I'm taking this rather well!

Gambit

From that doomsday scenario to 20/20 win, CB series, Lanka dahan and closing in on #1. And of course, SRT is still there! PS - I am going to bump lots of threads which were made after our loss v SL in the 2007 world cup. Now that we are almost on top of the world, they make for fun reading :D
Premature. We were one of the favourites in that World cup for a good reason. We had been in insane form towards the end of 2005, and throughout 2006, pulverising teams like Lanka, Pak, and England on the way. If anything, we peaked too early in 2006, then hit that dip, and have only picked it up again since the series in Aus in early '08 (I'm just talking 50 overs here). We are in sh*t-hot form again, but history teaches us to not expect anything, and just enjoy what we do get. A number one ranking in ODIs will be nice, but nowhere near a millionth as nice as a World Cup win...
Premature. We were one of the favourites in that World cup for a good reason. We had been in insane form towards the end of 2005' date=' and throughout 2006, pulverising teams like Lanka, Pak, and England on the way. If anything, we peaked too early in 2006, then hit that dip, and have only picked it up again since the series in Aus in early '08 (I'm just talking 50 overs here). We are in sh*t-hot form again, but history teaches us to not expect anything, and just enjoy what we do get. A number one ranking in ODIs will be nice, but nowhere near a millionth as nice as a World Cup win...[/quote'] never understood "peaking too early" you either play cricket well or you don't. If your a good cricket side, you will play well consistently for atleast 5-6 years.
I was having the same thoughts....from that morose pic(sehwag' date='sachin looking shell shocked and biting nails at wc 2007 exit....)to 2009... those days look too far back now:dance:[/quote'] at 39 if oldies like sachin continue to be part of wc team then expect a 2007 repeat;

^ he will be 37 at WC '11. I don't know how I feel if Sachin was a part of the squad. I think it is too far away and his present form and fitness does not give an accurate indication at whether he would participate and if so, would be able to contribute at the highest level possible (i.e. maintain the same level of contribution that he has maintained over the past 2 years since the '07 debacle). I am optimistic but he's a better judge of himself.

^ Oh don't worry' date=' jf1gp_1, has been asking for Tendulkar to be dropped ever since he started posting on forums. BTW, how old was Jayasuriya when SL reached the finals a couple of years back?[/quote'] we have more or less done alright without him; sachin, gangu, dravid had no business being around ODI team after we were kicked out of 07 WC ; first tournament all 3 skipped we won.

Hrm. The only series of meaning that we've won away from home since '07, I think some noob hit a 117* in one of the finals and a 91 in the 2nd final. Oh yeah, noob = Tendulkar. We won a bilateral ODI series against Pakistan after 20+ years in 2007 - Sachin scored a 97 in the game that won us the series.

Hrm. The only series of meaning that we've won away from home since '07' date=' I think some noob hit a 117* in one of the finals and a 91 in the 2nd final. Oh yeah, noob = Tendulkar. We won a bilateral ODI series against Pakistan after 20+ years in 2007 - Sachin scored a 97 in the game that won us the series.[/quote'] Endulkar :two_thumbs_up: