Squad for NZ tour announced

Gambit

Marirs, I'll challenge you to show me one good knock of Badri against quality bowlers, be it for TN, or India A or BP XI.
That’s a very incomplete approach Chandan. You don’t relegate a player based on a few failures, just like how you don’t select him based on a few successes. Badri has made tons of runs in matches where other India bats have failed. Dravid has multiple failures turning up for South Zone this season, while Badri was making 100 after 100 in the same matches. So, what happens to your logic now? Will you argue that Dravid gets lucky when they play for India alone? You don’t average 58 in FC cricket without stuff. Even if you’re overrated, you deserve a chance purely on the basis of the weight of FC performances. Badri deserves to be selected and given a fair run. If he fails to deliver, we can always move past him.

too much quota-system in selection again. rohit sharma despite repeated failures still makes the team whereas players like dhawan, kohli, pujara & rahane get left out. lot of ppl on cricinfo r :mad: at rohit sharmas selection. read the comments there

That’s a very incomplete approach Chandan. You don’t relegate a player based on a few failures, just like how you don’t select him based on a few successes. Badri has made tons of runs in matches where other India bats have failed. Dravid has multiple failures turning up for South Zone this season, while Badri was making 100 after 100 in the same matches. So, what happens to your logic now? Will you argue that Dravid gets lucky when they play for India alone? You don’t average 58 in FC cricket without stuff. Even if you’re overrated, you deserve a chance purely on the basis of the weight of FC performances. Badri deserves to be selected and given a fair run. If he fails to deliver, we can always move past him.
You do deserve it on the basis of domestic performance. But sadly the gulf is too wide between our domestic cricket and international cricket. Even the selectors know this. And that is why we see more and more selection on the basis of potential, some of whom succeed like a superstar while some fail miserably. Unfortunately, selectors can't take that chance with domestic bullys who fail in every match they get to face an international attack, however handful those instances might be.
Agree. Even I would like to see him in the test squad as a reseve batsman and #6 in ODIs he is just wasting himself. He is not those slam bang batsman right from the word go. And I can't forget his tons vs Australia and Ranji trophy final. He should have been a part of test team instead.
let's not take too much side of rohit by saying that there is no use of him coming at no. 6 in odi's. he has often been in situation where along with him some reliable batsman is batting and yet he has been guilty of playing poor shots which have resulted in India giving away another crucial wicket at a crucial juncture of the game. He has had enough opportunities where he was never asked to play those great brutal hitting shots. He was asked to just stand there and delivery and build partnerships, and he has failed in doing that. He has continously played like an immature batsman and hence i would rather see him continue domestic cricket then see him getting picked in test matches over any other player for that matter. Test slot is valuable. you can't just give it away to anyone.

Pathetic team selection. Sreesanth should have been in the test squad as 3rd seamer instead of dadaji and balaji.... WTF selectors are thinking??????? Sreesanth can't even find a place in t20 or ODIs as well??? and why the hell dinesh karthik has been selected in all three formats... cheeka's selection team gone mad :mad:

let's not take too much side of rohit by saying that there is no use of him coming at no. 6 in odi's. he has often got chance where along with him some reliable batsman is batting and yet he has been guilty of playing poor shots which have resulteed in India giving away another crucial wicket at a crucial juncture of the game. He has had enough opportunities where he was never asked to play those great brutal hitting shots. He was asked to just stand there and delivery and build partnerships, and he has failed in doing that. He has continously played like an immature batsman and hence i would rather see him continue domestic cricket then see him getting picked in test matches over any other player for that matter. Test slot is valuable. you can't just give it away to anyone.
i dont want rohit coming in at 6 at all especially away from the sub-continent.i have observed that rohit fails when he has to hit from the get go.if he has some time in the middle to adjust then he settles down and hits some gorgeous shots. his ideal spot in the odis is 5.in fact i would send him at 4 if we lose quick wickets. he played well at 5 in the cb finals.
i dont want rohit coming in at 6 at all especially away from the sub-continent.i have observed that rohit fails when he has to hit from the get go.if he has some time in the middle to adjust then he settles down and hits some gorgeous shots. his ideal spot in the odis is 5.in fact i would send him at 4 if we lose quick wickets. he played well at 5 in the cb finals.
Rohit doesn't deserve a place in our ODI team, period. First he has to learn how to rotate the strike in ODIs. He's like rahul dravid of 96-98 who used to struggle in the same way. Until he learns that basic thing which is essential in ODIs, he should be kept away from our ODI team as far as possible
Oh man' date=' is Sreesanth overlooked or is still under the injury cloud ? :mad: If he is under injury cloud, why don't the BCCI[u'] make sure that he gets the best possible treatment so that he can recover ASAP.
I think they did, but he wanted no part of it - he opted for Ayurveda. Looks like it has worked ... he did bowl fairly well in some domestic matches.

It's clear that Badrinath isn't rated by either the selectors or by senior members of the Indian team. And rightfully so. Good players will always find their way into the side and hold their place. Disappointed to see Praveen left out - i felt he could have been a very valuable player in the test series. I don't know if Dhawal is ready yet - but then again, i only saw him in the IPL so i have no clue how much he has improved. Bala was a real surprise pick - no clue how he made the squad.

For ODI series, we did not need a "full backup" Wicketkeeper. KKD could have gone for Test matches only. Why could they not get Robin Uthappam for ODIs - should the situation arise he can be backup keeper, and he seems to be in better form (battingwise). Or did MSD inform selectors of any niggle after the SL series, so they want to be extra careful since MSD may be a bit worried about keeping? Otherwise, I dont see why KKD needs to be there for T20/ODI where he is one dimensional.

Kulkarni seems a typical military medium bowler. Cannon fodder to the giants of international cricket. Of course have not seen him bowl but if reports are correct his military medium will get smoked. Give me sree any day. Yes been injured but is proven performer. Can be hostile with movement. Also picked another military medium guy in balaji, who was not even that good in his prime. Selectors have looked at volume of wickets instead of looking at what their class is and what they can do at top stage. Non selection of sree is a disgarce and is nothing about what can be done on pitch and seems more personal

I have no issues with Sree being not selected. He barely played 4 First Class matches(1 for Kerala, a couple for South Zone)..... When his injury happened nearly a year ago? Why didn't he play more matches(especially for Kerala). Same with RPS. Guy breaks down so often you wonder whether he's made of cotton. Are these guys serious about their fitness? They're talented, but if this doesn't light a fire up their a.s.s.e.s . I don't know what will.

I have no issues with Sree being not selected. He barely played 4 First Class matches(1 for Kerala, a couple for South Zone)..... When his injury happened nearly a year ago? Why didn't he play more matches(especially for Kerala). Same with RPS. Guy breaks down so often you wonder whether he's made of cotton. Are these guys serious about their fitness? They're talented, but if this doesn't light a fire up their a.s.s.e.s . I don't know what will.
ananth, you just don't discard talent like Sreesanth.....even Ishant and Zaheer have not done what he has done - completely decimated a batting line up in one spell. I don't give a damn about his bowling average in domestics, if the guy is fit he has to be in the squad in India and play all matches outside the subcontinent where we play 3 pace bowlers usually.

Shwetabh, I'm not saying pick Sree based on numbers. But does it appear that he wants to come back? To me it sounded pretty opportunistic of the guy not to show up for Kerala for every one of their Ranji games BUT THE LAST, get in the SZ team for the Duleeps.... I like Sreesanth for his talent. But I feel the guy is a bit full of himself and needed a dose of humility and this may well put him on that track..... This is definitely not the end of the road for him.