The official dethroning and passing of the baton....

......happened yesterday. South Africa are the number 1 test side in the world and Australia are left to fight it out with India for the runner up spot. Yesterday's efforts by Duminy and Steyn were the equivalent of Waugh brothers dethroning West Indies in 1995 at Kingston after being reduced to 73/3. A double century by Steve, laced with 17 fours, 1 six, and 20 body blows at the West Indian stronghold and a silky century by Mark might have had more aesthetic value and folklore to it than yesterday's dogfight by Duminy and Steyn, but the effect has been the same. That series and test match marked the unofficial passing of the baton to Australia as the best test team and this Melbourne test and series will ensure South Africa are the best team in the world. Given the way how the series has oscillated, it might be a bit premature but I have little doubt South Africa are going to wrap up this match some time on the fifth day to take the series. Australia are a battered unit and a bowler short. South Africa will fancy even a target of 275 on the last day. Ricky Ponting might keep on referring to the official ICC rankings, but the damage has been done. The Australian team is riddled with so many questions, it's difficult to even start.......a floundering aging opener, a clueless captain, an allrounder who does not bowl, a spearhead who is neither a spear and has lost his head, and a spin department where they would be the only side in the world willing to exchange a player with Bangladesh. But those are probably questions for a different day and time, for now it's time to congratulate South Africa and pay a bit of a tribute to greats like McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, and Waugh who made the last 15 years their very own and raised the standards to a level where none of the upcoming players appear capable of taking Australia.

......happened yesterday. South Africa are the number 1 test side in the world and Australia are left to fight it out with India for the runner up spot. Yesterday's efforts by Duminy and Steyn were the equivalent of Waugh brothers dethroning West Indies in 1995 at Kingston after being reduced to 73/3. A double century by Steve, laced with 17 fours, 1 six, and 20 body blows at the West Indian stronghold and a silky century by Mark might have had more aesthetic value and folklore to it than yesterday's dogfight by Duminy and Steyn, but the effect has been the same. That series and test match marked the unofficial passing of the baton to Australia as the best test team and this Melbourne test and series will ensure South Africa are the best team in the world. Given the way how the series has oscillated, it might be a bit premature but I have little doubt South Africa are going to wrap up this match some time on the fifth day to take the series. Australia are a battered unit and a bowler short. South Africa will fancy even a target of 275 on the last day. Ricky Ponting might keep on referring to the official ICC rankings, but the damage has been done. The Australian team is riddled with so many questions, it's difficult to even start.......a floundering aging opener, a clueless captain, an allrounder who does not bowl, a spearhead who is neither a spear and has lost his head, and a spin department where they would be the only side in the world willing to exchange a player with Bangladesh. But those are probably questions for a different day and time, for now it's time to congratulate South Africa and pay a bit of a tribute to greats like McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, and Waugh who made the last 15 years their very own and raised the standards to a level where none of the upcoming players appear capable of taking Australia.
I sure hope you are right (I've had enough of having Aus as the #1 team) - but it maybe a bit premature like you yourself have stated. Lets see how it pans out.

Absolutely Prof. SA are an emerging powerhouse in Test cricket. They have a fantastic team, one that will stay at the top for a long time. However I dont think they will be a dominant top team. That said, I think the Aussies may end up saving this test, as the wicket is still good to bat on. Form of their batsmen & leadership not withstanding, the real issue for the Aussies is to put together a bowling attack that can take 20 wickets. The McWarne combo was bloody amazing. One can finally appreciate their true impact on Australia's decade long dominance now. But given the current state of the Aussie bowling attack, they would kill to have even some one of the calibre of Gillespie. Suddenly their perenial pipeline (of players) has dried up & the mighty has well & truly fallen. Its all good for cricket. For the first time in many years, we have four or five teams that look capable of beating each other. India, Australia, SA, England and Lanka all look competitive. SA certainly look the most potent out of this lot.

Absolutely Prof. SA are an emerging powerhouse in Test cricket. They have a fantastic team, one that will stay at the top for a long time. However I dont think they will be a dominant top team. That said, I think the Aussies may end up saving this test, as the wicket is still good to bat on. Form of their batsmen & leadership not withstanding, the real issue for the Aussies is to put together a bowling attack that can take 20 wickets. The McWarne combo was bloody amazing. One can finally appreciate their true impact on Australia's decade long dominance now. But given the current state of the Aussie bowling attack, they would kill to have even some one of the calibre of Gillespie. Suddenly their perenial pipeline (of players) has dried up & the mighty has well & truly fallen. Its all good for cricket. For the first time in many years, we have four or five teams that look capable of beating each other. India, Australia, SA, England and Lanka all look competitive. SA certainly look the most potent out of this lot.
They sure do. BTW ICF-ers - what about Siddle? Do you think Siddle is a good prospect? (I havent watched much of his bowling)
Absolutely Prof. SA are an emerging powerhouse in Test cricket. They have a fantastic team, one that will stay at the top for a long time. However I dont think they will be a dominant top team.
Yeah too early to make a call on whether they will be a dominant team, but when Australia beat WI in '95 there was acknowledgment that they are the best but not many would have said they would leave everyone so far behind. That transformation happened with the debut of Gilchrist and the 370 run chase at Hobart in '99, IMO. The biggest impediment to South Africa is lack of a spin bowler and there will be times they will be exposed because of that. Also, Ntini has maybe a couple of years left in his tank, so they'll need to replace him as well.
The McWarne combo was bloody amazing. One can finally appreciate their true impact on Australia's decade long dominance now. But given the current state of the Aussie bowling attack, they would kill to have even some one of the calibre of Gillespie. Suddenly their perenial pipeline (of players) has dried up & the mighty has well & truly fallen.
Absolutely. Gillespie lost out on the fame part because of constant injuries and having to bowl under the shadow of McGrath and Warne, but was a terrific bowler in his own right. And of course, Gilchrist.......Haddin doesn't come close.
That said, I think the Aussies may end up saving this test, as the wicket is still good to bat on. Form of their batsmen & leadership not withstanding, the real issue for the Aussies is to put together a bowling attack that can take 20 wickets.
True, they might still be able to save the test but my money is on South Africa winning it. Even if Australia bat 100 overs in the 3rd innings and score 330 odd runs.....that leaves South Africa a target of 260-270 in around 80 overs. The pitch has held up really well till now, though I must qualify that with the history of the MCG pitch which can crumble pretty abruptly at times. But either ways, it makes for a terrific couple of days of cricket coming up.
Dont forget to add bucknor and billy in that list .... who pitched in with timely contributions at very crutial stages. But for them the dethroning would have happened atleast a year ago. It was Indiya that neutered these umpires as well.
Actually Boss, now am beginning to believe in Dhondy's theory of the top dog syndrome (Though am not sure Bucknor wasnt biased). If you recall Aussies always seemed to get the rub of the green regardless of who officiated the game. With a stronger team, Aussies were able to create & cash in on even half chances and hence they were able to exploit umpiring vagaries more ruthlessly. Now they are unable to create that many chances & hence the umpiring luck seem to have deserted them

I'm very excited about this. The SAs have a magnum pace bowling line-up with decent spin option in Harris. Their batting has just got stronger. I'm not sure how long Boucher will last though, who I believe is an integral part of their team. Drawing parallels, I would opine that we are lacking in the third seamer position. Munaf has been decent in ODIs, although I'm not sure abt his temparament in the longer form. Sreesanth was a brilliant option, but that is dead and buried now. I want to, but am a little apprehensive about aspiring on Irfan Pathan. He has had a good domestic season and he was the MoM at Perth. Plus, that old swing seemed to be back in those Eng ODIs. He is a definite started in the NZ tests, but would they play with just one spinner? Also, our middle order looks a little flimsy if we get to swinging conditions. I lost all hopes on Raina. He has had an excellent comeback, but true fast bowling flabbergasts him. Of course, I'm talking about the Dravid slot. Right now, it seems it is between Vijay and Badri. I won't be surprised if someone else pips them both. Meanwhile, any chance of cloning Sehwag?

That said, I think the Aussies may end up saving this test, as the wicket is still good to bat on. Form of their batsmen & leadership not withstanding, the real issue for the Aussies is to put together a bowling attack that can take 20 wickets.
ah, the sagacity of Zaheer! :giggle:

Let's reflect a bit on the Aussie reign that's coming to an end. Which do you think were the highlights, the ones that people will look back on in many years time, nod their heads sagely like Observer, and say, "You know, I never saw it coming when they were playing like that?" I have short listed four highlights, enough to give cricket buffs vertigo. 1. The 5-0 home and away drubbing of a very strong South African side in 2005-6 2. A consummate 3-0 demolition of SL in Murali's backyard in 2004 3. The last frontier- India conquered 2-1 in 2004 4. The padosigate- absolute defrocking of a Pakistan, boasting the phaaaastest bowler in the world at Sharjah/Columbo in 2002, 3-0 (ah, sweet sweet memories...). Indian fans may fondly pick number 4 as Australia's greatest achievement, but I'd have to go for the entry at 2. To conquer SL in their backyard, with Murali in their ranks is an impossible task,, as India will testify, but to do it three out of three, coming from behind, is nothing short of superhuman. This is the act that SA must follow. Easy as taking candy from a child, innit? My most awaited series therefore? South Africa taking on SL in their backyard, negotiating the skills of a Murali and Mendis. Last time they came up short- just a hair's breath from drawing the series. I am not a betting man, and I have every intention of keeping the few quid I have in my pocket for that one.

^ In addition to the series scorelines and successes you have pointed out, here would be a list of some of the most memorable individual performances during the Aussie reign : 1. Warne's 40 wicket haul during the 2005 Ashes after McGrath's slip.......kept them alive in the series till the last day(Australia lost both matches McGrath did not play). 2. McGrath and Gillespie's bowling during the 2004 India series........completely negated the Dravid-Laxman combination. 3. Steve Waugh's hobbling hundred at the Oval in 2001.......can a single innings encapsulate so much about an individual and team attitude? 4. Gilchrist's murder of Pakistan in 1999 at Hobart chasing 370.........test cricket would never be the same again. 5. Gilchrist's carnage against South Africa in 2005......one brutal innings after another. 6. Martyn and Lehman's mastery over Murali in 2004 in his backyard.......no one would consider Australia weak against spin henceforth. 7. McGrath wiping out Pakistan at Perth in 2005..........has a batting line up ever looked so inept? 8. Warne's single handed demolition of South Africa at Sydney in 1998. 9. And the ever memorable Hayden vs. Pakistan at Sharjah.....the greatest test match ever.

There was no top-dog syndrome. In that case SAF or India should've been getting rub of the green constantly. It was blatantly inept umpiring in most cases and they knew they could easily get away with it without use of much technology, distrust in whatever technology was available, ICC backing of all that BS. It would be ongoing still now, except ****nor as usual ****ed up big time and made a mockery of umpiring in Sydney. It's not like he didn't do that before, but it got the attention it deserved in Sydney. Since his firing, umpires are now more careful not to mess it up.

I wouldn't have been convinced if you said this a month ago but Saffies have dominated the Aussies in Australia for the first ever time. India trashed Aussies at home as well. Aussies can win against the likes of NZ, Pakistan, WI and Bangladesh without a sweat but can't take wins for granted against India and Saffies. They will beat England quite comfortably though. India and South Africa at the moment are the best test teams out there.

The fightback has been impressive but that's all it is - a fightback. Aus are 30 odd behind with 10 wkts in hand...hardly a losing position. South Africa's challenge will be to topple a weak Aus side at home - something India have done already to a significant extent. India's challange is to consistently defeat the 2nd tier sides home and away.