Bucknor to retire from International Umpire soon

Steve Bucknor to retire from umpiring Cricinfo staff February 22, 2009 Steve Bucknor, the West Indian umpire, has decided to retire from umpiring at the international level in March. The third Test between South Africa and Australia in Cape Town from March 19 to 23 will be his last Test while the two upcoming ODIs between West Indies and England in Barbados on March 27 and 29 will be his last one-day international assignments. "I have notified the ICC that the South Africa versus Australia series will be my last Test series," Bucknor, 62, told the Jamaica Gleaner. "The third Test match in Cape Town will be my last Test match. "The body is feeling quite good and I know I could go on for another two or three years. However, something inside me is telling me that it is time to go." Bucknor was looking forward to help improve the standard of umpiring in the Caribbean after his retirement. "I hope I will be accorded the opportunity by the West Indies board to work with young umpires in the region because I still would like to continue making a contribution," he said. Bucknor, who began his international umpiring career in 1989, has officiated in a record 126 Tests. He has also stood in 179 ODIs, including five consecutive World Cup finals since 1992 - the most by any umpire. Bucknor has been on the ICC's elite panel since 2002. ********************************************************************************* Sydney Test :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Until? Even now, he does the job with the apparent eyesight, hearing and reflexes of a dead man.
My bad, I was more worried about the technical issues with slow raising of the finger. I suppose the wind can solve that by randomly blowing leaves off his grave, thus he can continue to do umpiring from beyond the grave. On a related note, ICC is rumored to have contacted Stevie Wonder and Andrea Bocelli to replace Mr. Bucknor, but of course we all know that the quality would never be the same.