Ganguly Announces Retirement!

It says Dada retires and I got a little confused. Atleast, he'll be one of the lucky ones in Indian cricket who knows that he has four tests for his farewell series something like Gilchrist rather than being dropped unceremoniously. While some may not like the idea of farewell tours, the greats of the game do deserve to know that their time is ending, so not a bad idea. Now the crowds will appreciate his efforts during each game. As for Ganguly, I'd rate him as a great ODI player. However, the same cannot be said of his Test career. I would probably rate him as being good in Test matches. Nevertheless, he was a great captain and took the fight to the opposition. Great career overall. Hopefully, he can have a wonderful farewell tour as well.

He was a very good test cricketer too. He had a few barren seasons as captain, but like any other Indian batsmen, he did very well without the burden of captaincy - averages 45 in 60 matches as a player only, compared to 42 overall. Since his comeback in SA a while back, he has averaged 50. That's respectable and would even make him an all-time great in countries like England (where even Michael Atherton garners respect with his batting average of 37), NZ, SA and Phakistan. India will struggle to produce a lefty of similar quality in the future.

Former players hail Ganguly's timing to go PTI Tuesday, October 07, 2008 19:35 IST NEW DELHI: Perfect timing has been the hallmark of Sourav Ganguly's batting and the stylish left-hander chose the right time to call it quits, believe former players. Former captain Bishan Singh Bedi, a bitter Ganguly critic at some point, on Tuesday hailed the left-hander, calling him a 'legend' of the game. "I would like to celebrate his retirement, rather than mourn it because of his enormous contribution to Indian cricket. A great player, a legend of the game has hung up his boots and we all should celebrate his contribution," Bedi said. "I'm not surprised since such a possibility was doing the rounds. It looked very much on the cards. I think he thus became a forerunner among the senior players and I hope he went on his own terms," he added. The spin legend, however, appealed to all to treat senior players with lot more respect. "We've to deal with them with lot more compassion and respect. Players like Ganguly, Anil Kumble, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman are great cricketers and should not be ridiculed," he said. Chief selector K Srikkanth said Ganguly had spoken to him and fellow selector Narendra Hirwani before announcing his retirement. "We had a chat with him and he felt it was his time (to go). Every now and then, the axe was on him and he said, 'Chika, let me play once without any pressure.' "I pray he scores a lot of runs against Australia and India win the series. Because guys like Sourav Ganguly deserve to go out on a winning note," Srikkanth said. "I am surprised by the decision, and at the same time it is a very good decision from Ganguly. He has been under a lot of scrutiny for quite some time and people had started doubting his capabilities. "He has done wonderfully well for the country. A dignified exit was imperative on his part and there can be no better than this," Srinath said. The former pacer said Ganguly served well but was not treated with the respect he deserved. "I am pretty pleased on what he has done today. At the same time I am disappointed at the way he was ignored, dropped and then brought back into the team. There should have have been a better plan and better exit for Ganguly from the game," Srinath said. "I would be very pleased for Ganguly if he can really make a difference in the series (against Australia), scoring tons of runs and may he play his best cricket in his career and leave the game on a high," Srinath said. Kiran More, who had a stormy relation with Ganguly during his stint as the chief selector, also showered praise on the left-hander. "It was no doubt a big decision by him. He probably wanted to go out on a high and the series against Australia provides him a great opportunity. He has done a fantastic job for the country and we all respect what he has achieved," More said. More was effusive in his praise for Ganguly's leadership abilities and said, "He was a brilliant captain. I mean the way he led the team against Australia and Pakistan was just fantastic."

They should organize a grand farewell in honor of Saurav. He certainly deserves it. I just hope this motivates the players, especially the seniors to perform above their usual levels so that they can give a fitting send-off to Saurav. Nothing would cap such an eventful better than a series victory against the Aussies. And hopefully, If Saurav himself manages some useful runs, the better. Sometimes, you dont realize the value and worth of cricketers until they go. This has been one of those occasions. P.S: Attn all those guys who are good at photo-shop: Lets put up a banner celebrating Saurav.

the thing with indian fab4 none of them are very fit cricketers , look at Jayasurya and Hayden they are older than these four and yet they are so fit physically and their fielding and running between the wickets is very good unlike these four and lack of physical fitness has surely curtailed their careers. Ganguly I feel is very good odi batsman still but his lack of range in fielding and also his running between the wickets is just horrible.

Whatever you guys say, it was under him that for the first time, that the team started to believe in itself. Everything came together perfectly, and from 2001-early 2005, was the best that I have seen India play test and ODI cricket. Most of my sweetest memories are from that period. India-Aus 2001, India Aus-2003/4, India-Pak 2004, World Cup 2003, India's tour to England 2002. DADA gave India the steel to beat the Aussie Mofos, and we haven't looked down since.

i was never a fan of Ganguly... but now since he announced his retirement, i gotta admit that he did play a great role in improving of standards of cricket in India.. he brought what we call 'aggressiveness" in the Indian team... Ganguly forsure will be counted in one of the bests from India

As time goes on............ its going to be harder to face reitred, loved cricketers. Dada has been a great player of the team, whether ppl critisize him, I always believe he was a great leader of the team and did his job very good as captain. A fighter, a champion and a charasmatic charahcter who never was shy of his words. A true gentlemen off the pitch and most certainly a player with enough popularity to get a true sending off againt australia. Once a special player, always a special player. I will truely miss you sourav. Hope this last series is one you will never forget!!! Hats off to ganguly God bless you:((:hatsoff: