over it endlessly.

You'll find many people with strong domestic records dudding in international cricket but the chances of someone who can't even score in domestic cricket to hit it big at the international level are close to zero and I am yet to see a real exception to it. Rohit Sharma is a 100% quota selection, no matter how one tries to spin it. And those lauding him for ODIs/T20s, you guys are talking as if he some kind of a world beater in those formats. Even calling him mediocre would be stretching it.

Munaf is a shocker' date=' but I think Sharma deserves his chance. I think he's the best among all the emerging youngsters, just give him time to find his groove. We forget how good he was in the T20 WC and in the CB series in Aus. Parthiv has also improved by leaps and bounds, atleast in his batting. I think Parthiv deserved his selection as second choice keeper.[/quote'] BS, rohit the best among all emerging youngsters??:hysterical::hysterical: one who cant play spin? rofl!!
sehwag was a special case, he was proven match winner in test cricket before, hence the captain kumble opted for him in aussie tour. Gambhir scored tonz after tonz in last year's ranji trophy. won Delhi the Ranji. was one of the best players in last seasons ranji. OTH, Sharma flopped in ranjiz..
rohit is over hyped, that idiot couldnt score runs on flattest of tracks at more than 100 sr... he has ZERO chance in test series against mendis and murali. And other kids like dhiwan, suresh and badri are in smashing form in ranji...
rohit is over hyped' date=' [b']that idiot couldnt score runs on flattest of tracks at more than 100 sr... he has ZERO chance in test series against mendis and murali. And other kids like dhiwan, suresh and badri are in smashing form in ranji...
let's not curse rohit sharma, rohit didn't force selectos to select him. it's the selectors who have done this.
You'll find many people with strong domestic records dudding in international cricket but the chances of someone who can't even score in domestic cricket to hit it big at the international level are close to zero and I am yet to see a real exception to it. Rohit Sharma is a 100% quota selection, no matter how one tries to spin it. And those lauding him for ODIs/T20s, you guys are talking as if he some kind of a world beater in those formats. Even calling him mediocre would be stretching it.
since when is munaf > praveen? ideal conditions for praveen kumar there. Idiot mumbai selectors
listen bros, there are hardly any slots to be snatched by other players who are waiting to be given chance, and such slots should be given to the one who has been performing well, and Badri has been doing this and deserved it hence. if we go by the theory that he performed well in odi's, then this way none of the domestic players who play ranji trophy and don't play for India in odi's, would ever get a achance to play for India in test or atleast be in squad. what we all really mean is that Rohit Sharma, didn't deserve it ahead of players like Badrinath. Parthiv Patel, well you can debate that, but then he is alredy selected in squad mate, check the squad. and even if he hadn't been in the squad, then iw ould have picked Badri over Patel, because patel who scored runs in ranji last year were all against 2nd devision team, unlike Badri who scored against better oppositions.
this parthiv fool got spot before in the idian team and he ***ed it up.... but badri is in amazing form.... i absolutely agree with cricketics here, rohit sharma .... rofl!

Actually it was coach Gary's idea to select Rohit

Rohit Sharma has taken his elevation to India's Test squad with the composure that has been the defining feature of his batting. He didn't expect the call so early, he says, but he isn't unprepared for the challenge. In fact, he was told to stay ready by none other than Gary Kirsten, the coach. "He believes I can do well in all formats of the game and has shown a lot of confidence in me," Rohit said. Kirsten wasn't alone. Some senior players had hinted to him during the Asia Cup that he might get picked and suggested he remain focused.
Actually it was coach Gary's idea to select Rohit
then bad luck to rohit cuz if he fails here, his entire career would be doomed. Cuz i cant see patience in him to handle murali and mendis with close fielders in for sure.

Having GodFather(s) helps a "budding" cricketer or even one who is out of favor. VVS Laxman is one who has no GodFather. Kaif has no GodFather (not suggesting Kaif be selected). Just some examples. Badrinath has none. Rohit Sharma seems to have gotten lucky.

then bad luck to rohit cuz if he fails here' date=' his entire career would be doomed. Cuz i cant see patience in him to handle murali and mendis with close fielders in for sure.[/quote'] Great. Tell me again, who would you have as keeper, since you dont want either Parthiv or Karthik?:hysterical:
Having GodFather(s) helps a "budding" cricketer or even one who is out of favor. VVS Laxman is one who has no GodFather. Kaif has no GodFather (not suggesting Kaif be selected). Just some examples. Badrinath has none. Rohit Sharma seems to have gotten lucky.
Are you trying to say Rohit Sharma has a godfather? Who?

people surprised that a player from mumbai has been selected for the test team despite some pretty mediocre performance in ODIs. now, that's a surprise. that said, IMO RS is pretty good player and hope he atleast gets to play a few games. as for badri, the poor guy couldn't even buy a decent batting slot in his hometown IPL team, forget international career.

well said by mouni there. rohit sharma, munaf & parthiv r all quota-system based selections and talking of players coming into the test middle-order without playing odis, dravid & laxman made it. they made their test debuts in 1996, but dravids odi debut was a few days later after his test debut & laxman made his odi debut in 1998. also kaif was given a chance in the test middle order in 2000 series against sa, whereas he had to wait till 2002 odi series against eng for his odi debut and also look at this list for the runs scored in indian fc season in 2007/08. players like kaif, badrinath, raina & dhawan r all very high on that list. and they also have a good avg as well. whereas even till the bottom of that list, rohit sharma is nowhere to be seen. link - http://stats.cricinfo.com/indiandomestic/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?class=4;host=6;id=2007%2F08;type=season