McGlashan : Sehwag said Ill bring up my 100 with a six

King

http://tvnz.co.nz/cricket-news/three-new-faces-in-black-caps-2538327/video Interesting video, McGlashan acknowledges Sehwag mentioned he's going to go for a six to get the 100 in the 4th ODI. McGlashan "I did actually mention you know when he was on 96, how are you gonna bring up your 100 keep playing some shots and he said oh if Daniel bowls in the right area I'm gonna hit it for six. Sure enough, four balls later."

That's quite a silly and irrelavant question. How many times hasn't he done that before? Secondly, he didn't rate Vettori badly. He only said if it's in the slot I'll go for a six. I know what reference you are making here, you are referring to my comments about Dhoni. We all know what happened last night, so much for being cocky about the score India can chase. The difference here is Sehwag can do it most of the times but India hasn't been as great yet. They are good but not great to be way too cocky.

Dhoni's comments "He wants us to bat..... how will they know how much is enough against us" Didn't NZ know how much was enough last night. What was Dhoni's contribution last night? So much for being cocky the team didn't last more than 37 overs. If India backed up his comments consistently I'd be happy and won't mind the comments. 149 runs were chased by NZ in 23 overs, that's some thumping. Most Indians don't even rate NZ but they were good last night. Cheap talk is easy but to back it up is not. Again for every Sehwag's confident comment you have Bhajji's We'll beat them 5-0 comments. There are a lot of loose cannons in the Indian team. I can bet if Ponting made a similar comment like Dhoni did and Aussies lost as badly as last night it would be mayhem here. Ponting would be called rude, arrogant, cocky and everything. There is not a single comment about Dhoni though. Let's accept a lot of us here have blinkers and can only big up our stars when it's going good.

Dhoni's comments "He wants us to bat..... how will they know how much is enough against us" Didn't NZ know how much was enough last night. What was Dhoni's contribution last night? So much for being cocky the team didn't last more than 37 overs. If India backed up his comments consistently I'd be happy and won't mind the comments. 149 runs were chased by NZ in 23 overs, that's some thumping. Most Indians don't even rate NZ but they were good last night. Cheap talk is easy but to back it up is not. Again for every Sehwag's confident comment you have Bhajji's We'll beat them 5-0 comments. There are a lot of loose cannons in the Indian team. I can bet if Ponting made a similar comment like Dhoni did and Aussies lost as badly as last night it would be mayhem here. Ponting would be called rude, arrogant, cocky and everything. There is not a single comment about Dhoni though. Let's accept a lot of us here have blinkers and can only big up our stars when it's going good.
You are ignoring the most important point here, that this was an irrelevant match. Bhajji bowled pretty well all through the series also, and if not for 5-0, we would have won 4-1 atleast. Thats not as big a slap on face..as McGrath got when he predicted 5-0 for the ashes they lost. You won't see NZ papers laughing because they won a dead match , no matter how convicingly.
You are ignoring the most important point here, that this was an irrelevant match. Bhajji bowled pretty well all through the series also, and if not for 5-0, we would have won 4-1 atleast. Thats not as big a slap on face..as McGrath got when he predicted 5-0 for the ashes they lost. You won't see NZ papers laughing because they won a dead match , no matter how convicingly.
Don't tell me India considered this an irrelevant match. They made no changes to the team that won the last game. If India were going to take it easy they would have made a lot of changes which they didn't. Simply put they were just not up to the task. They got far too over confident and when things didn't go their way they quietly surrendered. How do you know India would have won 4-1? India lost few quick wickets in Wellington and the way the Kiwis have batted in this series there was every chance they would have knocked off the runs in quick time. India won it fair and square but it is stupid to go around painting the town with your silly talk (I mean the players not you). If India won last night's game you would not be treating this as an irrelevant match would you? You would be singing praise of India and Bhajji because they won it 4-0. Why don't you guys talk about 2-0 result in the Twenty20s? Twenty20s are irrelevant is it? If India had won those two it would have gained a lot of importance isn't it? Indians are Twenty20 champions but lost the Twenty20 series 2-0. For some reason a lot of us here just can't see both sides of the coin. Whether you like it or not Kiwis knocked Indians over using the likes of Ryder in the bowling department. If you are a champion team and an absoltuely top team you don't go down to the likes of NZ in particular when they use Ryder. Ryder hardly even gets a lot of wickets in domestic cricket.
Don't tell me India considered this an irrelevant match. They made no changes to the team that won the last game. If India were going to take it easy they would have made a lot of changes which they didn't. Simply put they were just not up to the task. They got far too over confident and when things didn't go their way they quietly surrendered. How do you know India would have won 4-1? India lost few quick wickets in Wellington and the way the Kiwis have batted in this series there was every chance they would have knocked off the runs in quick time. India won it fair and square but it is stupid to go around painting the town with your silly talk (I mean the players not you). If India won last night's game you would not be treating this as an irrelevant match would you? You would be singing praise of India and Bhajji because they won it 4-0. Why don't you guys talk about 2-0 result in the Twenty20s? Twenty20s are irrelevant is it? If India had won those two it would have gained a lot of importance isn't it? Indians are Twenty20 champions but lost the Twenty20 series 2-0. For some reason a lot of us here just can't see both sides of the coin. Whether you like it or not Kiwis knocked Indians over using the likes of Ryder in the bowling department. If you are a champion team and an absoltuely top team you don't go down to the likes of NZ in particular when they use Ryder. Ryder hardly even gets a lot of wickets in domestic cricket.
1). If it had been a must win or relevant game, they would have put Sachin in the team, who is probably fit now. 2). If it had been a must win game, Dhoni would have come at #4 rather than Rohit, EVEN if Sachin was not in the team due to fitness problems. I think these 2 things would have made a lot of difference to the end result.
1). If it had been a must win or relevant game, they would have put Sachin in the team, who is probably fit now. 2). If it had been a must win game, Dhoni would have come at #4 rather than Rohit, EVEN if Sachin was not in the team due to fitness problems. I think these 2 things would have made a lot of difference to the end result.
Those are plain excuses. You think because of the two above reasons India lost? Dhoni comes at any number that pleases him. At times he has played at no.3 and sometimes slightly down the order. That has nothing to do with losing last night's game. Why can't you accept Indians went there to win it 4-0 but were outplayed by NZ? Just because India lost, it is an irrelavant game. If India won the game would you have not felt good or would you have treated it as irrelevant game?
I think Ravi, that yesterday, it was overconfidence and underestimation of Sehwag's talent by his own teammates that caused the downfall. When the ball was swinging (albeit not prodigiously), Sehwag was able to go for his shots because he's in redhot form at the moment. Gambhir has fallen 4/6 times to the same shot in this series and doesn't seem to understand that in this condition, you cannot play the thirdman shot effectively. I think Raina tried to go over the top way too quickly after seeing Sehwag bat like the way he did despite getting beaten several times. Yuvraj was playing sensibly and chose the wrong shot for the wrong ball. When we lost the 5th match against SL, it was a 2nd level Indian XI, and we were unable to win -but here, after claiming to take the winning momentum into the test series and intentionally not changing the team, it was an inexplicable performance. I think we are starting to take the praise too seriously, and in fact praising ourselves as well. Its wrong, and I agree with you. But I still stand by my point when I say that what Dhoni said at the toss in the 4th match is not the sort of statements that I've personally criticized Ponting for. Another thing is, when we won the T20 WC, in the SF after we won against Australia, Dhoni told Ravi Shastri about how underestimation of the Indian team was getting them victories. I hope he realizes that soon enough to underestimate the NZ team because they do fight very hard (and that too in their own backyard). After watching our performance yesterday on a wicket that assisted seam bowlers for the first couple of hours, I am pretty sure Vettori and the NZ management would try and get seaming wickets in the test matches against them. I was talking to Salil yesterday, and I'd told him how excited I was to watch Zaheer & Ishant on the same wicket that the NZ bowlers got so much out of. It proved to be a bit of false hype, at least as far as this performance is concerned. The best part of Ishant's performance in Australia was that he figured out what length to bowl to the batsmen pretty quickly but so far, its been sharp rising bounce from a short of a length that he's attempted and unfortunately, is getting hit quite badly. Only Zaheer and Praveen to an extent have been bowling the right lengths. I hope our bowlers don't take this lightly and do practice a bit on what length they want to bowl to the batsmen - and I don't think its very hard, to be honest. I think bowling to this lineup should be a lot less intimidating to our bowlers than bowling to Australia. But because we expect it to be tough, we bring our game up. Its a bit of a mystery with Dhoni, who's generally very critical of the performance on the field, that we've performed poorly in the field, and rather averagely with the ball - and we haven't heard as much as we usually do. I'm starting to sound like fineleg, so I'll stop. I am not one to ever doubt our team but I do hope that with the likes of Dravid, Laxman, and Sachin, that if there's an opening wobble, we fight a bit longer with the bowling, and come out on top. I think everyone here seems to underestimating the NZ bowling, and I disagree with it. I think Chris Martin (as terrible a batsman as he is), can bowl the inswinging fast deliveries into Sehwag that can trouble him, and despite Gambhir's terrific form for the past 2 years or so, he has to tighten his offstump game, and I think it will make for a good contest.
I think Ravi, that yesterday, it was overconfidence and underestimation of Sehwag's talent by his own teammates that caused the downfall. When the ball was swinging (albeit not prodigiously), Sehwag was able to go for his shots because he's in redhot form at the moment. Gambhir has fallen 4/6 times to the same shot in this series and doesn't seem to understand that in this condition, you cannot play the thirdman shot effectively. I think Raina tried to go over the top way too quickly after seeing Sehwag bat like the way he did despite getting beaten several times. Yuvraj was playing sensibly and chose the wrong shot for the wrong ball. When we lost the 5th match against SL, it was a 2nd level Indian XI, and we were unable to win -but here, after claiming to take the winning momentum into the test series and intentionally not changing the team, it was an inexplicable performance. I think we are starting to take the praise too seriously, and in fact praising ourselves as well. Its wrong, and I agree with you. But I still stand by my point when I say that what Dhoni said at the toss in the 4th match is not the sort of statements that I've personally criticized Ponting for. Another thing is, when we won the T20 WC, in the SF after we won against Australia, Dhoni told Ravi Shastri about how underestimation of the Indian team was getting them victories. I hope he realizes that soon enough to underestimate the NZ team because they do fight very hard (and that too in their own backyard). After watching our performance yesterday on a wicket that assisted seam bowlers for the first couple of hours, I am pretty sure Vettori and the NZ management would try and get seaming wickets in the test matches against them. I was talking to Salil yesterday, and I'd told him how excited I was to watch Zaheer & Ishant on the same wicket that the NZ bowlers got so much out of. It proved to be a bit of false hype, at least as far as this performance is concerned. The best part of Ishant's performance in Australia was that he figured out what length to bowl to the batsmen pretty quickly but so far, its been sharp rising bounce from a short of a length that he's attempted and unfortunately, is getting hit quite badly. Only Zaheer and Praveen to an extent have been bowling the right lengths. I hope our bowlers don't take this lightly and do practice a bit on what length they want to bowl to the batsmen - and I don't think its very hard, to be honest. I think bowling to this lineup should be a lot less intimidating to our bowlers than bowling to Australia. But because we expect it to be tough, we bring our game up. Its a bit of a mystery with Dhoni, who's generally very critical of the performance on the field, that we've performed poorly in the field, and rather averagely with the ball - and we haven't heard as much as we usually do. I'm starting to sound like fineleg, so I'll stop. I am not one to ever doubt our team but I do hope that with the likes of Dravid, Laxman, and Sachin, that if there's an opening wobble, we fight a bit longer with the bowling, and come out on top. I think everyone here seems to underestimating the NZ bowling, and I disagree with it. I think Chris Martin (as terrible a batsman as he is), can bowl the inswinging fast deliveries into Sehwag that can trouble him, and despite Gambhir's terrific form for the past 2 years or so, he has to tighten his offstump game, and I think it will make for a good contest.
Good post, graphic. And you have stated the truth, and realistically what happened. We(ind batsmen) made mistakes, thats the truth. And no matter 'who u sound like', it is what happened in the game last night. For Tests, I hope our team can put a much better performance. (incl the ZK/IS/3rd seamer) if any of our players were underestimating NZ, i hope they got the wakeup call in last match
Ravi' date=' do you think it was "cockiness" on Sehwag's part ?[/quote'] sehwag is a bit like most vulcans from star trek... stating the logical obvious without an air of apprehension or hesitation... this has the peril of being perceived as arrogant and presumptuous.

The same thing can be said about Sehwag, Mr-I-Pity-the-bowlers, when het got out cheaply in the 3rd ODI. His comments seem to be cocky, but he shoots starting from the hip. Dhoni also has a similar attitude. He knew NZ were in doubt to choose to bat or bowl in the 4th ODI. After the 3rd ODI heroics. So, at the toss, they chose to bat not willing to give first chance to India again. So, Dhoni might have quipped at that doubt saying abiut how India can chase any target easily. And THEY DID in the 4th odi. Why is it cocky for one's comments (Dhoni) and just plain straight talk in the other case (Sehwag)?

The same thing can be said about Sehwag, Mr-I-Pity-the-bowlers, when het got out cheaply in the 3rd ODI. His comments seem to be cocky, but he shoots starting from the hip. Dhoni also has a similar attitude. He knew NZ were in doubt to choose to bat or bowl in the 4th ODI. After the 3rd ODI heroics. So, at the toss, they chose to bat not willing to give first chance to India again. So, Dhoni might have quipped at that doubt saying abiut how India can chase any target easily. And THEY DID in the 4th odi. Why is it cocky for one's comments (Dhoni) and just plain straight talk in the other case (Sehwag)?
Simple.because Sehwag said i'll hit it for a six ONLY if it is in the slot. n he wasnt giving a public interview.he didnt need to be respectful of Vettori.but he still was. wheras Dhoni was plain cocky.he sounded as if no total can even bother India ever.that is downright disrespectful n cocky.if he had said that IF we pay well ,no total is unachievable,that would have been much better
Simple.because Sehwag said i'll hit it for a six ONLY if it is in the slot. n he wasnt giving a public interview.he didnt need to be respectful of Vettori.but he still was. wheras Dhoni was plain cocky.he sounded as if no total can even bother India ever.that is downright disrespectful n cocky.if he had said that IF we pay well ,no total is unachievable,that would have been much better
rox is back! :D