No plan to bat at No. 3 throughout the T20 World Cup: Dhoni

Texy

14 runs against the Irish!!! he was nudging the ball the whole time....the only time he tried to go over...got caught. What has happened to the dhoni of past? Is he that greedy that money comes before country? You're not playing in IPL for god's sake! and He could have sent yusuf pathan who didn't get any practice this tournament or someone else instead of promoting himself up the order....this is BS

Guest gaurav_indian
abe ye quote kahan se uthaya .. it is nowhere related to the thead :hmmm: regarding the thread topic, I am also pissed off and surprised why Dhoni has promoted himself to no. 3 when there are Raina, Yuvi etc. who deserve that spot
Thread start karne wale ka sig hai.

Cut this guy some slack. People can go through patches where everything does not click as it used to. The degradation in his hitting prowess is alarming, but I don’t think it has cost us a match as yet. (Though, it nearly did, in the match against B’desh. UV saved our souls back then). I do not know for sure if this is a irreversible change in his game or if he is trying some new strategies or approach. ( He started IPL similarly, but later blossomed to play some of his characteristic knocks of the old. So who knows, he may still yet deliver in this tournament too). And I will be shocked to see if someone accuses Dhoni of being selfish or trying to block other players from having more visible responsibilities. Here’s a guy who, at one period between late 2006 and mid-2008, was the busiest cricketer in the entire world. He literally ground his body to dust, wicket-keeping, captaining and batting for team, in all the 3 forms of the game, something not many others do. It isn’t any surprise that since he made his international debut, India has had its most productive period as far cricketing achievements go. And yet, our stars get rubbished and branded at the flip of a coin.

Cut this guy some slack. People can go through patches where everything does not click as it used to. The degradation in his hitting prowess is alarming, but I don’t think it has cost us a match as yet. (Though, it nearly did, in the match against B’desh. UV saved our souls back then). I do not know for sure if this is a irreversible change in his game or if he is trying some new strategies or approach. ( He started IPL similarly, but later blossomed to play some of his characteristic knocks of the old. So who knows, he may still yet deliver in this tournament too). And I will be shocked to see if someone accuses Dhoni of being selfish or trying to block other players from having more visible responsibilities. Here’s a guy who, at one period between late 2006 and mid-2008, was the busiest cricketer in the entire world. He literally ground his body to dust, wicket-keeping, captaining and batting for team, in all the 3 forms of the game, something not many others do. It isn’t any surprise that since he made his international debut, India has had its most productive period as far cricketing achievements go. And yet, our stars get rubbished and branded at the flip of a coin.
Dhoni was never a no. 3 batsman and he himself knows it... he was our no. 5 batsman who came just before YKP .. so why has he promoted to no. 3 when he knows that Raina and Yuvi are the perfect no. 3 and no. 4 batsman .. thats the main point.. he does not need to bat at no. 3 as there are permenant batsmen like Raina and Yuvi at 3 and 4 respectively .. he can come at no. 5

For me its not the question of why he is coming at 3, what i want to know if why werent raina, yusuf n irfan not promoted. Day after against WI if we loss 3 quick wickets before 7th over we will have 3 batsman who have hardly batted in these conditions

Cut this guy some slack. People can go through patches where everything does not click as it used to. The degradation in his hitting prowess is alarming, but I don’t think it has cost us a match as yet. (Though, it nearly did, in the match against B’desh. UV saved our souls back then). I do not know for sure if this is a
It cost the match for your avtar :--D
Dhoni was never a no. 3 batsman and he himself knows it... he was our no. 5 batsman who came just before YKP .. so why has he promoted to no. 3 when he knows that Raina and Yuvi are the perfect no. 3 and no. 4 batsman .. thats the main point.. he does not need to bat at no. 3 as there are permenant batsmen like Raina and Yuvi at 3 and 4 respectively .. he can come at no. 5
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows, the team may have determined that it maybe sound strategy for us to have our best hitters come late in the innings, rather than upfront. It could be possible that after the disastrous T20 series we had in NZ where every top and middle order batsmen swung their willow with gay abandon that resulted in us in getting out for sub-par totals, the team think-tank concluded that we need players who can set a more stable foundation at first, so that the hitters could come in later and build on it. Look at it this way – what were our team T20 totals when a) Dhoni batted at no.5/6 and b) When he batted no.3. I think you’ll find that latter number is higher. So, even though as a visual spectacle, it may seem a bit ugly to see MSD plod around for singles between overs 5-12, as a team strategy, it is actually helping us post better totals. I trust the combo of MSD and Gary to do what is right for the team. These two are too smart to persist with a nonsensical strategy for too long. Obviously, they have their own reasons why they are doing what they’re doing. And going by first results, its working.
That makes sense for T20, but for ODIs he is an excellent no. 3

One thing’s clearly obvious with this team’s changed T20 strategy – There’s strong focus on keeping wickets upfront, in preparation of the assault later. And this was one of things that was missing in our T20 matches against NZ. Every batsmen, starting from the openers, just kept swinging wildly. Obviously, that did not work. I am sure that sooner rather than later, MSD will deliver in his no.3 role (if he’s persisted with). It may very well be that the team may adopt the horses for courses strategy and may send in Raina at no.3 if an early wicket falls. But that’s something to be seen.

Marirs you are not far off the mark. That is always Dhoni's mantra be it is ODI or T20. Keeping wickets in hand. Indians went for mad dash and lost their wickets like a pack of cards. So this strategy. But this plan may not work against teams with better death bowling.
Keeping wickets upfront has ALWAYS been the mantra for ALL teams in ODIs, but it has not been the case for all teams in T20s. And its quite easy to understand why that was the case, especially with a team like India. They probably thought – ‘What the heck, we have batsmen till no.8, lets just swing from ball no.1.’ Very soon, they discovered that it was a faulty approach.