Cameron White given job to roughen ball for reverse swing

Mr. Wicket

With Australia searching for ways to come back in the series from a 0-1 deficit and needing inspiration to combat the reverse swing being used so effectively by Ishant Sharma and Zaheer Khan, Ricky Ponting has unveiled some innovative plans to try and level the playing field. More... Aussie leg spinner given job to roughen ball for reverse swing October 25, 2008 21:08 IST With Australia searching for ways to come back in the series from a 0-1 deficit and needing inspiration to combat the reverse swing being used so effectively by Ishant Sharma and Zaheer Khan, Ricky Ponting has unveiled some innovative plans to try and level the playing field. "The Indian quicks have been doing an excellent job with the old ball, which is unusual for them. Ishant and Zaheer have been able to get the ball reversing surprisingly early in their innings, and it caught us off guard. But their middle order are still the ones under pressure, who need to have a few good games to keep their places secure, and I think we've finally got the way to really get them sweating," said Ricky Ponting at a press conference at Delhi after a net practice session. "The whole issue is that Binga, Mitch and Siddle have been giving it their all and bowling quite well in the last couple of matches, but the ball simply hasn't roughened up early enough for them to be effective with reverse. So this time we're hoping to try some different tactics, which is what Tugga said we'd need to succeed in the Final Frontier. Waugh always said a spinner was a key component of the side, and in the next two tests we're planning to give Cameron White a much more important role as he'll be responsible for getting the ball to reverse. We're planning to have him open the bowling, in hopes that having him face Sehwag and Gambhir early on will see the ball deteriorating much sooner than it did in previous tests. I came up with this idea on the fourth day at Mohali when Cam started bowling on the fourth morning - by the end of his second over I noticed the ball's condition had worsened very quickly, probably as a result of the wild shots Virender Sehwag kept trying. So Tim Nielsen and I have decided that Whitey might be the guy to get the ball nice and rough within the first hour if he's given an extended bowl against Sehwag and Gambhir, and then we can hit the aging middle order with our battery of reverse swinging quicks." After exceeding expectations with four wickets in the first two tests at an average of 51.75, only two of which were results of batsmen holing out to the deep, Cameron White said he was feeling confident and ready to spearhead Australia's attack with the new responsibility his captain had given him. "The idea of bowling with the new ball isn't a worrying concept. I know a lot of other spinners find it hard to grip, but my accuracy's just the same. I practiced bowling in the nets yesterday with a new ball for an hour, and it was no different than my practices with an old ball as I kept landing 2 out of 6 balls in line with the stumps and only landing on the wrong pitch three or four times. I'm looking forward to the challenge - I'm just going to relax, run in and give it the biggest rip I can and enjoy my cricket," White was quoted as saying. Australian Associated Press ----- Related articles: "If White and Siddle are bowling, I want to be there batting": Graeme Smith is desperate to return to full fitness and face the Australian attack at the end of this year

The Indian quicks have been doing an excellent job with the old ball' date=' which is unusual for them. Ishant and Zaheer have been able to get the ball reversing surprisingly early in their innings, and it caught us off guard. But their middle order are still the ones under pressure, who need to have a few good games to keep their places secure, and I think we've finally got the way to really get them sweating," said Ricky Ponting at a press conference at Delhi after a net practice session. [/quote'] wo my gaad!:haha: Ponting later added, "Look, like I've said all along, you can take the phrases 'use-by date', 'execute skills on the field', 'fine tuning', 'totally outplayed, but' and 'quality bowler who's not too far off', put them together and quote me on it".