Indian Domestic cricket 08-09 : Irani Trophy

Chandan

Irani Trophy, 2008-09 Ganguly out of Rest of India squad Cricinfo staff September 8, 2008 Sourav Ganguly has been left out of the Rest of India squad for the Irani Trophy match, from September 24, in Vadodara. Mohammad Kaif has been included, after creditable performances for UP and India A. Ashok Dinda, the Bengal fast bowler, gets a surprise call-up to the squad, which is meant to feature probables for the Australia series in October. Sachin Tendulkar, who declared himself fit for the match between the Ranji champions Delhi and a Rest of India side, has made it along with Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman. Parthiv Patel has been picked ahead of Dinesh Karthik and is likely to open the batting with Wasim Jaffer. Rest of India squad: Anil Kumble (capt), Sachin Tendulkar, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), VVS Laxman, Rahul Dravid, Wasim Jaffer, Mohammad Kaif, Pragyan Ojha, Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Parthiv Patel, RP Singh, Ashok Dinda, Harbhajan Singh © Cricinfo -------------------- Great Selection.... Kaif is back and he deserves it... Hope he makes it to the test team... sad to see badri miss out.. he dint help himself either in the recent match againt Aus A..

ROI Irani Trophy, 2008-09 Ganguly out in 'signal to the team' Cricinfo staff September 8, 2008 345879.jpgMohammad Kaif is the likely candidate to replace Sourav Ganguly in the Rest of the India middle order © AFP Sourav Ganguly has been left out of the Rest of India squad for the Irani Trophy match in what Cricinfo has learnt is a signal from the national selectors that it is time to start phasing out India's veteran middle-order. Other notable exclusions for the season-opener are Yuvraj Singh, Rohit Sharma and S Badrinath - but Mohammad Kaif has returned to the reckoning after his 94 for India A against Australia A. The Rest team for the match against Delhi, which starts in Vadodara on September 24, is meant to feature probables for the Australia Test series in October. Ganguly's exclusion raises once again a question mark over his international future - he is already out of the ODI picture. A national selector and a senior BCCI official whom Cricinfo spoke to said the selectors consulted Anil Kumble, the India Test captain, and Gary Kirsten, the national coach, before dropping Ganguly. Both Kumble and Kirsten were completely on board with the decision, they said. One of the selectors also spoke to Ganguly about the decision and the former India captain has "accepted it", the selector said. "The decision to drop Ganguly is a signal to the team," the selector said. "He's 36-37 and we felt it was getting increasingly tough for him to cope with the fielding and fitness levels expected at the international level. We spoke to Kumble and Kirsten too, and they were with us on this. We felt we should put in place the process of bringing in the next set of players." While the decision to drop Ganguly was based on a dip in form and his diminishing fielding skills, they said, the selectors were not convinced that Yuvraj was completely fit. However, both insisted that Ganguly's Test future could still be revived by the new national selection committee, which will pick the Test team for the four-Test series against Australia starting on October 9. Apparently, the selectors are hoping that Mohammad Kaif, who impressed them with a well-made 94 in the India A vs Australia A match in Bangalore last week, will fill Ganguly's slot in the middle. "There is also a good chance for Badrinath (the India A skipper)," the selector said. "Badrinath came up with a convincing display in Sri Lanka last month and he is a fantastic fielder too. But again, it is up to the new selection panel." He said that Yuvraj's fitness was the main reason why he was dropped - the left-hander has been dogged by a knee injury, and is also believed to be nursing a shoulder injury. Meanwhile, Ashok Dinda, the Bengal medium-pacer, got a surprise call-up to the squad while Sachin Tendulkar, who declared himself fit for the match has made it along with Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman. Parthiv Patel, the other promotion from the India A side, is likely to open the batting with Wasim Jaffer. Rest of India squad: Anil Kumble (capt), Sachin Tendulkar, Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), VVS Laxman, Rahul Dravid, Wasim Jaffer, Mohammad Kaif, Pragyan Ojha, Zaheer Khan, Munaf Patel, Parthiv Patel, RP Singh, Ashok Dinda, Harbhajan Singh :omg: Ashok Dinda? What is this guy doing in the team? If he is so good why wasn't he chosen in A team? We could very well have chosen another middle order bat, but unfortunately Badrinath failed for India A at a very crucial moment! And Parthiv? Why was he chosen? Do we have such a dearth of openers in the country? Who are the bowlers who we can consider for tests: Ishant Zaheer RPS Munaf Sree(crocked at the monent) Is this all? After this we have to fall on Ashok Dinda? Why is Mishra not getting a chance? Why are we not identifying Kumble's replacement? Or are selectors thinking that Ojha is ready for job? This is incredible! I think one guy from East Zone didn't find a place (Ganguly) hence another East Zone guy (Dinda) was chosen!!
I think the same selectors...... According to Times now.....selectors have mentioned that dada might still make it to the 1st test.
If so, then how wise is it to not give practice to that out of form batsmen even in domestic cricket ahead of an important series? Why can't these selectors tell truth to the media?
If so' date=' then how wise is it not give practice even in domestic cricket to that out of form batsmen? Why can't these selectors tell truth to the media?[/quote'] Agree...If indeed he has been dropped for good ,then the least the guy deserves is some honesty. How difficult is it for the selectors to tell the guys that? I think the assumption that he might find a place is based on the fact that the selection for this team was made by these selectors but the selection for the test team will be done by the new selectors who may differ in their views.

woah ... kind of sudden to drop ganguly i reckon ... he had a very good year in 2007 (i think he was the leading run scorer in tests) and played game saving and game winning knocks throughout the year. Even the recent series vs SAF he made a fighting 89 when the rest crumbled ... so after 1 bad series he gets dropped.

woah ... kind of sudden to drop ganguly i reckon ... he had a very good year in 2007 (i think he was the leading run scorer in tests) and played game saving and game winning knocks throughout the year. Even the recent series vs SAF he made a fighting 89 when the rest crumbled ... so after 1 bad series he gets dropped.
That is true, Bharat. Ganguly had poor second half in the Australia tour where he got out several times against Hogg who is not such a great spinner. Then he batted quite well in in last three innings vs SA at home and had a terrible series vs Lanka but Sachin's performance there was poorer. I think selectors are thinking on the line of phasing out the seniors in the test team and they HAD to start with someone. Unfortunately it is Ganguly but it was kind of expected that whenever this process would start Ganguly would be the first to get the chop. Now I just hope that this thinking is carried out by the next set of selectors in a proper process but I know that I'm asking for sky here. Whatever we are thinking, the next set of selectors might think radically different and will take any step. This is a very crucial phase for Indian cricket and I just pray that next set of selectors are wise! The transition was quite smooth in ODI. But I don't expect it to be as smooth in tests. It needs lots of planning and foresight. I just hope that next set of selectors do not let us down!

sorry for ganguly.. if selectgors want to phase out big boys, why start with ganguly... they dropped him uncermoniously two years back and he came back. why cant they drop dravid or vvs for a change. if the logic is that they are needed for the australia series, so is dada.. i cant believe that the whole selectors group is ganged up against dada with the only objective of drawing curtains on his breath-taking career...