"Switch-hit"

Lord

to be frank, i think it's a very very useless controversy which is being created for this switch shot. it's an art and makes the game interesting.. a good add on to the game. which makes the bowler do more things and results in more thinking and more brain work being implemented.
No, its not a useless controversy. The rules in cricket come to a blind spot here. Unless the question of LBW (ball pitching outside the leg stump) is taken care of, this is a question worth asking.

I think the problem is with the rules ... to me ... if a batsman takes guard as a right hander then all the wides and lbw laws should be for a right hander ... now as the bowler is running in ... if he decides to change to a leftie ... the smartest thing for the bowler to do is to fire it down off side for a right hander (or fire in a yorker) ... if the bowlers cant do this then its their fault (and this is coming from a bowler himself) ... pietersen usually changes his stance well before the bowler is in his action so if the bowler decides to bowl leg side for a right hander (where there is less protection) its his fault.

I am waiting for the other switch hit...where you flip the bat around grabbing it by the base and use the handle to cue the ball (like in billiards) for six. Now that would be even more entertaining....and that should be legal too. No restrictions on creativity. How about the reverse drive/row shot i.e. flip the hands on the bat around so that the thumbs point upward and drive the ball (like a canoe) past (along the ground) or over the keeper (lofted version) Or another verison is not to use the surface of the blade at all...just make sure the bat is connected to your glove and punch the ball with the gloves over slips or the keeper. (one handed with thumb pointed upwards on grip is best for this shot) A get out of jail way of getting runs for the team without taking any risks of getting out is to head the ball (with or without helmet) soccer style over the slips or keeper (make sure to drop your hands) I have more ideas...want to hear them? :D Anyone see Ryan Campbell's shovel shot played? Dangerous, because you can shovel it into your face...but deadly effective if you can get it away.

I am waiting for the other switch hit...where you flip the bat around grabbing it by the base and use the handle to cue the ball (like in billiards) for six. Now that would be even more entertaining....and that should be legal too. No restrictions on creativity. How about the reverse drive/row shot i.e. flip the hands on the bat around so that the thumbs point upward and drive the ball (like a canoe) past (along the ground) or over the keeper (lofted version) Or another verison is not to use the surface of the blade at all...just make sure it's connected to your glove and punch the ball with the gloves over slips or the keeper. A get out of jail way of getting runs for the without taking any risks of getting out is to head the ball (with or without helmet) soccer style over the slips or keeper (make sure to drop your hands) I have more ideas...want to hear them? :D Anyone see Ryan Campbell's shovel shot played? Dangerous, because you can shovel it into your face...but deadly effective if you can get it away.
:hysterical:
I am waiting for the other switch hit...where you flip the bat around grabbing it by the base and use the handle to cue the ball (like in billiards) for six. Now that would be even more entertaining....and that should be legal too. No restrictions on creativity. How about the reverse drive/row shot i.e. flip the hands on the bat around so that the thumbs point upward and drive the ball (like a canoe) past (along the ground) or over the keeper (lofted version) Or another verison is not to use the surface of the blade at all...just make sure the bat is connected to your glove and punch the ball with the gloves over slips or the keeper. (one handed with thumb pointed upwards on grip is best for this shot) A get out of jail way of getting runs for the team without taking any risks of getting out is to head the ball (with or without helmet) soccer style over the slips or keeper (make sure to drop your hands) I have more ideas...want to hear them? :D Anyone see Ryan Campbell's shovel shot played? Dangerous, because you can shovel it into your face...but deadly effective if you can get it away.
The canoe shot.. isnt that like the fine paddle sweep that Dhoni plays. As for using the gloves, doesnt that count as handling the ball? I'd like to see the person brave enough to head Lee/Shoaib/Steyn's bouncer when he has a bat in his hand...
The canoe shot.. isnt that like the fine paddle sweep that Dhoni plays.
Nope. Thumbs facing the blade when gripping the bat and playing to the leg side the way Dhoni plays. Canoe needs a switcheroo and 180 degree blade spin...thumbs facing away from blade and played through slips or past keeper.
As for using the gloves, doesnt that count as handling the ball?
Not if connected to bat...that's why you hold the bat in one hand with thumb (the upright thumb yeah) facing away from blade and punch away (orthodox technique...there are variations)
I'd like to see the person brave enough to head Lee/Shoaib/Steyn's bouncer when he has a bat in his hand...
If you practice it, the glancing header is a good one with a helmet on...if you are a master, you can even try without a helmet. Novices sometime try this not as a glancing header but a full on "head behind the line of the ball" forward thrust header (like a straight drive using the head) or diving header....can be fatal. But thems the breaks if you want to get funky. p.s. For any underage clowns out there who might read this and fancy trying any of these shots, please be advised that you may die at the first attempt. I am, of course, joking young fellas...these are joke shots (especially the header)...so don't do anything stupid.
Nope. Thumbs facing the blade when gripping the bat and playing to the leg side the way Dhoni plays. Canoe needs a switcheroo...thumbs facing away from balde and played through slips or past keeper. Not if connected to bat...that's why you hold the bat in one hand with thumbs facing away from blade and punch away (orthodox technique...there are variations)
If you do the switcheroo, isnt it much much harder to connect with the ball? Almost impossible, because then your bat speed has to be greater than the speed the ball is travelling to the keeper. (assuming the bat goes from down to up.) As for handling, I dont think you hold the bat in one hand and punch the ball away with the other, that seems like handling to me.. and i dont think you can hold the bat in your hand and punch the ball away using that same hand.. impossible to do
If you do the switcheroo, isnt it much much harder to connect with the ball? Almost impossible, because then your bat speed has to be greater than the speed the ball is travelling to the keeper. (assuming the bat goes from down to up.) As for handling, I dont think you hold the bat in one hand and punch the ball away with the other, that seems like handling to me.. and i dont think you can hold the bat in your hand and punch the ball away using that same hand.. impossible to do
Hmmmm....you're a difficult student. Firstly...you punch with the hand connected to the bat...the bat comes along for the ride. It's better to use light bats when using this shot...ask for a bat change and use one ounce featherwieght bat. (balsa wood is good) Now with the switcheroo canoe...that my friend, is an art. You spin the bat throwing it forward and rotating it upward and spinning it along it's axis...while releasing your grip and then you spin your wrists around to grab the bat again when it's is 180 spun and you wrists 180 spun and the bat is at an angle of about 60 - 75 - 90 (low-medium-high forward lift) to the horizontal, pointing towards the bowler (a bit like a pole vaulter just before he digs the pole in but with wrists crossed oppositely)l...then you thrust forward and pull back and down on the bat...you generate tremendous reverse bat speed on the reverse pull...it's one of the most difficult shots in the book. If you connect well, it will blast through the slips or the wicketkeepers glove with and added 60kph to the delivery speed...phenomenal shot! Nothing can stop it! You will flatten the entire cordon and wicketkeeper like short leg fielders flinch to the sweep well connected. Lovely to watch! So far, I am the only one who can play it. But I am still waiting to make my debut in Test cricket. Been years now. But I am not giving up. I am good at the header too.