I can never be even half of what Tendulkar is: Sehwag

Feed

New Delhi: He once said in jest that the only difference between him and Sachin Tendulkar was in their bank balances, but Virender Sehwag, a trailblazer in his own way, said on Tuesday that as a batsman he can never be ?half of what the ... More... I can never be even half of what Tendulkar is: Sehwag 2009012160952101.jpgPLAINSPEAK: Virender Sehwag says he would be honoured to be known as Sachin Tendulkar’s disciple. New Delhi: He once said in jest that the only difference between him and Sachin Tendulkar was in their bank balances, but Virender Sehwag, a trailblazer in his own way, said on Tuesday that as a batsman he can never be “half of what the batting maestro is.” Very early in his career, Sehwag, whose height and body structure nearly makes him a Tendulkar look-alike when they are at the wicket, had said “the only difference between us is in our bank balance. I am nowhere near him.” In fact, Sehwag arguably the most daring batsman in world cricket today told PTI in an interview that he would be honoured if Tendulkar is viewed as his ‘guru.’ “I would be honoured if he is viewed as my guru and I as his shishya (disciple).” Excerpts: We all know Tendulkar is special to you, an icon you have been compared with throughout your career and about whom you once famously said ‘the only difference between us is in our bank balance.’ That quote was said in jest. Please don’t take that seriously. A Virender Sehwag can never even be half of what the batting maestro is. I am nowhere near him. I grew up watching and idolising him, his style, his shots I always tried to copy. The best I can be is to be his disciple. I would be honoured if he is viewed as my ‘guru’ and I as his ‘shishya.’ When you view Tendulkar, what’s the thing about him you wish you had? Everything. And it’s just not about his unique style of batting. It is his humility, his entire persona. I really feel his records will never be broken. For somebody to do it, he would not only need the talent and longevity but also a rare luck with injuries. And that still might not be enough! He started his career at the age of 15 plus. Somebody would have to start at 14 years! The equations you need to have in your favour to get past his 83 international centuries and nearly 30,000 runs (and still counting) are nearly impossible. A trait you seem to share with Tendulkar is being cool on the field. You never seem to lose your shirt in a heated battle in the middle? It’s a philosophy I have learnt from my parents. They have always emphasised: If somebody teases you, you reply with a smile or laugh. It would only irritate him further. Sure bowlers would have tried to rile you with their tongue over the years. A fiery fast bowler, say somebody like Shoaib Akhtar? Yes they do. I remember Shoaib Akhtar launching a verbal fusillade during my triple century in Pakistan. He kept bowling bouncers and taunting me: ‘Maar. Himmat hai to ise maar’ (if you have courage hit these bouncers) or ‘tu sirf third man par hi shot mar sakta hai’ (you can only hit in the third man area). I kept telling him: ‘Yeh tu mere non-striker saathi ko bowl kar ke dekh (You try bowling to my non-striker partner). My partner at that stage was Tendulkar. I, on my part, kept telling Shoaib: “How come I am scoring runs at third man even when you have a fielder in that region? And when I hit him straight down the ground, I told him this wasn’t a shot square of the wicket! It was Tendulkar who guided India to its biggest ever chase on home soil — a target of 387 against England in Chennai — a few weeks ago. But you set up the win on the fourth evening with a blistering 83 off 69 balls. Did you plan that innings? On the contrary, I didn’t want to hit those fours. I kept telling Gautam (Gambhir) that I wouldn’t hit fours. But they kept bowling short and I kept square-cutting. And they all were fours. Out of the first eight fours, six were from square-cuts. Gautam just told me to bat as I normally do. But I really didn’t want to hit fours on the fourth evening! Eventually we finished the day on 133 for one and the platform for a win was firmly established.

Sehwag is a gem. He would have made a fantastic captain too, because not only is he a star performer( so he leads by example), he's totally unselfish (so he can demand more from his players) and he has seen the highs and lows of international cricket (so he will understand better if a player is going through some rough times). But we have MSD, who's even better. Our team is blessed to have guys like these.

