Is Dhoni too defensive as a captain ?

Is Dhoni too defensive as a captain ?  

1. 1.

I can not see whats the problem in that. Balaji will be a brilliant captain. If we have to make some adjustments to the team to get him, so be it. Note: Agarkar can be made vice captain.
The opposition can easily surpass 443 the highest score in ODIs even in a T20 if agarkar is called back and made the vice captain...he may run over mick lewis.......in 4 overs :hysterical: :hysterical: Note : Mick lewis went for 113/0 in his 10 overs in the historixcal game of 434 and 438......highest runs given by a bowler in an ODI game :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
One extremely lucky bugger he is in terms of not getting stick from the media. If Sehwag or Rahul Dravid or Kumble or even Tendulkar had done what Dhoni did they would have been crucified. Lucky India had already won the series. Extremely defensive leadership it was. I thought he was better than Rahul Dravid in this aspect but he seems to be from the same school. Sehwag was blasted in the last match for his bowling changes and field settings but it was no better this time around from Dhoni either. It was shocking some of the bowling changes and field settings. The fielders were so lethargic and the number of drop catches in this test match did no good either. There was some great fighting efforts from the likes of Zaheer, Gambhir, Rahul, Tendulkar and Harbhajan that went absolutely waste because of Dhoni. I'm not saying he's a bad captain but he's not great as he is made out to be. He's definitely better than Rahul Dravid or Tendulkar but not in the top ranks as yet. The amount of hype he gets he should do better than this. That said there is no better candidate than Dhoni to lead this team though, he gets the results no matter what. BTW I also know the OP was intending to be a thread contemplating bashing of Dhoni and making mockery of that but I had to express my anger at missing out on winning a test match in a town Indians haven't won.
why is Dhoni not bashed when he commits a mistake......WHY ????????????????? he shud be punished or at least told by the media that he is employing some useless tricks :whack:
One extremely lucky bugger he is in terms of not getting stick from the media. If Sehwag or Rahul Dravid or Kumble or even Tendulkar had done what Dhoni did they would have been crucified. Lucky India had already won the series. Extremely defensive leadership it was. I thought he was better than Rahul Dravid in this aspect but he seems to be from the same school. Sehwag was blasted in the last match for his bowling changes and field settings but it was no better this time around from Dhoni either. It was shocking some of the bowling changes and field settings. The fielders were so lethargic and the number of drop catches in this test match did no good either. There was some great fighting efforts from the likes of Zaheer, Gambhir, Rahul, Tendulkar and Harbhajan that went absolutely waste because of Dhoni. I'm not saying he's a bad captain but he's not great as he is made out to be. He's definitely better than Rahul Dravid or Tendulkar but not in the top ranks as yet. The amount of hype he gets he should do better than this. That said there is no better candidate than Dhoni to lead this team though, he gets the results no matter what. BTW I also know the OP was intending to be a thread contemplating bashing of Dhoni and making mockery of that but I had to express my anger at missing out on winning a test match in a town Indians haven't won.
:hatsoff: Couldn't have been more aptly put. Super post Ravi :hatsoff:

He lost finals against a weak Pakistan team and Srilanka in kitply and Asia cup. He is just some how lucky in the sense when India loses it is some how the team's fault and when India wins it is due to his greatness.See the loses in those finals are almost swept under rug and wins like in cb series T20 and series wins against Australia and England are remembered more.

Guest gaurav_indian
He lost finals against a weak Pakistan team and Srilanka in kitply and Asia cup. He is just some how lucky in the sense when India loses it is some how the team's fault and when India wins it is due to his greatness.See the loses in those finals are almost swept under rug and wins like in cb series T20 and series wins against Australia and England are remembered more.
lol are you the same guy at PM forums B->

It was definitely an over defensive strategy from Dhoni. 600+ is just way too many runs. Yes he has won the series and will be and should be cut some slack, but there seems to be a disconnect between the ability of the side and the results it is producing. In hindsight, I am quite glad we collapsed the way we did at Nagpur against Australia in the second innings otherwise that test would have been a draw as well and it would have been better if we were bowled out for 300 here.

Ok Dhoni was defensive in this test, but really who cares? I would certainly prefer us winning it against the west indies instead, it would be much better, as a win ould result in no more than a win in the series considering if we drew we were already going to win. West indies I am sure will be more of a handful with th elikes of taylor and ofcourse the inform chris gayle doing well in all forms of the game at the minute. You complain about Dhonis captaincy, you are not the judge of that. With his record as captian in tests so far I am sure that it is enough to praise him and hats off to him as well. We one the series, Dhoni hasnt still lost a test under captaincy, and we are in rocket form Is there really any need to complain?

Is there really any need to complain?
the only thing that he can probably defend with is-it is his head will be in the block if india had lost, not yours or mine. also the fact that Rider/Taylor/McCullum are quick scorers and on a slow pitch, flat track, with an out of form Ishant, there was an outside chance of NZ again scoring 600+.he had overestimated NZ. yes,Dhoni disappointed.he cost us a win. by the way, what would have been the extent of influence of Kirsten/SRT/RD/VS in the delayed declaration? hmmmm,apart from not declaring earlier, what was irritating was the way he was batting after Yuvraj got out.he was playing as if he was saving a test.for some one of his ability to biff balls, he was not taking any risks at all in pushing the score.i thought he was playing for his 'not out', how else can u describe his effort, i mean the bowlers were not great, they were tired, the opposition was at his mercy, but the guy really took his time to declare.
balaji shud be the captain of the team when u have the following 11 :haha: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:
:hysterical::hysterical: S Badrinath can't find his place in even in L Balaji's Team. :pray: Dhoni is defensive in this test, cause he doesn't want to miss the 41 year after record. He will become more defensive as more expectations are on his way. We knew it, We already lost exploding Dhoni, eventually Agressive captain too.
^ Rajan' date=' Dhoni was never playing for the runs at that stage. If a few came by he was happy with them but it was clear he had the time as the primary factor of the declaration in his mind. He had decided he would declare half way into the first session regardless of the runs.[/quote'] scoring some quick runs after yuvi & Bhaji got out, would have given him a few extra overs to bowl at NZ, the extra runs would have ensured NZ take more time to overhaul our target(especially when even a target 180 runs less than what v set had never been done in the history of test cricket)!
scoring some quick runs after yuvi & Bhaji got out' date=' would have given him a few extra overs to bowl at NZ, the extra runs would have ensured NZ take more time to overhaul our target(especially when even a target 180 runs less than what v set had never been done in the history of test cricket)![/quote'] I agree - what I am saying is that runs were never part of his declaration plan towards the end. He had made up his mind to declare halfway into the first session.

A captain should not be aggressive just for the sake of it. Dhoni did what every other international captain would have done – Seal a historic triumph first. The weird thing is, he is being slammed as though he batted half was past day 5 and declared with a lead of 750. He didn’t. Our team had 160 overs to bowl NZ out. Now, I challenge anyone on this board to find at least 3 other instances when a side batting 3rd declared the 3rd innings with 160 overs left to bowl out the opposition on the 4th innings. It rarely happens. Generally, teams at best get 135-140 overs. When a captain takes decisions on the field, he cant be punting on weather and light conditions. It was our bad luck that we lost so much time to bad light and run.