Sir Aggy BAWed

Incredible! This guy’s a freak in every sense of the word. His performances are even more amazing, considering spinners are getting mullered all over the world. Every spinner worth his salt has seen his average/SR rocket upwards in the last few years, except this guy. Having Ajantha Mendis in your side is like going into a arm-wrestling match with a ballistic missile. Doubt if there has EVER been a player who changes the odds of a match so much like Mendis has done. As far as I can recollect, the last time an individual player had such a transformational effect was Lance Klusener, between 1999-2000 or maybe Saqlain, when he first rolled out his Doosra.

Incredible! This guy’s a freak in every sense of the word. His performances are even more amazing, considering spinners are getting mullered all over the world. Every spinner worth his salt has seen his average/SR rocket upwards in the last few years, except this guy. Having Ajantha Mendis in your side is like going into a arm-wrestling match with a ballistic missile. Doubt if there has EVER been a player who changes the odds of a match so much like Mendis has done. As far as I can recollect, the last time an individual player had such a transformational effect was Lance Klusener, between 1999-2000 or maybe Saqlain, when he first rolled out his Doosra.
I showed my friend - a university-level baseball pitcher - a couple of YouTube videos of Mendis, and the fellow was in awe.
If we are talking about ODIs, he has only played India and Pak (2 matches ?) and minnows. Most Indian batsmen started reading him pretty well, which is well reflected in the ODI series victory. I still think he will be sorted out by most people and won't be that big of a force in ODIs atleast.
If we are talking about ODIs' date=' he has only played India and Pak (2 matches ?) and minnows. [b']Most Indian batsmen started reading him pretty well, which is well reflected in the ODI series victory. I still think he will be sorted out by most people and won't be that big of a force in ODIs atleast.
9-4-21-3 10-1-22-2 10-0-56-3 10-1-43-1 4.3-2-10-4 o-rly.jpg We won the ODI series because he could only BAW us for 10 overs.
If we are talking about ODIs' date=' he has only played India and Pak (2 matches ?) and minnows. Most Indian batsmen started reading him pretty well, which is well reflected in the ODI series victory. I still think he will be sorted out by most people and won't be that big of a force in ODIs atleast.[/quote'] If you’re going to call his 13 wickets in 5 matches at an average of 12 as evidence of Indian batsman ‘starting to read him pretty well’, then I would call it stretching the imagination a bit. And this was after we had three full test matches to have a good look at him. Bottom line, if any spin bowler can take 6 wickets for next to nothing against an Indian batting line-up in an ODI match, there has to be something really really special about him. 2009 may well be a watershed year for Mendis. He may probably become the first bowler ever to take 150 international wickets in a calendar year.
If we are talking about ODIs' date=' he has only played India and Pak (2 matches ?) and minnows. Most Indian batsmen started reading him pretty well, which is well reflected in the ODI series victory. I still think he will be sorted out by most people and won't be that big of a force in ODIs atleast.[/quote'] sort out what?.he bowls at various speeds and pretty straight.combine that with his dfferent kinds of deliveries and you have a once in a generation bowler. i have never seen batsmen misread the speed of the delivery as they do against mendis.that alone will get him a lot of wickets.
9-4-21-3 10-1-22-2 10-0-56-3 10-1-43-1 4.3-2-10-4 o-rly.jpg We won the ODI series because he could only BAW us for 10 overs.
Ya really. As always, devil lies in the details. Out of 13 wickets in the ODI series in SL: Yuvraj: 3 times. The only established batsmen not to read him well. Dhoni: 2 times. Once after he had scored 76. Bowlers including Pathan: 6 times Once Sharma and Badri each. So basically, as I said, most batsmen read him well enough. :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:
Ya really. As always, devil lies in the details. Out of 13 wickets in the ODI series in SL: Yuvraj: 3 times. The only established batsmen not to read him well. Dhoni: 2 times. Once after he had scored 76. Bowlers including Pathan: 6 times Once Sharma and Badri each. So basically, as I said, most batsmen read him well enough. :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:
7 top order wickets + 1 allrounder in 5 matches - sure we have him figured out. Do you realize how many bowlers even take 8 wickets in a 5 ODI series - the guy took 8 top order + all rounder wickets. That's 1.6 wickets/match. I don't think any bowler has that kind of a wickets/match ratio in his career counting all wickets - the guy took top order wickets at that ratio at a run rate of 3.3 or something