Superb 50 by Yuvraj

Yuvraj takes a small but significant step in redeeming his test status. A big question mark that has been hanging over him so far has been whether he can play quality spin. To an extent, he has addressed that concern in this test. The next test will be the pace, bounce and swing of Eng/Aus/S.A/NZ, with 3 slips and a gully waiting.

i still not convinced abt yuvi... but for sachin on the other end, he is a goner long back.. he still doesnt have a test match temperament.. very impatient.. sachin talking to him helped him immensely.. i hope he gets better by time...
Yeo, he still has a loooooooong way to go before a cementing his place.
i still not convinced abt yuvi... but for sachin on the other end, he is a goner long back.. he still doesnt have a test match temperament.. very impatient.. sachin talking to him helped him immensely.. i hope he gets better by time...
Quite right. Sachin was constantly talking to him keeping him down on earth.

A very important innings from Yuvraj's pointview and ofcourse for India. From the moment he came to bat, the intent was there to see. He was not going to just hang around but play positive cricket. Appearing a bit tentative in the beginning, the presence of Tendulkar at the other end must have helped which he stated in his post match interview as well. Interesting to note was that Flintoff and the other English players were giving some tough time with their sledging. To counter this, Yuvraj would refuse to make eye contact with Freddie while batting. Fintoff was all over in his face, and Harmison tried to get on his nerves by throwing the ball at Yuvi in his follow through, but Yuvraj ignored all that and set to concentrate on his game. He played his shots against the spinners, sweeps, and attacking shots down the track. It was interesting that he moved at the crease and thus had momentum. Perhaps this was why we didnt see one of those ugly back-footed defensive shots from him. As he gained confidence, he started to look Flintoff in the eye and began to make his presence felt on the field. Luck was also on his side as he survived some close calls, especially one against Swan. And then towards the end, he let Tendulkar have his century as well, a sign of appreciation:tounge_smile: With Tendulkar hitting the winning runs and reaching his 41st century in Tests, Yuvi lifted Tendulkar to celebrate as Bumble says in the background: And he lifts Tendulkar, you've got a bad back son

I don't know why people are so surprised. There are three things to consider here; 1. Prior to this test, he had a batting average of 45 in India. He can obviously bat well in Indian conditions, even in the longer form of the game 2. Leaving aside the paki minnows, England have always been his favorite team to play against 3. All the great test knocks he played were in pressure situations. Walked in 94/4 on a green top in Lahore to score a hundred. Walked in at 34/3 at Ahmedabad to bat SL out of the game, and taking Chuthilitharan to the cleaners. The only guy who kept India alive in that infamous test at Karachi when wickets were falling all around him. Walked in at 61/4 against PAK at Bangalore to score a stunning 169 which crushed the inbreds' hopes of levelling the series. This time he was under even more pressure. Forgetting the situation he walked into, India needing 160 runs on a menacing pitch, he was also under immense pressure to produce after he had a great ODI series and a low score in the first innings. But he took it all in his stride and played a knock which will remembered for a long, long time.

I don't know why people are so surprised. There are three things to consider here; 1. Prior to this test, he had a batting average of 45 in India. He can obviously bat well in Indian conditions, even in the longer form of the game 2. Leaving aside the paki minnows, England have always been his favorite team to play against 3. All the great test knocks he played were in pressure situations. Walked in 94/4 on a green top in Lahore to score a hundred. Walked in at 34/3 at Ahmedabad to bat SL out of the game, and taking Chuthilitharan to the cleaners. The only guy who kept India alive in that infamous test at Karachi when wickets were falling all around him. Walked in at 61/4 against PAK at Bangalore to score a stunning 169 which crushed the inbreds' hopes of levelling the series. This time he was under even more pressure. Forgetting the situation he walked into, India needing 160 runs on a menacing pitch, he was also under immense pressure to produce after he had a great ODI series and a low score in the first innings. But he took it all in his stride and played a knock which will remembered for a long, long time.
We'd said all things before, Pred. Shwetabh simply wouldn't listen. Humble pie, Prof Singh?:winky:
We'd said all things before, Pred. Shwetabh simply wouldn't listen. Humble pie, Prof Singh?:winky:
Not yet, but this was a huge step in the right direction by Yuvraj and there is hope that he still might turn out to be a good test performer. Not to take the shine off what was a superb effort and acknowledging the fact that on this wicket to score so much everyone needs a fair slice of luck, Yuvraj did get his fair slice but to his credit capitalized on it. A plumb leg before, a dropped catch and a missed stumping coupled with some very uneasy moments tells me he is still work in progress, but the mental fortitude for a test scrap which I thought he did not have, he did show. Technically, there might still be lots of question marks but have to give him 100% for his temperament yesterday.
Not to take the shine off what was a superb effort and acknowledging the fact that on this wicket to score so much everyone needs a fair slice of luck' date=' Yuvraj did get his fair slice but to his credit capitalized on it. A plumb leg before, a dropped catch and a missed stumping coupled with some very uneasy moments [/quote'] Wow, you really have something against Yuvraj Singh, don't you ? Quit posting these biased arguments man, they are so boring. Tendulkar looked just as scratchy at the beginning. He was struggling to get bat on ball against Flintoff at first - the ball narrowly beat his bat outside off-stump about three times. There was that big chance when he prodded forward to silly point but luckily Cook was standing up and in no position to catch a ball which hit his ankle. He also survived a very close lbw shout from Harmison. He could have been a goner before he even reached 50. Why don't you begrudge Tendulkar his hundred too ? Yawn. The fact is, batsmen can never play 100% chanceless innings on these worn out 5th day pitches, it just doesn't happen. Yuvraj also had the disadvantage of batting left handed on the more scuffed up side of the crease, and the ball was kicking off that rough like crazy.
The fact is, batsmen can never play 100% chanceless innings on these worn out 5th day pitches, it just doesn't happen. Yuvraj also had the disadvantage of batting left handed on the more scuffed up side of the crease, and the ball was kicking off that rough like crazy.
Perhaps you missed this part of my post :
Not to take the shine off what was a superb effort and acknowledging the fact that on this wicket to score so much everyone needs a fair slice of luck, Yuvraj did get his fair slice but to his credit capitalized on it.
Surprising though, given that you quoted it. And where am I begrudging Yuvraj his innings? It was a superb innings which cleared off a lot of cobwebs from my mind about his temperament, which if you read above is huge to success in tests. I still have my doubts over his technique. Now just because I have my doubts over his technique makes me have something against Yuvraj? Come on, reading too many whiney posts, are you?:winky: