Dhoni vs media : Dhoni pissed at media

Hmm, Times of India personally responds to Dhoni's actions:

OTTINGHAM: It was supposed to be a routine pre-match media conference; but it turned out to be nothing but a well-orchestrated and long drawn out soap opera. The media was waiting for captain MS Dhoni to address them ahead of their opening match against Bangladesh here at Trent Bridge on Saturday. But what they got, after a 15-minute wait, was the entire Indian team, plus the 11-member support staff too. Dhoni carried a hand-written statement for moral support. He took the centre chair, like always, while team manager V Chamundeshwarnath sat grimly to his left. The others stood behind them, smiled nervously and struck happy poses for the shutterbugs and TV cameras. The entire purpose behind this drama was, of course, to signify team unity ahead of the Twenty20 World Cup. It became even more apparent when Dhoni read out the statement which sought to dismiss TOI’s Friday report of a possible rift between himself and Virender Sehwag. It was almost similar to the scenes that were enacted ahead of India’s World Cup match against Zimbabwe in 2003. Following the team’s humiliating defeat against Australia, fans in the country had gone on a rampage, even destroying players’ homes and property. Then, Sachin Tendulkar, a national hero, too read out a brief statement, urging the fans to calm down and have faith in the team. That was a different context, of course. This time, even though there are rumours about differences between the captain and vice-captain, the situation hadn’t gone out of hand. Dhoni, however, probably understands the significance of such a fallout, especially if the team fails to defend the title. The drama, however, wasn’t the only shock for the media. Dhoni led the entire team away as soon as the statement was read, without even bothering for the press conference. A few complained about the skipper’s disregard for ICC rules, which stipulate that the captain and coach (or any member of the team) must address the media before and after every game. The ICC officials themselves were stumped by the team’s conduct and quietly faced the wrath of the angry press contingent. They said, "What can we do? We don’t control the Indian team." They soon got into damage control mode, though, and Gary Kirsten eventually appeared for the briefing. Kirsten, a dour opening batsman in his heydays, got into an aggressive mode. "When we get accused of infighting it hurts us. That doesn’t happen in this team. Certainly in my time, it (infighting) has never happened. It just hurt a little bit. We wanted to send a message across to the Indian people that this team is really unified. We have been for a long time now," he said. He even chose the occasion to preach the virtues and needs of responsible reporting. "The players understand that there is a place for the media. At the same time I think there is a responsibility on both sides. We play positive cricket and we try and win games. From the media’s side, it is important that they report responsibly," he said. But why did the team come up with such a farcical response? "It was a collective decision to show the Indian fans that our players are united. It was a risk drawing attention to the issue in this way but it’s not going to affect us. What it’s done is motivated the players and made them more determined. It’s given us more direction in terms of what we want to achieve for the Indian people," was Kirsten’s explanation. What he, of course, conveniently ignored was the fact that a member of the team management himself had leaked details about the ‘tiff’ between the captain and vice-captain to a section of the media. Sehwag’s injury and Dhoni’s curious comments on his availability after the warm-up game against Pakistan only added fuel to the controversy. Kirsten’s comments on Sehwag’s availability, however, did not exactly douse the fire. "No one is certain of a place in the playing XI. Everyone knows that and they respect that. We run with what we think is the best option and what’s really nice about this team is that everyone backs everyone else in terms of the decision," Kirsten said. And they want the media to believe that.
Hey media! Go **** yourself.

I am not entirely certain about this - If the Indian team really did think this was all media hype and fabrication, why did they treat it so seriously that the entire team + staff paraded ungainly onto the press conference dias, with the captain reading a hurriedly prepared statement and leaving immediately after that? Why did not take any questions beyond that? If the team wanted to indulge in some damage-control and allay any fears about rumors, they could have done so in much simpler ways and effective ways. Somehow, reacting in an unprecendented manner (the whole Indian squad coming to the media conference I dont think has happened before) to a media hype seems to indicate some level of panic and guilt. Who knows, something maybe happening behind the scenes after all, which is completely natural coz in a team based sport filled with super-stars, there are bound to be clash of ideas and egos.

