Test series in England, 2009: England v West Indies discussion

1st Test : England v West Indies discussion Strauss © Bowlers: Anderson Bresnan Broad Panesar Swann Onions Batsmen: Strauss Pietersen Bopara Collingwood (A Class Act, as always) Cook Prior as WK. Really interesting lineup of 12 named; a little top heavy batting wise as it looks as if Broad/Bresnan will probably have to shoulder some batting load at 7/8. I'm curious to see whether they're insecure enough to pick four seamers for the early-May test (that too at Lord's), or daft/indecisive enough to pick two seamers for a Lord's test, when it's blatantly obvious to anyone with ten working brain cells that Swann is a significantly better bowler than Panesar and should be picked ahead of him.

If this will be the squad in the Ashes' date=' England will be thrashed![/quote'] who else would you like to see in there Chandan? Knowing that Simon Jones would not be available for the ashes because of injury concern yet again, also knowning that Hoggard hasn't heard a word yet from ECB since he was last dropped, and also knowing that Trescho doesn't have any plans of coming back.

1st Test: England v West Indies discussion England named a 12 man squad for the Lord's test with 5 batsmen, a keeper and 6 bowlers. Graham Onions, James Anderson, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad as the seam attack. Monty Panesar and Graeme Swann as spinners. It's Lord's, fairly firm wicket but early in the season. They're risking a lot by playing Prior at 6 and then bowlers after. What should the selection be? 4 seamers + 1 spinner? 3 seamers + 2 spinners? Who should sit out? Should they pick the better batsmen among the bowlers (Bresnan and Broad) at the risk of potentially weakening the attack with Bresnan? Let's go. BlueBlood, Zap? I'll try and keep this clear of the trolling and needless negativity. Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought - err, nevermind that. So. The selection?

I'd be interested in Onions. 2 reasons: 1) He has a funny name. 2) He did well in that Tour game against the Indians XI (the one where Sachin scored 171 :--D). I think he got 3 or 4 wickets in the first 20-25 overs. It'd be better than trying the same guys over and over again. Swann over Panesar. England would be wise to do that - but they're not. 3 seamers, 1 spinner, 7 batsmen. I'd rather have Broad tbh.

The name thing with Onions is irrelevant. Until they pick Phil Mustard to replace Prior. Seriously, Onions and Mustard could be such an awesome combination for bad punsters! :D But he's a youngster who I've seen swing it both ways (with the new ball) at about 86-88 mph. Seriously talented.

I honestly don't think England will ever pick a 2 spinner side in any format of the game. Samit Patel was one such exception but due to his lack of fitness, that train passed. 4+1 will be the case. Although I doubt Bresnan will get a shot, but you never know with the current England team. Because Collingwood would be able to do the job from the other end.

The name thing with Onions is irrelevant. Until they pick Phil Mustard to replace Prior. Seriously, Onions and Mustard could be such an awesome combination for bad punsters! :D But he's a youngster who I've seen swing it both ways (with the new ball) at about 86-88 mph. Seriously talented.
so they are leaving out Monty panesar?.has the wicket at Lord's changed yet or do we expect another flat pitch?
so they are leaving out Monty panesar?.has the wicket at Lord's changed yet or do we expect another flat pitch?
Apparently, Lord's has turned into a batting paradise in recent years and the last six Tests have all been drawn. There is a tinge of green to the latest surface, but that doesn't necessarily mean there will be any more life for the quicks and they don't have a habit of breaking up for the spinners, either. The forecast is promising with Wednesday meant to be cloudy but dry and just a few showers possible on Thursday.

Owais Shah has been treated a little unfairly IMO. He is a good #3, his batting replete with attacking strokeplay and flair. Should be there ahead of Bopara. I saw Onions bowl recently against Somerset and he looked pacy. What's Bresnan like?

Given that WI play spin very poorly and if the conditions aren't overcast I wud go in with two spinners. On the other hand WI will do a grave mistake if they strengthen their batting at the expense of a quickie. I wud like to see Simmons opening with Gayle and Sammy at #6 and Andrew Richardson to make his debut. He is a Jamaican who has had a decent domestic season. I am tired of Devon Smith atleast Dale Richards should be given a chance if they want to go with 7+3.

Monty has been poor, domestically, this season, he should not play. Onions on tha other hand has just come off a magestic 6 wicket haul against Somerset and looks an international bowler, bowling at 85mph and swinging the ball consierably. Bresnan lacks the pace to be a potent Test option, in the long term. And so, I'd go with... 8. Broad 9. Swann 10. Anderson 11. Onions