Ganguly to be part of Sky commentary team for eng tour

he hardly said a thing and whenever he did it was plan and dull' date=' atleast thats what i remember; but i am looking forward to listening to him[/quote'] He ll improve, Gavaskar as a commentator in the early days was pretty boring, but with time he has improved and added a bit of humour to his stints, its not always the tone of the commentator, its sometimes the experience which he brings to the plate that is seen, thats why we have ppl like AB, Sunny and Wasim in the job, coz they are legends or else we would be having a Nicholas popping out in every comm box
He ll improve' date=' Gavaskar as a commentator in the early days was pretty boring, but with time he has improved and added a bit of humour to his stints, its not always the tone of the commentator, its sometimes the experience which he brings to the plate that is seen, thats why we have ppl like AB, Sunny and Wasim in the job, coz they are legends or else we would be having a Nicholas popping out in every comm box[/quote'] Gavaskar is so biased towards India its ridiculous

He will be a good addition, no doubt. Hopefully, he's a bit more forthcoming with his views, now that he isnt playing. Though, I am bit surprised he's getting so close to the action so soon, albeit, this time in the commentary box. One would have expected him to take some more time off.

great news. I also liked how PCA gave him a trophy for his retirement. Delhi should also give him a trophy, and Nagpur should have a parade. Let's make it as hard as possible to change his mind.
:-D Actually I was wondering the same thing when Ravi Shastri announced that this will be Ganguly's last game at Mohali. I was like what if Ganguly comes back? But with IPL, he probably wont.
:-D Actually I was wondering the same thing when Ravi Shastri announced that this will be Ganguly's last game at Mohali. I was like what if Ganguly comes back? But with IPL, he probably wont.
talking about Ravi Shastri, going bit of topic here but it was funny to hear Ravi Shastri calling that current governer of Mohali, an Ex-governer:hysterical:
I would love to see the next replacement average in the 80s against the no. 1 side in the world after the opening two tests' date=' as a side note.[/quote'] The replacement won't have 10 years of test matches under his belt. Of course he won't be as good. But that's the point of blooding a replacement. And it's good to do it now, while RD, Laxy and Tendlya are still around and performing. Otherwise we would have a situation akin to that of the No. 1 team in the world -- which, incidentally, is partially responsible for Ganguly being able to average in the 80s after the opening two tests.
The replacement won't have 10 years of test matches under his belt. Of course he won't be as good. But that's the point of blooding a replacement. And it's good to do it now, while RD, Laxy and Tendlya are still around and performing. Otherwise we would have a situation akin to that of the No. 1 team in the world -- which, incidentally, is partially responsible for Ganguly being able to average in the 80s after the opening two tests.
Australia with their superb FC structure and an eye on the transition have not been able to unearth suitable replacements....the youngsters have to show that they are capable of replacing the old guard on merit rather than age like all of the men you mentioned did in their youth. None of our young brigade has shown anything in the chances given to them. Of course if Ganguly really does want to retire then fine, but from all reports it has looked like he has been forced out.
Australia with their superb FC structure and an eye on the transition have not been able to unearth suitable replacements....
The following is a bit disorganized, but hopefully still understandable: Sure they have replacements. Hussey, Symonds, Clarke are fantastic. Fine, Katich is no Langer (nowhere close to opening with that ugly shuffle, if you ask me) but I expect Jacques to do better. The batting order transition has been pretty smooth. Hayden, Jacques, Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Symonds is a good lineup when not fishing or injured. I expect Jacques or someone else to establish himself just as Haydos is making his exit. They haven't replaced Warnie and Glenn, who basically retired together. I doubt they expected to replace those two, ever. It would be like us replacing SRT or Kapil Dev. They had no pipeline for spinners, and they knew it... now they're making the "no spinning pitches" excuses, like we used to make about our pacers. Gangs is more Langer category than SRT category, I'm sure you'll agree.
the youngsters have to show that they are capable of replacing the old guard on merit rather than age like all of the men you mentioned did in their youth. None of our young brigade has shown anything in the chances given to them. Of course if Ganguly really does want to retire then fine, but from all reports it has looked like he has been forced out.
As far as worthy replacements: Gangs, Laxman and Dravid all mostly failed their first times, and fought to come back into the test team. They were picked in the test teams due to injury. Who know what would have happened to them had Navjot not had panga with Azza etc. A much better way to do this is what will hopefully happen now: Gangs' spot is up for grabs and will allow Badri, Yuvraj, Rohit etc. to show what they have with much less pressure. To use Birbal typesetting, "This is THE perfect time for his retirement". Of course, he would never say that :wink: