Hughes is just pants against short pitch bowling

Not sure how he managed to score so many runs in the Aussie domestics, but Steyn and Morkel are making him look like a joker with the short pitched stuff. He might still score runs like Waugh and Ganguly ended up doing, but watching him bat right now against fast short pitch stuff is in the league of Vikram Rathore and Debang Gandhi.

South Africa are dishing out utter rubbish in the name of bowling right now - they make him look like a clown with good short pitched stuff and then spray it wide in the name of the fuller delivery. I bet he won't last more than 50 deliveries against a South African attack bowling and executing intelligently or even against the likes of Zaheer and Ishant. I had watched him in the Ford Ranger Cup and he had looked really good, but he is not test match class as of today. Even Harmison would fancy his chances against him.

Hughes resembles Kumble while negotiating short pitched stuff. So awkward to the eyes! If not for wayward South African bowling, he would have been back to the pavilion long back.He even gloved one to WK off a short ball for which SA didn't appeal.Seriously if Hughes is the best opener available in Australia atm, their batting woes may double quickly. No wonder why Australian selectors were hesitant to drop Hayden!

Bookmarked this thread to bump when he tons up soon. :)
He might ton up but in no way will his game against proper short pitched stuff go unnoticed in the cricketing world and if he does not improve on it(which might just mean leave those damn things alone) he'll be finished with and by the Ashes for a few years.

I've watched him play the short ball in the past with plenty of assurance. Didn't see his knock yesterday, no idea what happened but it may have been anything from nerves to pressure to perform affecting his natural game. When he's on song, he's a pretty solid puller and cutter, and I wouldn't be too quick to write him off. You can't score runs in the Shield against some of the attacks he faced without being able to handle the short stuff.