I am not entirely certain about this - If the Indian team really did think this was all media hype and fabrication, why did they treat it so seriously that the entire team + staff paraded ungainly onto the press conference dias, with the captain reading a hurriedly prepared statement and leaving immediately after that? Why did not take any questions beyond that? If the team wanted to indulge in some damage-control and allay any fears about rumors, they could have done so in much simpler ways and effective ways. Somehow, reacting in an unprecendented manner (the whole Indian squad coming to the media conference I dont think has happened before) to a media hype seems to indicate some level of panic and guilt. Who knows, something maybe happening behind the scenes after all, which is completely natural coz in a team based sport filled with super-stars, there are bound to be clash of ideas and egos.
You are saying Dhoni should have behaved like Sachin Tendulkar or Rahul Dravid. They both have taken plenty of crap in the past but have moved on as they don't bother about the filth that goes on. Dhoni is a different type and is a brash leader. I think he has his own means to deal with them and that is nothing wrong. If you don't react they will start writing about the rift between Dhoni and his family next because they spoke in a raised tone in an airport or something. Sure thing he could just carry on but why would he want to be more irritated?

Guys guyz guyzz... theres an icing on this cake . PostScript: On phone just now from England, my Rediff colleague Harish Kotian informed us that as Dhoni led his team out of the press conference, he tossed a stack of printed copies of his statement at the reporters and said, here, otherwise you will misquote me on this as well [Nahin toh tum log isko bhi ulta likhega]. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Why should he let useless controversies take root. The fans are the support base of the team and keeping the fans from being mislead is as important as winning any matches. I would have written more but this piece says exactly what i want to : http://sightscreen.rediffiland.com/scripts/xanadu_diary_view.php?postId=1244209664 Question for the 'Indian media': just why were you miffed? Could it be that for once, you are finding a captain who won't play your games? A captain who, what is more, will confront issues head on when they arise or, more accurately, when you fabricate them out of whole cloth [As I had indicated earlier in the day, here]? One of the reasons problems proliferated earlier is that when sections of the media fabricated stories of rifts within the team, the captain of the time either did not address them head on, or if he did, did so in the sort of wishy washy fashion that carried no conviction. This facet of Dhoni is, even more than his captaincy, the reason I like him -- he has the cojones to stop nonsense before it can spread, and doesn't care how blunt he has to be to get the message across.
I am not entirely certain about this - If the Indian team really did think this was all media hype and fabrication' date=' why did they treat it so seriously that the entire team + staff paraded [b']ungainly onto the press conference dias, with the captain reading a hurriedly prepared statement and leaving immediately after that? Why did not take any questions beyond that? If the team wanted to indulge in some damage-control and allay any fears about rumors, they could have done so in much simpler ways and effective ways. Somehow, reacting in an unprecendented manner (the whole Indian squad coming to the media conference I dont think has happened before) to a media hype seems to indicate some level of panic and guilt. Who knows, something maybe happening behind the scenes after all, which is completely natural coz in a team based sport filled with super-stars, there are bound to be clash of ideas and egos.
The media wildly speculated about rift between dhoni & sehwag. Who'd be next on the speculation list ? I liked the way he read out of the statement - and asked that to be printed - nothing else. :haha: I loved how you put the words - TOI will definitely employ you if need. :winky:
Guys guyz guyzz... theres an icing on this cake . PostScript: On phone just now from England, my Rediff colleague Harish Kotian informed us that as Dhoni led his team out of the press conference, he tossed a stack of printed copies of his statement at the reporters and said, here, otherwise you will misquote me on this as well [Nahin toh tum log isko bhi ulta likhega]. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
This was about nipping the controversy waiting to happen in its bud. The filth of Star Nooz and TOI would have added more masala and carried this on, putting undue pressure on the team if and when they started losing. A bland statement like "everything is fine" is already expected and would have only led to more painful dissections by the tabloids. There may even be truth in the accusations but Dhoni wanted them to shut the feck up and move on. That is why he pulled out the theater and sledged the media. First challenge was the Aussies. Now, the bigger one of his own media. *sigh* Frankly, I don't care whether there was a fight or not. The team should be able to walk out with their focus on the game rather than outside noise.
Please do me a favor - stop clicking on any TOI links and visiting their website. I resolved on this a couple of years back and am still holding firm.
The quality of TOI's online content is abysmal but their print edition(along with HT etc) is still very good, especially the editorial.