Ponting a crap captain: Jeff Thompson

Lord

Guest Hiten.
You know there's a famous saying by former greats of the game. When you win the toss on a flat pitch you bat first. When you win the toss on a green wicket' date=' you think twice and you bat first still. I think it was the great Clive Lloyd who said that.[/quote'] Just because some "great one" said that, it does not have to mean the words are carved in a stone and followed blindly. Lloyd could afford to say that because he boasted a team of champions. Ponting could've afforded the same 2 years ago when Haydos, Langer, Hussey and himself were in fine form, and his bowling arsenal was comprised of Mcgrath and Warney. So it was totally dumb of him to opt to bat first on a green track which have been a proven nemesis of Pakistani batting line up (regardless of eras).

Ian Chappell : A lot of people are criticising Ponting's decision to bat first but I don't necessarily agree that it was the wrong decision. I think if Australia would have batted really well and got 250, it would have been their best way to win the game. You can't blame the captain if the guys don't bat as well as they should. I think also, since the modern player doesn't see grass on the pitch too often, when they so see it, then they get a premeditated idea that batting will be difficult. With Twenty20 and 50-over cricket now, the outlook of the average player is: let me get some runs before they get me. Ponting is a player of an era gone by where he has got the wherewithal to stay there and battle his way through, but he didn't stay; he was gone quickly. I don't agree with the criticism of Ponting's decision. It was a brave one and it could have easily gone the other way. It wasn't an incorrect decision. Having said that, i would still prefer to see him bowl to corner the already uncertain Pak batting on day one.

Just because some "great one" said that' date=' it does not have to mean the words are carved in a stone and followed blindly. Lloyd could afford to say that because he boasted a team of champions. Ponting could've afforded the same 2 years ago when Haydos, Langer, Hussey and himself were in fine form, and his bowling arsenal was comprised of Mcgrath and Warney. So it was totally dumb of him to opt to bat first on a green track which have been a proven nemesis of Pakistani batting line up (regardless of eras).[/quote'] http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvpak09/content/current/story/442730.html Ponting believes in his team at every position and on days like today everyone can see why. "What we have read over the last couple of days and what we have seen on the news has probably just steeled us all a little bit," Ponting said. "It's just made us want to fight the game out as much as we can and prove that we are never out of the contest." Ponting was heavily criticised from the first day for his decision to bat on a juicy surface that set up Australia's fall for 127. By the end his logic was satisfyingly sound. "I backed us at the start of the game to make more runs in the first innings than what I thought Pakistan could make in the last innings," he said. "As it turns out we got 120-odd and bowled them out for 139 in the last innings of the game." At one stage during his post-mortem a relaxed Ponting teasingly asked all those in the press conference who had doubted his decision to raise their hands. All the Australian journalists' arms went up. "I feel better now," he said. He smiled, knowing that when it comes to Australia's Test team he knows best. "It comes down to results and we've got a great result here," he said. "So I look like a genius where I didn't a couple of days ago." So u see, he's a thinking captain :giggle:
What a load of **** A crappy performance by Pakistan and they turn it around into a master stroke
He got lucky. If it was any of the other 7 teams' date=' including WI and NZ, chasing 175 on that track, I believe they would have won. Ofcourse, no one has Akmal as a keeper, so the lead wouldn't have been more than 100 hypothetically.[/quote'] IF his batsmen had not played like nutjobs in the 1st innings, his decision would've been called confident and solid :two_thumbs_up:
IF his batsmen had not played like nutjobs in the 1st innings' date=' his decision would've been called confident and solid :two_thumbs_up:[/quote'] But he shouldn't have put his inexperienced batting line up through that in the 1st place. Should have put a confidence-lacking Pakistan side into bat and rolled them over