Superb tribute to Veeru by Wisden editor.

patriot

http://wisdencricketer.com/blogs/blog/2008/11/26/rob-smyth-indias-sehwag-one-of-the-greatest/ Excerpts:
But Sehwag is not like most cricketers. External factors – age, pitch conditions, quality of bowling, match situation, the alignment of the planets – have never penetrated the enormous bubble inside which he bats, and nor will they now:
Sehwag is a gloriously unique sportsman, who has been responsible for some of the most staggering feats in cricket history. Like his spiritual twin Adam Gilchrist, he transcends statistics, yet they are still enormously impressive. He averages 51.96 in Tests, mostly opening the batting, and allies that to a strike-rate that is comfortably the highest of any opener to have scored 500 Test runs. Sir Donald Bradman and Brian Lara are the only other men to have scored two Test triple-hundreds.
Infact Sehwag's strike rate is many moons higher than anyone who has scored 5000 + test runs. Add to that an average of 50+ as opener.
Against South Africa he hammered Test cricket’s fastest triple century, from just 278 balls (think about that: he scored 300 from 278 balls. In a TEST match). And in a low-scoring Test at Galle, against a rampant Ajantha Mendis and Muttiah Muralitharan, he blitzed India to victory with 201 not out in a total of 329. These are mind-boggling achievements, yet there is an inclination to chuckle and say, ‘Oh, that’s just Sehwag’, like a parent laughing at their child’s eccentricities. Sehwag has been compared to Sachin Tendulkar, with whom he shares a bewitching little mastery, but a more relevant reference point is surely Lara. Like Lara, Sehwag scores monstrous hundreds at breakneck speed; like Lara, his form fluctuates wildly, surely a mark of the truest genius; like Lara, when the mood takes him there is absolutely nothing a bowler can do to avoid being pummeled.
It is said of many sportsmen, but with Virender Sehwag it feels safe to opine that, truly, we will never see his like again. He’s not just great. He’s one of the greatest.
Absolutely brilliant write up, on our modest, selfless champion !!!

Absolutely Rajiv. What is most admirable about him is , he gives a fig for personal milestones and yet they are so remarkable. Infact Graham Thorpe said after the Chennai massacre of SA, that Veeru's 2nd triple was far more devastating than both Laras triples. I mean Hayden his " closest" competitor in this stake took almost 90 odd balls more to get there against the weakest attack in the world. Here Veeru did it against Steyn, Ntini and Morne Morkel in the brutal heat and humidity of Chennai. Then that toying with Mendis and Murali with almost run a ball double in GAlle - when the rest of champion spin players- Laxman, Dravid and SRT, were tied to knots by the Lankan spin duo. He's the only batter of ours whom I ve seen make thashing Mcgrath easy - that Chennai knock and WC 2003 final. Veeru is once in a lifetime.

Well...its his daringness that gives teams nightmares. Talk about hitting the first 3 deliveries of an international tour for six- this created tremendous fear in the NZ bowlers for the rest of the tour. Viv Richards did this to teams in his time. We lost 2-3 key T20 WC 2009 matches by extremely small margins - Veeru's presence, I have no doubt would have made the difference.

I think what looks like daring to us is plain natural and simplicity to Viru. Its not a complex mind that decides to dare, its just a simple mind that has never learned to fear. When I heard his interview for the first time and he said that he never thinks much about the bowler, he just hits it if its there to hit, I though he was just another showoff. Numerous players give cool sounding comments once they make their international debut. But a few innings later it was clear that he was just as simple as that statement was. He is not someone who has, by immense mental strength, achieved that state of mind where irrelevant details do not matter....he is just someone who has never wandered into the irrelevant things in life....cricket or otherwise. Then there is one great thing that in the of Dhonis and Sehwags that middle class upbringing teaches you- the survival instinct. You are relentless. Not because you know that it's the right thing to do, but because you have never learned that there could be an alternative. You persistently pursue what you want and you don't let go no matter what. Dhoni displays that to a great extent, and Sehwag also has the same instincts- an instinct that makes him go on and on and on. 50 to 100 to 150 to 200 to 250 to 300.....he would keep coming after you and he will leave you no place to hide. There have been a lot of talk on Sehwag's technique or the lack of it. I find that quite ridiculous. Some say that he does not have the right foot work. Like Gavaskar said once, his footwork is as appropriate as his game requires. He needs no more than that, does he? He is unorthodox, but effective. More technique than that will make him play worse only. Then there are those who think that he plays shots when not needed. Let me tell you, a batsman who does not know which balls to leave alone can never ever score even a double century, leave alone a triple.....completely forget about two triples. Sehwag knows which balls to leave. His definition of that however may be different. He leaves those balls alone that he is not sure he can safely score off. Its not his fault that the bowlers can not produce enough of that, is it?

