Wow.. Laxman is harsh in rubbing it in..

veer

Laxman criticises 'defensive' Australia Not content with the plaudits following his second double century against Australia as India racked up 613 for seven on the second day of the third Test in Delhi, VVS Laxman has further twisted the knife by calling Ricky Ponting's team 'defensive'. With Australia the dominant force in world cricket for so long, India's batsmen have exposed the glaring deficiencies in their bowling line-up after the retirements of Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath. One-nil down in the series after India's crushing victory in Mohali, it was essential that Australia pegged India back to a manageable total if they were to have a chance of getting back into the series, but Laxman was quick to point out the mental frailties of the tourists after his memorable unbeaten 200, his highest Test score since his career-defining 281 in Kolkata. "The total approach has been defensive right from the start of the series," Laxman said. "You see the captain, saying that they are the underdogs for the series, that puts them in a defensive mode. Our captain Anil [Kumble], despite the criticism he's been facing, is very, very positive in the way he's talking about his team. And Ricky [Ponting] is talking about the Indian team rather than his own team. They're very defensive in the way they're approaching their cricket." Laxman also dismissed claims that the Australians had been hit hard by retirements to several of their key players. "They've got the resources," Laxman said. "Except for Adam Gilchrist, the team doesn't look different from what we played in Australia when they beat us 2-1. I think it's just that mental approach. I'm not sure why they've been defensive in the way they've approached the series." Laxman had words for those who had questioned his place in the side. "Firstly, I think the doubting Thomases have either been in the media, or people outside the team, unfortunately," Laxman said when asked whether he singled out for harsh scrutiny and criticism. "There's no talk like that in the team and the management. The selectors always gave me, and each and every player in the team, the confidence. People were deciding on behalf of the cricketers about when they should retire. Every player knows their responsibility. So yes, it definitely hurts. We're not asking anyone to over-respect us, but we don't want people to degrade our contribution to Indian cricket."

Laxman had words for those who had questioned his place in the side. "Firstly, I think the doubting Thomases have either been in the media, or people outside the team, unfortunately," Laxman said when asked whether he singled out for harsh scrutiny and criticism. "There's no talk like that in the team and the management. The selectors always gave me, and each and every player in the team, the confidence. People were deciding on behalf of the cricketers about when they should retire. Every player knows their responsibility. So yes, it definitely hurts. We're not asking anyone to over-respect us, but we don't want people to degrade our contribution to Indian cricket."
VVS can talk as much as he want about aussies but this growing trend of taking a dig at media/ex-players everytime a player scores some run/ gets wickets is not something i am to fond of. Gambhir said something similiar after his 1st 100, Sachin was critical after he got 12k runs; kumble ofcourse lashed out even without doing much. Saurav, yuvraj, pathan all have done it in past, sunny while commentrating spoke about the angry celebration after a player gets a 100 or takes a crucial wicket. We scored over 600 runs, VVS got 200 yet the second half is so negative. I dont expect our so-called media to improve maybe its time our players showed the way and stopped responding to stupid questions. Again i find nothing wrong in what VVS said but no point talking sense to ppl who want to grab/ produce headlines

even the usually very circumspect and non-controversial VVS getting in on it. I really hope we go on to win this game big ... a nice 2-0 or dare I say 3-0 series will really do loads of good for world cricket. It will also set the marker for other teams