I hum songs till bowler is about to bowl: Sehwag

New Delhi: He does not lose sleep before a match, he does not worry about the pitch -- Virender Sehwag just hums Sai Baba bhajans and Kishore Kumar songs till the bowler is about to deliver the ball. Here is the dashing opener's simple formula for success in his own words : "I want my mind to be absolutely free while facing up to a bowler. I try to hum songs, Sai Baba bhajans and Kishore Kumar songs, especially those pictured on Amitabh Bachchan till the bowler is about to deliver. "I then tell myself: watch it. I try to sing songs as perfectly as possible in order to keep my mind completely uncluttered," he said in an interview here. Excerpts from an interview: Q: When you look back, do you fret about why you went for a six when you were on 294 in Multan? A: I never look back. I have never looked back on that innings. What is gone is gone, it's over. Q: Surely a triple century ought to mean something. Not one but 2 triple centuries? A: They don't. Surely not as much as winning a match for your team. All of us play to win. Nothing is more thrilling than winning a match for your team. Q: What is the most important aspect of your batting? A: For me, the most important part of batting is my still head. I try touching my helmet with my left shoulder to keep it still. Once Sunil Gavaskar asked me to take middle or off-stump guard. And I think it has suited me. With a leg stump guard, you could be chasing a wide delivery. Or leaving a gap. With a middle-and-off stump guard, the bowler doesn't know where to pitch his stuff. If it is in stumps, you could whip it to onside. If it's outside the off-stump, he is allowing you to play your favourite shots. I always take middle stump guard. Q: Like Tendulkar who doesn't sleep before a Test match, do you also worry about bowlers and conditions and pitch? A: I don't. I do have an idea on whom to treat with respect and who to go after. It would surprise most to know that I never look at the wicket. Never. I don't worry about whether the pitch has grass or moisture or is flat. When I captained in South Africa (when Rahul Dravid was injured in the one-day series in 2006-2007), I looked at the wicket in the first match but not thereafter. Q: It has been said that don't give room to Sehwag; tuck him up; don't allow him free swing; post fielders at third man and sweeper cover and bowl bouncers and you would get him. But after 66 Tests and 15 centuries, they are still trying! A: I never hook. Only recently I tried it against James Anderson and Andrew Flintoff but it was because I saw it pretty early and knew how to keep it down. The thing is, it's impossible for a bowler to bowl six deliveries in an over which rise to chest-high. The moment a bowler errs, I pounce on him. Q: Taking quick singles is an important part of your batting style? A: The thing is, I am exceptionally aware about the nuances of the game. I know what's happening, who is where and how to take advantage of him in the field. Q: Even the likes of Ajantha Mendis couldn't worry you? A: I studied him during the Asia Cup in Pakistan. Even at non-striker's end, I kept following his methods. His style when he is bowling off-spin, googly, or pushing it through middle finger. So I have no problem in attacking him. A bowler is demoralised if he knows that a batsman has read him completely. Besides, a bowler like him keeps three of four fielders close to bat. It means there are open spaces in the field. Even a mishit can give you boundaries. Q: You don't mind hitting against the spin. Like you did to Muthiah Muralitharan over covers? A: Unlike the accepted norm, I find hitting against the spin more profitable. It allows one to free one's arms. Q: Eleven consecutive scores of over 150? Sure such long innings must be a big ask on your forearms and legs? A: I follow a very strict regimen of fitness. Q: You feel India could be ruling the world by 2010. But we no longer have Anil Kumble? A: Kumble was in a league of his own. It's impossible to get a bowler like him. In his absence, Harbhajan Singh is our frontline spinner. On foreign pitches, it would be three pacers and Harbhajan. So there would be added responsibility on him. He is now sufficiently experienced and one hopes he would rise to the occasion.
http://cricketnext.in.com/news/i-hum-songs-till-bowler-is-about-to-bowl-sehwag/37617-14-1.html

Sachin and Sehwag are completely two different characters not only in their batting sense but Veeru's ability of being frank whenever the questions are thrown at. Sehwag not for even one second think about what will other people's reaction be to what he has to say or said. Whereas SRT has been (or at least tried to) PC on most of the occasions. Only trait of veeru that can be drawn parallel with SRT is being humble despite achieving some rare milestones in his career. Well you can always argue about what milestone has SRT achieved for India, but that can be kept for some other thread :giggle:

One unique thing about Viru is that he is loved equally by everyone. I have seen conflicts between dada fans' date=' Sachin fans and Dravid fans........but I have never seen a conflict between someone's fans and Viru fans....that's because he is a common favorite to everyone.[/quote'] thats because he is so honest,is genuinely modest n has a simple n positive approach.n hes a complete team man. add to that a terrific batsman