great article about a great cricketer.but i feel flat pitches have a role in Viru's 50+ average.in 90's he would have struggled to average 40.simply because the pitches were tougher n there were better bowlers.he has a weakness against incoming delivery which would have been exploited by all.he has never faced the likes of Ambrose,Walsh,Wasim n Waqar.Sehwag averages 20 in NZ.26 in SA despite his debut ton when nobody knew his weakness.in Eng he has played only 4 games n averages 39.5.clearly he has problems wen the ball is swinging around.Contrary to popular belief,Sehwag doesnt have too many problems against short ball,which is why he has done so well in Aus. that said,Veeru is one of a kind.two triples,11 consecutive 150+scores,200 at Galle,all at amazing strike rate is a phenomenal record.:adore::adore::adore::adore: to the champ a

It would be foolish to speculate if Veeru would have averaged 50+ in the 90's - Pitches/bowlers don't matter when he's in one of those moods. How would Lara/SRT/Ponting...have dealt with deadly foursome WIan pace quartet of the 80's, nothing liek what they have faced in their time ? Would they have been exposed ? How would the marauding Viv Richards played Murali and Warne - arguably 2 of the greatest spinners by far. In all likelihood Veeru would have dealt with Ambrose and Walsh with the same brutality -mercilessly upper cutting those rising deliveries that most " normal " batsmen stuggle to fend. Lets hope Veeru carries on in teh same vein for 5-6 more years.

It would be foolish to speculate if Veeru would have averaged 50+ in the 90's - Pitches/bowlers don't matter when he's in one of those moods. How would Lara/SRT/Ponting...have dealt with deadly foursome WIan pace quartet of the 80's, nothing liek what they have faced in their time ? Would they have been exposed ? How would the marauding Viv Richards played Murali and Warne - arguably 2 of the greatest spinners by far. In all likelihood Veeru would have dealt with Ambrose and Walsh with the same brutality -mercilessly upper cutting those rising deliveries that most " normal " batsmen stuggle to fend. Lets hope Veeru carries on in teh same vein for 5-6 more years.
wat i meant was that Viru has a notable weakness against inswinging delivery which he can get away with now but wouldnt have in 90's wen pitches offered a lot more to bowlers.SRT,Lara r technically good,so in all likelihood they would have been okay against any attack.Ambrose n Walsh wouldn't have given him rising deliveries,they would have bowled inswingers to him..

I beg to disagree - as would most forummers here wrt to Lara's technique being very good . Its far from that, with that massive backlift. Lara has been at constant discomfort against Chukthar - who has even floored him on a couple of occasions. Veeru has biyatch slapped the same's Chukthars inswinging, indipping, pacy deliveries on either side of the wicket. Sure his technique against quality swing bowling seems suspect , because he never moves his feet,except while charging spinners - but I've seen him counter this by taking his batting stance far from the crease to negate swing. I don't think apart from Dravid and SRT anyone in the last 15 odd years has had what seems like a perfect technique.

agreed that Lara did not have as good technique as SRT,but still he did not have one major weakness like Viru's weakness with incoming deliveries.so it is safe to assume that he would have done okay against any attack. however the point of discussion is Viru,not Lara.Viru clearly has problems with inswingers n i feel he would have struggled in th 90's because of that .atleast he wouldnt have been averaging 50+

^ Totally man. How can you doubt the fricking genius of someone who never opened till he started playing international cricket - and then shows himself to be good enough to open in tests and become arguably the most unforgiving brutal test batsman of all time.

Utter bull! Lara had an awesome technique which worked for him. Same for Sach.
tell that to patriot.i believe Lara had a very good technique but not as good as SRT
And no Viru wouldn't have struggled in the 90's. No chance. None at all. The genius knows how to adapt and stay on top. K?
GENIUS?its amazing how loosely we this word.Viru is a terrific batsman.but Genius is wat comes in a lifetime,who has performed in every conditions,is complete in almost every respect.Veeru is great but not a genius.SRT is wat u call a genius if he knows how to adapt,how come he averages just 20 in NZ n 26 in SA.Clearly he has problems against swinging ball,which would have been exploited on helpful conditions that existed in 90's.if u cant accept that,u r living in denial
^ Totally man. How can you doubt the fricking genius of someone who never opened till he started playing international cricket - and then shows himself to be good enough to open in tests and become arguably the most unforgiving brutal test batsman of all time.
nobody is doubting his achievements.as i said,Veeru is one of a kind,a special cricketer