90s India v Current Team

Gambit

Forget about comparing the current ODI team to the Indian ODI team of the 90s, we should start comparing this team to some of the best ever ODI outfits there have ever been. I strongly believe this team can really go places. Its obvious from the results. We just hammered English that had just defeated South Africa 4-0, 5-0. We would have probably won 7-0, but for the Mumbai attacks. This series, we've just stream-rolled an in-form lankan team. In my mind atleast, there's no doubt that we're the BEST ODI outfit out there. Our only missing link is that we lack a pace-bowling all-rounder in the likes of James Hopes or Albie Morkel. But still, our batting is so powerful that we can compensate for that. Just consider this, in the last 15 months, Sachin Tendulkar and Gautam Gambhir have been our most prolific batsman but in this series, they have been muted and yet, we've won comfortably. And today, we saw the real gulf between India and Lanka. Gary Kirsten wasnt kidding when he said this team can win even playing at 60%.

I think the biggest difference is Sehwag/Dravid and Dhoni/Mongia.....Dravid was not much of an ODI player for the first few seasons of his career and Sehwag is in absolutely murderous form. Dhoni and Mongia isn't much of a comparison as far as batting goes. Srinath and Zaheer would be at par, Ishant is much better than Prasad, Kumble of the 90s was much better than Harbhajan, and the current side has the edge on the 4th bowling option. The side of the 90s had a Tendulkar which is equivalent to 2 batsmen from the current lot and a Ganguly who was as good as any from the present team. Azhar and Jadeja were really good ODI players as well. The current side is better, but the side of the 90s also won quite a lot. On paper Ganguly's side would also be better than the side of the 90s but it was Azhar who racked up the trophies rather than Ganguly, so the proof will be in the pudding.

Forget about comparing the current ODI team to the Indian ODI team of the 90s, we should start comparing this team to some of the best ever ODI outfits there have ever been.
In subcontinental conditions, yes, that would make sense. This team has put up 387 and 364 against two respectable sides. Most countries can't manage to do that against minnows, let alone good test playing nations.

I am surprised that no one is really talking about the biggest difference is our fielding standard now vs then. We are much much ....muuuch better fileding side. They were giving away 20-25 runs in every game where avg scores were 240-50s. Now we save lot more runs in slightly high scoring games 280+. And nother vital aspect should be the pitches.... The pitches back then were very sporting ....against these PATTAs where any T-D-H comes and scores 60 odd runs in 40 balls. Or else it is hard to believe that those batsmen in 90s could hardly go beyond 260 runs in 50 overs and now these guys go past 350. We had Tendulkars, Laras, Gangulys and M and S Waughs back then. If we send these guys to play on those pitches in Eng, SA, NZ and Aus.... these guys wont even last 50 overs... I have seen Yuv, Dhoni play in those conditions...not too long ago... anyone needs links????

I think the biggest difference is Sehwag/Dravid and Dhoni/Mongia.....Dravid was not much of an ODI player for the first few seasons of his career and Sehwag is in absolutely murderous form. Dhoni and Mongia isn't much of a comparison as far as batting goes. Srinath and Zaheer would be at par, Ishant is much better than Prasad, Kumble of the 90s was much better than Harbhajan, and the current side has the edge on the 4th bowling option. The side of the 90s had a Tendulkar which is equivalent to 2 batsmen from the current lot and a Ganguly who was as good as any from the present team. Azhar and Jadeja were really good ODI players as well. The current side is better, but the side of the 90s also won quite a lot. On paper Ganguly's side would also be better than the side of the 90s but it was Azhar who racked up the trophies rather than Ganguly, so the proof will be in the pudding.
Not just that, our entire team has undergone a fundamental change, in all three departments of the game. In the batting side, we have match-winners from 1 through 7. I don’t think we’ve ever had that luxury before. And not only is our batting deeper, its also more power-packed. In this team, almost every batsman has the capability to score at a SR of 100+. If anything, only Sachin is the lonely, traditionalist, rely on timing+placement sorta batsman. And he still has a career SR of 86. Compare this to the Manjrekar’s of the Azhar era or the Dravids of the Ganguly’s times. Our fielding has undergone a transformational change too and a lot of that is due to the youth-only policy.
In subcontinental conditions, yes, that would make sense. This team has put up 387 and 364 against two respectable sides. Most countries can't manage to do that against minnows, let alone good test playing nations.
I slightly disagree. This team is equipped to do well in most conditions, mainly due to the versatility and the class of our batting. As you’ve pointed out before, only slightly dicey conditions, we have Sachin to prop ourselves at the top, while the rest aren’t too bad either. If anything, one of the main reasons why I want Rohit to replace Raina is because I think Rohit has a better technique than Raina to score in bouncier conditions. But if you look at the balance of our team, its all got the raw-materials to do well anywhere. You can EASILY rank Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma in the top 7-8 pacers of the world today. And depending on the conditions, the choice of either Praveen Kumar, Munaf Patel or Pathan isn’t the worst 3rd seamer one could ever have. So, we have the fast bowling aspects covered. Then, we have Bhajji (once he’s back), one of the BEST containing spin bowlers in the world today, backed up by Yusuf and a host of other spin options. So, seaming pitch or a slow pitch, we have most bases covered. Beyond all, most of our players have excellent temperament and are in the right age-range to deliver maximum potential. I think this team has a lot more to give than what it is currently doing now and we’re just getting started.
I slightly disagree. This team is equipped to do well in most conditions' date=' mainly due to the versatility and the class of our batting. .[/quote'] We don't know that yet. Let's see if this team can do the business in NZ. Then i'll be convinced. NZ is the kind of the team India aren't really used to playing. Even guys like Dhoni and Yuvraj have hardly played any matches against these guys. They have bowlers like Southee who can swing the ball really well. India hasn't faced this kind of opposition in a while, but teams like Sri Lanka, or even England, are teams that India know really well and are more comfortable against. Playing an alien team like NZ in their own backyard is going to be difficult simply because of the lack of familiarity. But if India manage to hit 350+ scores in NZ (other teams have done it there in the past) then we'll know that this batting lineup is the best in the world. I totally agree with your point on the bowling attack though. Ishant, Zaheer and Praveen will win the series for India, mark my words.
We don't know that yet. Let's see if this team can do the business in NZ. Then i'll be convinced. NZ is the kind of the team India aren't really used to playing. Even guys like Dhoni and Yuvraj have hardly played any matches against these guys. They have bowlers like Southee who can swing the ball really well. India hasn't faced this kind of opposition in a while, but teams like Sri Lanka, or even England, are teams that India know really well and are more comfortable against. Playing an alien team like NZ in their own backyard is going to be difficult simply because of the lack of familiarity. But if India manage to hit 350+ scores in NZ (other teams have done it there in the past) then we'll know that this batting lineup is the best in the world. I totally agree with your point on the bowling attack though. Ishant, Zaheer and Praveen will win the series for India, mark my words.
What about Australia? Didn’t we win the CB series there early last year? And the T20 WC win in South Africa in 2007? So, we’ve won in the sluggish pitches of Asia and the hard, bouncy ones of Australia and South Africa. I understand what you’re saying about how some of our batsman maybe suspect against swing bowling, but I am also sure if there was ever situation where our batting got bowled out for 180 in NZ, then our bowling is good enough to knock them over for 150. Bottom line, whatever conditions that are thrown up against us, we’ve got the tools to counter them.
I am surprised that no one is really talking about the biggest difference is our fielding standard now vs then. We are much much ....muuuch better fileding side. They were giving away 20-25 runs in every game where avg scores were 240-50s. Now we save lot more runs in slightly high scoring games 280+. And nother vital aspect should be the pitches.... The pitches back then were very sporting ....against these PATTAs where any T-D-H comes and scores 60 odd runs in 40 balls. Or else it is hard to believe that those batsmen in 90s could hardly go beyond 260 runs in 50 overs and now these guys go past 350. We had Tendulkars, Laras, Gangulys and M and S Waughs back then. If we send these guys to play on those pitches in Eng, SA, NZ and Aus.... these guys wont even last 50 overs... I have seen Yuv, Dhoni play in those conditions...not too long ago... anyone needs links????
Dhoni averages 44 in Australia. Yuvi has scored a 100 in Aus before, and averages 41 in England. His last time in England, he scores read: 0,49,45,71,72,18,28 in 6 matches he batted. So I don't know what you are blabbering about. They both sucked in SA before, but both have matured somewhat since that time. I am not saying they are the best, but saying they are T-D-H or FTBs is bullshit.

Well... my point is that we all know why Yuvi never made it to Test cricket.....On good pitches he WAS a walking wkt....Now he look matured...but rating him and dhoni above Gangu, Azar and Dravid... is simply blind... Comparing two different ERAs need very complex analysis... you just cant judge them based on today's avg on flat tracks... even in Aus the tracks are getting flatter... only NZ, SA and couple in ENG/Aus are best tracks left in the entire world... rest are all very flat wickets...

Comparing two different ERAs need very complex analysis... you just cant judge them based on today's avg on flat tracks... even in Aus the tracks are getting flatter... only NZ' date=' SA and couple in ENG/Aus are best tracks left in the entire world... rest are all very flat wickets...[/quote'] SA is the only place on earth where 435 has been scored twice in the same match...and subcontinental pitches are supposed to be the flat ones...hahahah Everything you are saying is just the usual cliched, stereotypical stuff.
Well... my point is that we all know why Yuvi never made it to Test cricket.....On good pitches he WAS a walking wkt....Now he look matured...but rating him and dhoni above Gangu, Azar and Dravid... is simply blind... Comparing two different ERAs need very complex analysis... you just cant judge them based on today's avg on flat tracks... even in Aus the tracks are getting flatter... only NZ, SA and couple in ENG/Aus are best tracks left in the entire world... rest are all very flat wickets...
Are you saying we NEVER played on flat tracks in 90s ? I am sure we had lots of pattas at time, didn't see many 300 scores. The whole mentality and approach has changed, and thats why this team is lethal. Look at England, their batsmen even NOW play with the approach Indians(and most other teams) had in 90s. People like Cook,Bell,Vaughan are/were such ****in misfits because they cannot simply adapt to ODIs. And thats why English ODI team sucks so bad.
Are you saying we NEVER played on flat tracks in 90s ? I am sure we had lots of pattas at time' date=' didn't see many 300 scores. The whole mentality and approach has changed, and thats why this team is lethal. Look at England, their batsmen even NOW play with the approach Indians(and most other teams) had in 90s. People like Cook,Bell,Vaughan are/were such ****in misfits because they cannot simply adapt to ODIs. And thats why English ODI team sucks so bad.[/quote'] I agree, the mentality is different nowadays especially with the introduction of T20 Players nowadays back themselves and look to attack from the onset Also things like powerplays
Are you saying we NEVER played on flat tracks in 90s ? I am sure we had lots of pattas at time' date=' didn't see many 300 scores. The whole mentality and approach has changed, and thats why this team is lethal. Look at England, their batsmen even NOW play with the approach Indians(and most other teams) had in 90s. People like Cook,Bell,Vaughan are/were such ****in misfits because they cannot simply adapt to ODIs. And thats why English ODI team sucks so bad.[/quote'] How many games you can count in those days where teams have scored more than 300 runs??? I think this will asnwer you better.... Does that mean there wen;t weak teams back then?

powerplay changes, "free hit" etc also are recent phenomenon contributing to some extra runs. Not to mention T20 is having a big impact in mentality. I feel the current team can beat the team of the 90s. NZ tour will be a good test for the youthful ODI squad (and our Test squad has a point to prove in NZ as well). Hope the batsmen can adapt to NZ pitches and quality fast-medium bowling. Will be interesting to watch Dhoni, Yuvi, Raina, Rohit...against NZ pacers and Vettori also. Vettori is no Mendis/Murali, but he is a cunning bowler.

I agree with the sentiment that NZ is a big series, more so for the conditions and opposition with medium pacers and swing bowlers. Plz don't take offence, but India 90s team was awful. The team was nowhere near as good as Aus, SA, Pak, SL, NZ. This current team is the best in the world, please don't try compare lol